[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  SWR help

SWR help

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Thecrawly   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 29 Jun 2004 10:16 AM (UTC)
I used Cygwin to extract SWR yesterday. I tried to modify it using the same steps as for SMAUG but the code wasnt similar so I simply compiled it and tried to run the .exe from windows (winxp). It said it couldnt find a .dll file. Im at work now so I dont remember the name of it but it was something with crypt and cygwin in the filename.

Anyway, instead of running it from windows I started it from Cygwin and it started smoothly. I connected locally from the same machine (with the outstanding mushclient programmed by Mr.Gammon).
Everything worked beutiful.

After this I called a friend of mine and asked him to connect to my machine on port 4000. Well, he connected, and this is what bugs me... he didnt get into the mud but his client said he was connected. When I checked in my statuswindow it said his IP had connected as well...

I doublechecked the firewall but since I ran it from Cygwin im not sure how things work...

Can anyone help me with some advice?
Do I have to modify to code and run the .exe file outside Cygwin?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 29 Jun 2004 04:47 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 29 Jun 2004 04:49 PM (UTC) by Greven

No, you don't. Running it inside or outside should make very little difference as to whether it works. If it works inside, all the better. Try these things:

When he says he has connected but its just hanging there, type users and see if the mud has registerded something an IP. You can see connected people there even at the very beginning of the connection process.

If you can see him, but nothing in coming up, try connecting to your own IP instead of localhost, see what happens. As a side note, do you have a router/switch? You may need to configure settings on this.

If you cannot see him on the list, then its a good possibility that he has connected to something else that may be running. Try changing the port and see if that works.

You can also try disabling the firewall for a few minutes to see if that is the issue. Just turn it off, and have him connect again. If it works at that point, you know you need to configure something else in your firewall.

Hope that help.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 30 Jun 2004 07:26 AM (UTC)
Actually, the fault probably lies outside even the computer. I have recently had some problems with my connection (which is about to get fixed). One of the effects is heavy packetloss. Just to rule out that Cygwin was the culprit I tried three different muds (SMAUG from windows, SWR from Cygwin and DoT from win) and they all yielded the same result. He got connected but didnt actually recieve anything on his client. I could see that he connected in the statuswindow but noticed that SMAUG (I think) reported a bug at the line after each connection (ill check the exact wordning when I get home but I think it was something with auth**?

I connected from localhost which worked and I also connected from the same machine but instead of 127.0.0.1 I typed in the IP but I really dont know if it makes any difference... It worked anyway.

But if it is the connection, shouldnt he be recieving something, even if erronous?
I can add that as a experiment to check how bad the connection was I hosted a teamspeak-channel and after he copnnected he reported that he could hear me but it was stuttery and bad quality. So its most likely the connection then.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 30 Jun 2004 07:52 AM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/showfaq.php?faqid=21&productid=6

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 30 Jun 2004 09:14 AM (UTC)
Ok, that might support the theory that my line out is messed up. Thanks Nick.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Wed 30 Jun 2004 11:58 AM (UTC)
Is his font color the same as his background color? I'm assuming you've probably checked this, but its always good to know he's not look at black text on a black background. Also, if your using SWR 1.0 FUSS or similar FUSS package and have modified the connection routine, make sure (if you copy and pasted an old one or something) that the reset_color call is still in there or it'll raise hell, trust me. :P

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 01 Jul 2004 11:52 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 01 Jul 2004 11:53 AM (UTC) by Thecrawly

Allright, whatever it was its gone. Things started to work as normal as soon as the company stabilized the connection for me.

Oh, and the "Can't find cygcrypt-0.dll" I managed to solve (perhaps incorrectly) by making a copy of the .dll (found it in Cygwin/bin I think) and dumping it in the windows directory.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Thu 01 Jul 2004 03:42 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 01 Jul 2004 08:32 PM (UTC) by Greven

No, unfortunately thats what you have to do for any missing files, make a copy of them. I have to do that with the crypt, zlib, and dlsym libraries, so I know what a pain it is.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,505 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]