[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Tips and tricks
. . -> [Subject]  Limited number of actions for output?

Limited number of actions for output?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Natasi   (79 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:16 AM (UTC)
If I'm trying to have an aliases perform more than 21 actions, those following do not go through. I've tested this multiple times with it in my script, sent to world from alias and sent to script from alias and each time, the 22nd command and after is cut off or doesn't go through. This is what I tried....it will only do up to the first CLAP after the EYETWITCH

clap;clap;clap;clap;smile;clap;clap;clap;clap;cackle;clap;clap;clap;clap;sneer;clap;clap;clap;clap;eyetwitch;clap;clap;clap;clap;jump
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 10 Feb 2005 06:04 PM (UTC)
This sounded a bit odd, so I ran a quick test using a little program called Phantom I designed. Phantom merely echos what ever command you send back to the client as input. Makes testing triggers easier sometimes. In any case, I connected to Phantom and sent:

1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;26;27;28;29;30;31;32;33;34;35;36;37;38;39;40

It all got echoed back, so it is, as I figured, not a mushclient issue. Now, that said, most muds have a limited buffer space for commands. If you send more than a certain number the mud simply ignores all following commands. Most muds provide some ways around this, such the one I play at where I could do (though I would probably be yelled at or hibernated for spamming):

4 clap;smile;4 clap;cackle;4 clap;sneer;4 clap;eyetwitch;4 clap;jump

The mud I play on would treat this as 10 commands, not 25. For most muds 20 commands is probably more or less the limit on what can be sent without enough delay between commands for some of them to actually happen. The reason it fails at 22, is because there is probable enough time for the first command to happen, before the 21st command gets sent, so it sneaks in before the mud simply starts ignoring you. If you had a string of 70 commands, likely the 1-21, 41st and 61st commands would show up, but everything else would fail.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sat 12 Feb 2005 11:14 PM (UTC)
Anyway, with an alias just put them on separate lines. Use Ctrl+Enter to put in a linebreak, and put them under each other. The MUD will probably not object to that as much.

You can also use speedwalking to make it a bit easier, eg.

# 10 (clap)

... assuming that you have # as your speedwalk prefix.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sun 13 Feb 2005 06:57 PM (UTC)
Nah. Breaking them up using ctrl-break won't likely make much difference. The mud will still recieve them at a rate faster than it can execute them and stumble.

Even speedwalk is an issue. A one second delay, depending on the server the mud is on, may be too fast still or too slow, but two seconds is almost always going to be too slow. The problem is that is it hard to tell how many commands the mud does execute in a second, so you might merely delay the bottlenecking a bit, only to get hit by a longer group, or end up acting at a pace as slow as if you typed something like directions manually using the keypad, which isn't much help if you are trying to do something fast. You may have to experiment a bit to strike a balance or find the best way around the problem.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,947 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]