[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  MUSHclient ports (QT)

MUSHclient ports (QT)

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by By-Tor   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 28 Jan 2002 01:53 AM (UTC)
Since I am unable to get a recent version of MUSHclient to
run under WINE, and I have seen only limited discussion of
this previously... Have you considered porting to the QT
library? This is the same toolkit used by Opera to provide
exceptional portability. I am unfamiliar with QT APIs
myself, but if they provide a suitable replacement to MFC,
a port should be feasible. I for one would certainly pay
for a FreeBSD port (or, a Linux port running under
emulation).
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,986 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 28 Jan 2002 09:51 PM (UTC)
It is probably feasible to port MUSHclient to QT however it would be a lot of work. For one thing there are dozens of dialog boxes that need to be redone, reworking the various MFC constructs (eg. lists, maps, message handling and so on).

Then there would be the issue of - would there be one or two lots of source? If two lots, then every future bug fix needs to be done twice.

I like the idea, but the effort involved might be better spent doing something different, eg. another MUD server which I am thinking about, which is also a lot of work. :)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Neva   USA  (117 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sat 02 Feb 2002 02:48 AM (UTC)

The selection of graphical clients in Linux sucks eggs.

There are five million MU* servers out there, and yet all Linux gets as far as clients with, you know, silly things ilke the ability to scroll back... is a graphical version of TF that doesn't work very well, in my experience, and Kmud, which doesn't even have a KDE2 version finished yet, and KDE3's on the horizon.

To be quite honest, my not migrating to Linux has nothing to do with not being able to use Microsoft Office or any of those typical excuses. I just can't live on Tinyfugue. Sigh.

I don't suppose it helps that porting MUSHclient would be a much greater service to humanity? ;)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,986 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 04 Feb 2002 01:15 AM (UTC)
So you think if MUSHclient is ported to Linux, then that will be the beginning of the end for Microsoft? ;)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 18 Oct 2002 09:38 PM (UTC)
MUSHclient 3.27 has now been tested successfully under Wine. Note that Wine is an alpha release and it may not work for you, but using the latest release of Wine it seems to work OK with a few quirks.

Currently tested under codeweavers-wine-20020904-7.i386.rpm running under Debian 3.0 "Woody" release, using 4.2.1 of the XFree86 XWindows release.

You need to use the /wine command-line switch to MUSHclient in order to disable certain things (like COM objects and scripting) that don't currently work properly.

eg.

wine mushclient.exe /wine

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Ranthony   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Thu 27 Feb 2003 03:41 AM (UTC)
Downloaded Mc. a couple of days ago, works beautifully on 2k. I really like the layout, so I figured hey, let's try this on my linux box. Installed and runs just fine, my problem occurs when I try to actually connect to a mud. (tried two so far, forsakenlands and WOT) When I click the connect icon, the world window shows "connecting to (IP of the mud)" and does nothing more. I have let it sit for a good 45 minutes, just to make sure that it wasn't my connection that was lagging as well as using my other mud client. Kmud had no issues connecting to the muds. Any ideas on this? I never do get a cannot connect error.
I'll give some more info on versions, etc below.

wine release 20010731
MUSHclient version 3.32
Running RH7.2 using a dialup through rp3(wvdial)

Under windows socket info (File menu of MUSH)

Version 0101
High version 0202
Description WINE Sockets 2.0
Status linux/i386
Max sockets 128
Hostname mercury
Our address(es) 127.0.0.1 (this is the part I wonder about, it doesn't list my ppp ip)

I've gone through the wine config file, and there doesn't appear to be a network section. Also there is no list of any network issues like this on the wine site. Figured I'd air this, maybe someone else has had it, and knows what to do. If not, maybe others will.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 27 Feb 2003 08:52 AM (UTC)
You tried MUSHclient under Wine version 20010731 however my successful test was under 20020904.

Assuming the version number represents year/month/day, your version is almost a year older.

I suggest trying a newer version.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Ranthony   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Thu 27 Feb 2003 05:56 PM (UTC)
Thanks for the suggestion, I suppose that was an old version. Downloaded the latest stable from the wine site (20020411) in rpm format. Reinstallation of mushclient went well, however, now the client will not run. Once the initial splash screen is gone, the main window appears for a few seconds, and then disappears. The debug output doesn't give any useful information, except for the fact that winedbg isn't setup correctly. I'm just going to try to download both wine and mushclient again, getting the exact versions that are known to work with each other. 04-11-2002 still seems pretty old, Guess it's time to hop on to the cvs tree. :-P Thanks again for the help!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 04 Mar 2003 01:01 AM (UTC)
Make sure you execute with the /wine option. I think the first time I tried it, it didn't work, but the second time it did, for unknown reasons.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Azure   Australia  (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sat 06 Dec 2003 12:26 AM (UTC)
MUSHclient Version: 3.42

I get the same problem, though it seems random. Sometimes (rarely) it does connect, othertimes it doesn't. I do use the '/wine' at the end as the various sources say.

Can anymore help be given on this?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Mon 08 Dec 2003 06:36 AM (UTC)
Hard to say, the version of Wine that worked is much earlier than that. I haven't tried it recently.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

27,871 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]