[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  OnPluginPlaySound - Possible bug

OnPluginPlaySound - Possible bug

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Kathan   USA  (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 25 Jul 2014 11:49 PM (UTC)

I'm working on a plugin and I wanted to make it so that the sounds would work regardless of the MUSHclient folder's location. After searching the forums I decided to use the OnPluginPlaySound callback.

function OnPluginPlaySound (s)
    Sound (GetInfo(57) .. "Sounds\" .. s)
end -- OnPluginPlaySound

I renamed the sounds in the plugin to just the file names and everything worked great. Then I noticed that the sounds in my world triggers were making beeps instead of playing the correct sounds.

After some troubleshooting, I changed the OnPluginPlaySound to print some Notes.

Note (GetInfo(57))
    Note (s)
    Note (GetInfo(57) .. "Sounds\" .. s)

end -- OnPluginPlaySound

I then used Simulate to continue testing sound triggers from outside the plugin and from inside the plugin. To my surprise, the triggers outside the plugin were also being processed by the OnPluginPlaySound function. MUSHclient was simply passing the enitre path of the sound file as 's'.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MUSHclient\worlds\   -- GetInfo(57)
C:\Program Files (x86)\MUSHclient\worlds\Sounds\Mine.wav  -- s
C:\Program Files (x86)\MUSHclient\worlds\Sounds\C:\Program Files (x86)\MUSHclient\worlds\Sounds\Mine.wav  -- GetInfo(57) .. "Sounds\" .. s

I read the help file for OnPluginPlaySound and I'm honestly not sure if this is intended behavior or not. However, my understanding was that plugins were intended to stand on their own. It doesn't make sense to me that OnPluginPlaySound grabs sounds from outside the plugin where it is called.

If this is intended behavior, maybe we could get a version OnThisPluginPlaySound or something that only grabs internal sounds?

I came up with the following workaround that has solved my problem for now.

b, e = string.find (s, "^%a:\")   -- check if s begins with drive letter 
  if b and e then                    -- if both are true, then s began with a drive letter
  	Sound (s)                    -- so play s without prepending anything to it
  else
  end -- if

end -- OnPluginPlaySound
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,989 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 26 Jul 2014 01:11 AM (UTC)
Yes that is intended behaviour because in this particular case the OnPluginPlaySound is supposed to be a global replacement for playing sounds (from anywhere).

There are a few similar callbacks, like OnPluginTrace. These are intended to allow you to "drop in" a plugin to catch things that otherwise would have default behaviour.

In these cases it doesn't make sense for the effect to be limited to the plugin in question. Effectively the plugin is providing a "hook" to functionality provided elsewhere.

In the case of OnPluginPlaySound it was intended (as I recall) that it be used to allow you to use PlaySound (rather than Sound) to allow for multiple sounds to be played simultaneously (or overlapping) without changing all the code (including internal code like trigger sounds) that used to previously call the simpler sound functions.

See the release notes for version 3.69:

http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/showrelnote.php?version=3.69&productid=0

You can make a local handler for the Sound function using a similar technique to what I described here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12522

local function make_sound_func (f)
  return function (s)
    if string.match (s, "^%a:\\") then  -- see if s began with a drive letter
      f (s)                             -- so play s without prepending anything to it
    else
      f (GetInfo(66) .. "Sounds\\" .. s)
    end -- if
  end -- function
end -- make_check_func 

-- see if already done
local t = debug.getinfo (Sound, "S")

if t.short_src == "[C]" then  -- if not already converted
  world.Sound = make_sound_func (Sound)
end -- if

This replaces (in the current script space) the Sound function by one which does the extra checks you wanted. I changed your GetInfo from 57 to 66 for testing.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,989 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sat 26 Jul 2014 01:12 AM (UTC)
Or more simply, just make your own function MySound which has the tests for the filename, and have it call Sound. That might be a bit clearer.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sat 26 Jul 2014 01:17 AM (UTC)
I should also point out that the default behaviour of Sound is to respect a full pathname, and play that, otherwise it looks inside the MUSHclient "sounds" folder. Thus you shouldn't really need to care where that is, nor should you need to write a function to replicate that check.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 26 Jul 2014 04:45 AM (UTC)
Alright, that makes sense. Thanks for the information!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 26 Jul 2014 04:57 AM (UTC)
Also I somehow read that help documentation 3 or 4 times with out seeing the line:

Quote:
If it finds a plugin with the OnPluginPlaySound function defined, then that is called, and the internal sound-player is not used

I apologize for being blind.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,243 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]