[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Remove/Disable Splash Screen for Registered Users

Remove/Disable Splash Screen for Registered Users

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Keith Farmer   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 30 Jan 2002 11:45 PM (UTC)
Having paid my money (and I consider it worth it), I would hope for the ability to turn off the splash screen on startup. Is this already supported, and I just haven't noticed (3.17 from 3.04 today).
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 01 Feb 2002 06:29 AM (UTC)
Splash screens are pretty standard for most software, including registered copies. :)

For one thing, they have the registered user name on them, so if you start up the program and people looking over your shoulder see someone else's name, we can only hope they will shame you into purchasing your own copy. Of course, this doesn't apply in your case. :)

The splash screen can be dismissed by a keystroke or mouse click, or after the elapsed time (I think, around 4 seconds).

Meanwhile, any MUDs you have specified as worlds to "open at startup" are opening, behind the splash screen. So the splash screen does not slow you down at all, and as I said, you can eliminate it by typing a keystroke (eg. the Ctrl key) while you are looking at it.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Magnum   Canada  (580 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 01 Feb 2002 09:41 PM (UTC)
I would actually prefer it if the window title did not read "MUSHclient (Registered to Magnum Mushclient) - [Ages of Despair]

Sure, continue to have it say "unregistered" when that is the case, but don't advertise my name when it IS registered.

Suppose, for example, that I was the victim of a trojan infection, and using MUSHclient, I would likely be connected to the internet. Trojan master takes a screenshot and now they know my name.

Placing the user's name in the title bar only serves to make the client's privacy LESS secure.

Good thing that's not my real name! :)

Get my plugins here: http://www.magnumsworld.com/muds/

Constantly proving I don't know what I am doing...
Magnum.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 04 Feb 2002 01:11 AM (UTC)
I see what you mean, but if your PC is infected I think that screenshots from MUSHclient will be the least of your worries. For example, it could find your name in the Registry, or in a screen shot of an email you are writing, and so on...

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 04 Feb 2002 08:17 PM (UTC)

You're absolutely correct; Screenshots of MUSHclient would be the least of one's worries.

One thing I've learned over the years, PC's are very insecure. You'd have a very hard time finding my real name on my PC, even in the registry...

...It's why I registered using a false name. You seem like an absolutely straight-up guy, but if I don't even want my real name on my PC, you can bet I don't want it on someone else's. :)

Magnum.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 06 Feb 2002 01:27 AM (UTC)
Also, if you are concerned about security I would install a firewall, at least a personal one, or better still, take an old PC you have lying around, install OpenBSD on it, and work out how to make it a firewall between the Internet and you.

I have done this, and find about 20 or 30 attempted incursions *each day*. So, if you aren't using one, what you don't know might be hurting you.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 06 Feb 2002 05:54 PM (UTC)

"Tiny Personal Firewall" is a good selection for Windoze firewall software.

Magnum.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,953 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]