[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  VBscript
. . -> [Subject]  Browsers and mushclient

Browsers and mushclient

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Ishnaf   Australia  (17 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 27 Sep 2002 04:47 PM (UTC)
Is it possible to use forms and vbscript to send 'stuff' (such as speedwalk directions) to mushclient. My basic plan is to create a page where you click a button to walk to an area, and then a browser comes up with mob list / eq / etc.

I figured a form integrated with VBScript could do this.... But im guessing active x controls would have to be integrated to the page.... Is this possible?

Thanks,
Ishnaf

egads!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 27 Sep 2002 11:11 PM (UTC)
Not without some workaround. In general controls can only be displayed if specifically supported or the client is a 'document container'. Mushclient neither supports controls nor provides such contianer support.

However, there is nothing to stop you from creating a VB Basic or similar program that provides these features. You just have to provide the 'form' or 'window' to display them, since mushclient has no support for such things or the direct display of object in its own window. I have been fiddling with a couple ideas, but short of using HTML and the core of Infernal Exploder, there are no simple solutions. And I don't really consider IE a valid solution.

Eventually, if I figure it out, I plan to allow the user to create a blank form, then either add object indiviually or through a form description a bit like used in the compiler IDEs. However, this will limit the types of things you can display, even assuming I manage to get it to work.

But short of creating such an external window in an ActiveX program and using it to do these things.. your out of luck for now.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 27 Sep 2002 11:47 PM (UTC)
You can do it from a VB program, but right now it is a bit inelegant, to say the least. Here is an example of what I am playing with ...

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim world As world
Dim otherworld As world

Set world = CreateObject("MUSHclient.world")

Set otherworld = world.GetWorld("nickmud")

otherworld.Note "Hi there"

Set world = Nothing
  Set otherworld = Nothing
End Sub

You need to add the mushclient.tlb file to the "References" menu item, and then it will recognise the World object type.

However the problem with this is that to instantiate the first world object (CreateObject("MUSHclient.world")) the standard MUSHclient dialog appears "Preload world defaults from an existing world?" and then the configuration dialog for you to enter the world name and IP address. This isn't very smooth.

However if you get past that point, and you have *another* world called "nickmud" (in my example) then the otherworld.note works.

What I need to do is change MUSHclient so that you can do a "getworld" or "getworldlist" without needing an existing world, thus avoiding the Catch-22 situation.

Stay tuned, I'll see what I can do.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 28 Sep 2002 04:07 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 28 Sep 2002 04:08 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

The fundamental problem as I see it is if you try to start your external app first, and then call MUSHclient, you don't have a "world" object to use, and thus you can't do world.anything.

However, if you start MUSHclient, then call the external app, it all works fine.

This is pretty similar to an earlier post (subject 405) however this one actually shows a form that you can click to do nice things ...

1. Copy the stuff between the lines below and save into the file names in bold (excluding the file name itself, of course).
  2. Start Visual Basic
  3. Open project mc_example_project.vbp (as saved to disk in step 1).
  4. Go to the File menu and choose "Make mc_example_project.exe"

The above steps have created a ActiveX file that can be called from MUSHclient.

mc_example_project.vbp Type=OleExe Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#E:\WINNT\System32\StdOle2.Tlb#OLE Automation Reference=*\G{11DFC5E7-AD6F-11D0-8EAE-00A0247B3BFD}#1.0#0#c:\mushclient\MUSHclient.tlb#MUSHclient Class=mc_example_class; mc_example_class.cls Form=Form1.frm Module=Module1; Module1.bas Startup="(None)" ExeName32="mc_example_project.exe" Command32="" Name="mc_example_project" HelpContextID="0" CompatibleMode="1" CompatibleEXE32="mc_example_project.exe" MajorVer=1 MinorVer=0 RevisionVer=0 AutoIncrementVer=0 ServerSupportFiles=0 VersionCompanyName="Gammon Software Solutions" CompilationType=0 OptimizationType=0 FavorPentiumPro(tm)=0 CodeViewDebugInfo=0 NoAliasing=0 BoundsCheck=0 OverflowCheck=0 FlPointCheck=0 FDIVCheck=0 UnroundedFP=0 StartMode=1 Unattended=0 Retained=0 ThreadPerObject=0 MaxNumberOfThreads=1 DebugStartupOption=0
    Form1.frm VERSION 5.00 Begin VB.Form Form1 Caption = "Form1" ClientHeight = 5145 ClientLeft = 60 ClientTop = 345 ClientWidth = 6270 LinkTopic = "Form1" ScaleHeight = 5145 ScaleWidth = 6270 StartUpPosition = 3 'Windows Default Begin VB.CommandButton Command3 Caption = "Send It" Height = 495 Left = 4200 TabIndex = 5 Top = 4440 Width = 1215 End Begin VB.TextBox DataToSend Height = 375 Left = 1440 TabIndex = 4 Text = "Command" Top = 4440 Width = 2295 End Begin VB.CommandButton Command2 Caption = "Get World List" Height = 495 Left = 240 TabIndex = 2 Top = 3480 Width = 2055 End Begin VB.ListBox List1 Height = 2010 Left = 240 TabIndex = 1 Top = 1200 Width = 4095 End Begin VB.CommandButton Command1 Caption = "test button" Height = 615 Left = 360 TabIndex = 0 Top = 240 Width = 1455 End Begin VB.Label Label1 Caption = "Send:" Height = 255 Left = 360 TabIndex = 3 Top = 4440 Width = 975 End End Attribute VB_Name = "Form1" Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False Attribute VB_Creatable = False Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = True Attribute VB_Exposed = False Option Explicit Private Sub Command1_Click() If gWorld Is Nothing Then Exit Sub gWorld.Note "test button clicked" End Sub Private Sub Command2_Click() Dim worldlist, item worldlist = gWorld.GetWorldList For Each item In worldlist List1.AddItem item Next End Sub Private Sub Command3_Click() Dim thedata thedata = DataToSend.Text gWorld.Send thedata End Sub
    mc_example_project.vbw mc_example_class = 39, 31, 557, 468, C Form1 = 154, 154, 672, 591, C, 86, 40, 604, 477, C Module1 = 176, 176, 694, 613, C
    mc_example_class.cls VERSION 1.0 CLASS BEGIN MultiUse = -1 'True Persistable = 0 'NotPersistable DataBindingBehavior = 0 'vbNone DataSourceBehavior = 0 'vbNone MTSTransactionMode = 0 'NotAnMTSObject END Attribute VB_Name = "mc_example_class" Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False Attribute VB_Creatable = True Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = False Attribute VB_Exposed = True Sub Initialise_me(theworld As World) ' ' save pointer to the calling world ' Set gWorld = theworld ' ' debug - message to world ' gWorld.Note "MC Example initialised" Form1.Show ' show our first form End Sub
    Module1.bas Attribute VB_Name = "Module1" ' ' Global pointer to the world that initialised us ' Public gWorld As World

Finally, to test it out in MUSHclient, open a Immediate window, enter the following and hit Run ...

dim x

set x = createobject ("mc_example_project.mc_example_class")
    if x is nothing then msgbox "oh no"

x.Initialise_me  (World)
    set test = nothing

This should show the Form from the Visual Basic project, you can then click on the buttons to send a command to the world, get a list of open worlds, and so on.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Ishnaf   Australia  (17 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sun 29 Sep 2002 12:52 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 29 Sep 2002 03:51 PM (UTC) by Ishnaf

ok, I've got Mushclient and VB and a Database talking together :P. Im making a little speedwalk project atm... I'll keep everyone posted as it should be useful because it combines a few VB subjects together.

Just editing this with new problems: I'm trying to create a 'search' to allow the user to search for an area through the VB Form. Any ideas? I'd like to be able to match part of the name of the area and i'm not quite sure how to do this in VB... Any ideas?

egads!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 30 Sep 2002 09:15 PM (UTC)
Use "instr" which searches for one string inside another.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,766 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]