[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Plugins
. . -> [Subject]  Mapper for Achaea

Mapper for Achaea

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Tue 09 Mar 2010 03:17 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 17 Apr 2010 01:39 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

If anyone wants to play with the work-in-progress mapper plugin I am working on, you can grab a copy from here:

http://github.com/nickgammon/plugins/raw/master/Achaea_Mapper.xml (EDIT: changed name to ATCP_Mapper)

http://github.com/nickgammon/plugins/raw/master/ATCP_Mapper.xml

(Just save the contents of that page as Achaea_Mapper.xml and install in the usual way).

You also need the ATCP_NJG plugin which sends the current room location, name and exits:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=10129

You probably also need the latest gauge.lua from here:

http://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/raw/master/lua/gauge.lua

(put in the lua directory)

And also checkplugin.lua from here:

http://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/blob/master/lua/checkplugin.lua

The mapper generates an empty mapping database if you don't have one (which you won't, yet). I am working with the Achaea admins to get a preloaded database which will show much more information without you having to walk around mapping rooms yourself.

Until that happens, the mapper only knows of the room you are in, and its current exits. If you take an exit, it then knows where the exit leads. If you then go back to where you came it knows the new room leads back to the old one. As you walk around, entering rooms, and then backtracking to where you came from, it will gradually learn the topography of the place.

• A dashed line indicates an exit it knows exists, but doesn't know where it leads. In other words, follow the dashed lines, that make them become continuous lines, which indicates it knows where that exit goes.

• You can RH-click on any room to speedwalk to that room.

• A purple connecting line indicates an up/down connection. A cyan line indicates an in/out connection.

• You can type "map zoom in" or "map zoom out" to zoom the map in or out (which makes the room boxes larger or smaller). I have those set up as a macro (F2 and F3) to make zooming fast and easy.

• You can type "map find <place>" to search the room names for matching words, eg.

> map find path

Path north of the fire pit (road) - 1 room away
    Tree-lined path (road) - 2 rooms away
    There were 3 room(s) found which I cannot find the path to within 50 rooms from here.

Click on any of the listed hyperlinks to speedwalk to that room. Speedwalking takes the shortest known path.

• You can hover the mouse over any room on the map and an information box will pop up giving the room name, exits, room number and area.

At present the area will be "Area 0" - in the preloaded database the areas will be known.

• The mapper always draws the current room first, and then the rooms connected to the first room's exits, and then repeats for each of those rooms. The net effect is that sometimes the map appearance changes as you move around, because it doesn't draw rooms on top of each other. If the number of rooms shown seems to have decreased, try walking back to where you were before.

• Sometimes fixing up one-way directions (those with a small arrow on them) by walking to and from a room will suddenly make a lot more of the map appear, as the mapper knows now where rooms lead.

• Paths you have visited recently (in the last 5 minutes) are shown with a thicker line, so you can see which way you came from.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 03:19 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 09 Mar 2010 03:23 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

If you click on the asterisk in the bottom left corner you can configure the colours used, the size of the map, and the number of rooms it draws outwards from where you are.

You can move the mapper around by dragging the title (the current room name).

You are always the black square in the center with the thicker border.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 03:22 AM (UTC)
- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 03:27 AM (UTC)
The mapper is subject to change, however comments are welcome.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Larkin   (278 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 06:09 PM (UTC)
I have my own massive Lua/XML mapper (non-plugin) for MUSHclient, based on the MudBot mapper module. It's a bit sluggish, but it does what I want well enough.

That's an awesome screenshot, though! I want my mapper to do that!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 06:59 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:00 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

My mapper is pretty fast. Timing shows it renders in about 0.001 seconds.

This is what it looks like with the preloaded database, which shows area names:

Your current area is rendered in a different colour, to make it more obvious where area boundaries are.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:04 PM (UTC)
A configuration option to hide rooms that aren't in the same area might be nice. It looks incredibly good so far though!

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:05 PM (UTC)
And this is the pygmy village, zoomed out:

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:06 PM (UTC)

A configuration option to hide rooms that aren't in the same area might be nice. It looks incredibly good so far though!

Since you can configure colours, just configure the rooms to be almost invisible. :)

Although you have a point, you can't configure line colours yet.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:08 PM (UTC)
I am wrong, you *can* configure line colours. However you can't configure line colours differently for different areas.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:10 PM (UTC)
Maybe in different areas the line colours should be the room box colours - that would make them lighter, and do you really care if a room, 20 rooms away, has an up/down exit?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:11 PM (UTC)
Since you have to create a new option one way or the other, why not go with the one clearer for the end-user? It's easier to say "Show only current area" than it is to say "Make non-area rooms invisible, and non-area exits invisible".

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:12 PM (UTC)

Maybe in different areas the line colours should be the room box colours - that would make them lighter, and do you really care if a room, 20 rooms away, has an up/down exit?

That's a great idea, though I think there should still be the one-click option of hiding other areas altogether. For full views, though, visual cues like that are excellent.

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:15 PM (UTC)
Until I get more info from Achaea, the map you make will put everything in Area 0, so there is no point in such an option just yet. However your idea is noted.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:35 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:36 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

The "map find" alias uses the Sqlite3 Full Text Search functionality, so you can do things like this:

545h, 440m ex- map find chief beku

Before Chief Beku's hut - 5 rooms away
Chief Beku's council room - 7 rooms away

545h, 440m ex- map find chief NOT beku

Reception room in the Chief's hut - 6 rooms away
Hall in hut of Tomacula chief - 22 rooms away
Chief of Tomacula's sleeping area - 23 rooms away
There were 8 room(s) found which I cannot find the path to within 50 rooms from here.

545h, 440m ex- map find bath* 

Caldinarius Street outside the baths - 42 rooms away
Atrium of the Citizens' Baths - 43 rooms away
Steaming pools of the Baths - 44 rooms away
Outside the resident bathhouse - 47 rooms away
The Shala'jen bathhouse - 48 rooms away
Bathroom in the House of Delights - 49 rooms away
There were 15 room(s) found which I cannot find the path to within 50 rooms from here.

545h, 440m ex- map find bedchamber OR bathroom

Bathroom in the House of Delights - 49 rooms away
A quaint bedchamber - 50 rooms away
There were 28 room(s) found which I cannot find the path to within 50 rooms from here.

Basically the full-text search lets you search for full words, words with a wildcard suffix (eg. bath*), one word OR another word, one word AND another word, one word but NOT another word, and one word NEAR another word. Plus you can use brackets to group stuff.

The special operators (AND, NOR, NOT, NEAR) have to be in caps for them to take effect.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

433,040 views.

This is page 1, subject is 13 pages long: 1 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]