[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Custom Spellchecking?

Custom Spellchecking?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Ixokai   USA  (24 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 26 Jun 2004 06:28 AM (UTC)
Is there a way to only perform spellchecking on certain commands? Basically, I only want to perform spellchecking on certain commands that match a set pattern.

Basically, only if the command starts with 'say' or ':' or ';'. Everything else is OOC and I don't want it spellchecked, unless I specifically invoke it, of course.

Anyway to do this? :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 06:46 AM (UTC)
Hey, wait. I didn't mean to put this into bug reports. Sorry!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 10:37 AM (UTC)
Too late! You will burn on the stake! I don't know about a spellcheck function, but if there is one it will be easy to make an alias to spellcheck... Nick will have to talk about that.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 05:51 PM (UTC)
One annoying problem with spell check is not only that it can't be set to only work in specific cases, but it also spellchecks everything. You may 'want' it to spellcheck say, 'house' when it is in a sentence and you mispell it, but not when it is by itself or as a series of stacked commands. (I actually aliased huose, because for some damn reason I mistype it everytime if I am in a hurry. lol) Same with any other commands, or even channel names. You can tell it to exclude some stuff by adding it to the dictionary, but that isn't always going to work. A better solution would be an option for aliases like "spellcheck wildcards", so you can make an alias for say, the hypothetical 'fkl' channel, which only test the wildcard contents you type after. Which basically helps to solve both issues.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 07:09 PM (UTC)
So, are we talking about a spellcheck function that returns the string after spellcheck?
that way we can do something like this:
fkl (.*)
send fkl Spellcheck(%1)
or whatever?
Youd just be able to call this as a sub, I assume it would require (or at least, be redundant if you didnt) spellcheck to be off globally.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 08:45 PM (UTC)
Hmm. That's an idea. I was thinking more in terms of it being an option, not something you have to explicitely call in script. Though, likely a script accessable one 'and' an option that just turns it on for the alias would be most likely.

Basically, in the case of aliases, you type:

fkl blah

That alias is 'fkf *' and there is an option for "spellcheck wildcard contents before using". But access to spellcheck from in scripting may be nice to have as well.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 10:48 PM (UTC)

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 26 Jun 2004 11:25 PM (UTC)
Umm. No, that wouldn't tell the client where to send it 'after' it checked it. It needs to be a seperate operation.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 27 Jun 2004 03:57 AM (UTC)
For my purposes, Shadowfyr's sugguestion of a 'spellcheck wildcards' option would be almost good enough for most cases. If there was a function somewhere that would spellcheck the given text passed to it then return the corrected text, that would solve any complicated or weird sort of things I come up with.

Basically, there's just too many commands, acrnyms, odd chunks of words, and other such things for me to enjoy adding them all to dictionarys. Especially since some(many) of them are things which may easily be mistyped in normal "RP" text that i'd want caught.. so, they are only "misspelled" given context.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #9 on Sun 27 Jun 2004 10:38 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 27 Jun 2004 10:39 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I tried to make this work with existing scripting, but failed. Basically you can DoCommand "SpellCheck" but by the time the spell check is executed the command window has been emptied.

I think I will have to put in a special function which allows you to spellcheck arbitrary text (eg. the wildcards).

Added as suggestion #516.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Mon 28 Jun 2004 02:28 AM (UTC)
Cool. :) And, again, sorry for posting it in the wrong forum. Meant to click on 'General', off by one!

No pressure of course, but is this something you may find yourself interested in doing in the next revision or two? Or is it a 'pie-in-the-sky' thing :) Just curious. If its something you don't feel like adding for awhile I might think about some other way to accomplish it in the meantime. Maybe a ':' and 'say' alias that send to a script, and I trigger some kind of spellcheck in an external comobject or something, then send back to the world... hmm.

Love the product, by the way. =)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #11 on Mon 28 Jun 2004 04:56 AM (UTC)
I moved it into Suggestions, as that was sort-of what it was. Probably could appear in the next release.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 28 Jun 2004 07:36 AM (UTC)
You could perhaps make an alias that matches on "sp *" and you could do "sp say hello", and the alias would toggle spellchecking on, World.Execute the %1, and toggle it off again. This of course is a bit crude and it would take some practice, but I think it would do what you want.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Mon 28 Jun 2004 07:58 AM (UTC)
I tried that, but it didn't work. The command appears to disappear out of the command window by the time the spellcheck executes, so nothing happens.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Mon 28 Jun 2004 08:11 AM (UTC)
could you have have it cycle twice? first time send to command, turn spell check on, then somehow push it through?
then disable it.
How would one force the enter? I suppose it might require a double return on anything you want spellchecked. But, thats not really a problem considering if anything is spelled incorrectly youve got a dialog.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

42,359 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]