[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  International
. . -> [Subject]  Full Unicode support

Full Unicode support

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 3  4  5  

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #15 on Wed 04 Feb 2004 12:21 AM (UTC)
Nick, the german thing (the saz) is based on a german keyboard, because of letter frequencies, y and z are switched. Also, youll notice the shift number characters are different (!@#$%^&*()_+) etc. As well as ' ; [ being umlauts. Other keys are mapped differently, its just the way a german keyboard is setup. Windows automatically maps the keys to the language you have installed, it isnt a bug.

So, I would assume Japanese... or whatever else would do something similar, Im sure Cyrillic would be the same as well. (Cyrrilic is non unicode, I believe?)

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #16 on Wed 04 Feb 2004 12:24 AM (UTC)
I didn't think it was a bug, it was just that what I typed didn't match the keyboard I had to hand.

What I really want is to know how to input Unicode characters using my existing setup. :)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #17 on Mon 09 Feb 2004 11:07 PM (UTC)
I am pleased to say that MUSHclient version 3.43 will support, at least partly, Unicode in the form of UTF-8 characters arriving from the MUD. This is an option, as UTF-8 uses the high-order bit of a character which some people will currently be using for simple ASCII accented letters.

Here is a screen dump showing it in action ...

I am having trouble testing it properly as my version of Windows does not allow Unicode to be typed into the command window (in any case, I don't know where I would find, say, Russian letters on my keyboard), however by using the Debug window to push UTF-8 characters onto the screen, it seems to work OK.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #18 on Tue 10 Feb 2004 02:06 AM (UTC)
Umm.. I hope that this can be turned off? The mud I play at uses the high bit for its normal purpose and a few things I use myself emply such letters. It may seriously screw up a lot more people than you think if it is on by default and can't be disabled... In fact this is bound to be even worse on mine, since I use a non-TTF font, which doesn't even have the unicode ranges in it. I am not sure how Windows handles that situation, but...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #19 on Tue 10 Feb 2004 02:46 AM (UTC)

Quote:

This is an option, as UTF-8 uses the high-order bit of a character which some people will currently be using for simple ASCII accented letters.

Yes, it can be turned off, and it is off by default.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #20 on Mon 16 Feb 2004 10:39 PM (UTC)

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #21 on Tue 17 Feb 2004 10:55 AM (UTC)
As for unicode, I haven't tried, because the MUD I play on won't accept it... I can try to send/receive greek but I'm not sure if it will be Unicode or just chars on the upper ASCII range... How can I send and receive Unicode?

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #22 on Tue 17 Feb 2004 10:15 PM (UTC)

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #23 on Tue 17 Feb 2004 10:40 PM (UTC)

How can I send and receive Unicode?

I was hoping *you* would know that. :)

First, go to Output configuration and check the UTF-8 (Unicode) box.

Then you could go to the debug window (Shift+Ctrl+F12) and enter:

Test: \ce\a4\ce\b7\20\ce\b3\ce\bb\cf\8e\0a

That (with a suitable font) should at least show some Greek letters on the screen (as per the screen dump above).

Now that you have some Unicode text on the screen, you could select it (shift-double-click to select a line), copy and paste down into the command window.

Then try saying or think it, eg.

think blah blah (whatever you copied)

Now, depending on the MUD server, you may or may not see it all echoed back. For example, SMAUG (stock) does not recognise the 8-bit set, and will not necessarily echo back the Unicode text, nor does PennMUSH.

The patch for SMAUG, if you have your own server, is on this site in a recent forum message. I'll investigate PennMUSH.

Now if your keyboard is setup for Greek letters (and don't ask me how to do that) you should in theory be able to type something like:

think <some Greek text>

and have it sent to the MUD, and echoed back, all correctly. Well, that is the theory.

As for testing if it is really Unicode or just high-order ASCII, turn on packet debug for a couple of packets and inspect the text.

Send something short like:

think (one letter)

You should see something like this in the packet debug:

Sent  packet: 9 (10 bytes)

think ....         74 68 69 6e 6b 20 ce a4 0d 0a

The UTF-8 (Unicode) letter is in bold, but you see it takes two bytes. One has the high-order two bits on (Cx), the other doesn't.

The response back from the MUD should look similar (two bytes per Greek character).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #24 on Wed 18 Feb 2004 11:21 PM (UTC)
OK, I entered the text in the debug window, came out fine, so Unicode works... When I just entered Greek in it, nothing came out (because it was ASCII, not Unicode), and when I switched off UTF-8 the ASCII text got displayed. As for sending Greek to SMAUG and getting it back, the MUD I play just omits the high-order ASCII for greek to what it echoes back, and I don't have a unicode server I could try it on... Hm, let me make a small program that echoes back what i send...

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #25 on Wed 18 Feb 2004 11:30 PM (UTC)
OK, I made a small greek textfile and had it echoed to MC, at first I saved it as unicode and garbage came out, then I saved it as UTF-8 and it showed up correctly. It is unicode, I turned on the packet debugger and it's 2 bytes per character... Well done :)
Oh, and, of course my keyboard is set up for greek :P Even though it's easy to do that too, just go to the language panel and add Greek to your keyboard layout, so you can test it yourself... I'm using the English edition of WinXP and everything shows up in Greek correctly. The keyboard is a standard 104-key one, have fun typing weird letters :P

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #26 on Thu 19 Feb 2004 12:20 AM (UTC)
The trick will be to find a MUD that supports UTF-8.

I posted the patch for SMAUG, and am in negotiations with the PennMUSH developers. At this stage, PennMUSH doesn't support UTF-8, because of a test (isprint) in the input routine, and concerns about length-testing of strings.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by PaulTB   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #27 on Mon 13 Sep 2004 01:16 PM (UTC)

Could you tell me where that is? I've had quite a thorough Google around and failed to find it.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #28 on Tue 14 Sep 2004 12:48 AM (UTC)
My earlier message on this page referred to "a recent forum post". See this:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=3757

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by PaulTB   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #29 on Tue 14 Sep 2004 11:04 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 16 Sep 2004 11:47 AM (UTC) by PaulTB

Ah, thanks a lot. I'll try it out right away.

I'd like to have a Japanese supporting MUD running - so far I only know of one MOO (MOOsaico) which (sort of) supports Japanese text display / entry.

[EDIT]
Hmm, it compiled but it didn't actually change matters.

I guess I'll have to have a look at isprint
[EDIT2]
[...]
[EDIT3]
Ah, I think it needs
setlocale
to be used if it's going to work properly.
[EDIT4]
And if it's a multi-byte locale then you can't call printf to check a single byte.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

201,660 views.

This is page 2, subject is 5 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 3  4  5  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]