[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Improvements to user interface in version 4.65
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Improvements to user interface in version 4.65

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Fri 22 Oct 2010 04:46 AM (UTC)
In response to a number of comments and suggestions, version 4.65 will have some improvements to the lists of triggers, aliases and timers in the world configuration dialog.

Optionally, you can display the information as a tree view, like this:

Compare this to the "classic" view of the same information:

The tree view groups your triggers, aliases and timers by the group that you have assigned them to, with "(ungrouped)" being used for those items in no group.

The groups are shown in alphabetic order.

Inside each group, the triggers and aliases are sorted into sequence order. Note that the order of evaluation for items of the same sequence is not defined, so they may not be evaluated in exactly the order shown.

You can edit items in the usual way, by clicking on the Edit button, or double-clicking the item in the view.

At any time you can switch back and forth between "classic" and "tree" view by clicking on the Tree View checkbox.

You will hopefully find this helps organize large numbers of triggers or aliases better. As the example shows, you might put pvp and healing triggers into separate groups.

Tree controls only allow single selections, so copying or removing multiple items whilst in tree view will not be possible. However you can always switch back to "classic" view to do that. Alternatively, an entire group can be copied or deleted.

You may also find that the Find button is handy to locate an item, since the groups are initially not expanded.

A further enhancement is that the configuration dialog now remembers the last selected item, and re-selects it when you re-open the dialog.

I found it annoying to be editing a trigger, testing it, and then having to find it again in the list to make an amendment. Now, the trigger you last worked on will be reselected.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:14 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:18 AM (UTC) by Twisol

That looks really good! I don't like how the label is put after the match text in brackets, though: I didn't even notice that they were the labels until I saw that there was text after a $ sign and investigated.

Are there any plans for an extension to the filter system? A way to customize the tree levels and groupings would be fantastic. Something like this, maybe:
function filter(name, trigger)
  local enabled = trigger.enabled and "Enabled" or "Disabled"

local branch = ("%s|%s"):format(trigger.group, enabled)
  local label = trigger.name

return group, trigger.name
end

And that would produce something like:
antitheft
  |- Enabled
     * put_gold_back
mapping
  |- Enabled
    * map_start
  |- Disabled
    * map_inner
    * map_end

To be precise: In tree-view mode, the first result from filter() is a pipe-delimited list of branch names (i.e. "antitheft|Enabled"), or false if it should not be displayed; and the second result is the label to display for this item. This should be backwards-compatible with list-view mode, so long as everything not false or nil is taken as true.

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:17 AM (UTC)

I don't like how the label is put after the match text in brackets, though...

Your alternative being ... ?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:20 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 22 Oct 2010 06:22 AM (UTC) by Twisol

Your alternative being ... ?

Would it be possible to italicize the label, or make it visually distinct in some other way? Like I said, I didn't even notice it was separate from the match text until I looked closely. What if the trigger is named similarly to part of the trigger? It's visually ambiguous.

[EDIT]: I edited the last paragraph of my previous post to make it a little more sensible: I changed it to use filter instead of some new tree_filter method.

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 22 Oct 2010 11:20 AM (UTC)
Looking at it, I must say the tree view lacks clarity. It should be possible to put column in for trees as well - for example, Process Explorer implements the list of processes that way, and while it might eye a tad-bit busy, it is quite customizable and helps with the general overview. The entire 'adding in name and such behind the match text' is a bit confusing in my eyes.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 22 Oct 2010 10:05 PM (UTC)

I don't like how the label is put after the match text in brackets, though ...

You have a point - that was a bit experimental. I took it out.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

5,465 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]