[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Hello

Hello

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Walker   (21 posts)
Date Thu 28 Aug 2003 08:38 AM (UTC)
Hey everyone, I am not really too new at this I have worked with someone before that did this but the problem is that me and him got into a fight and thus havent spoken in a few years and doubt that I will be able to again to gain any help (His name was Drakar i believe on the mud i worked on or whatever and if he is looking its me Solaris).

Anyway since then I have to tried to find this site and such and now with luck I found it, but big prob is I have lost what I have learned. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to say mentor me/help me out with everything the SMAUG has going on... hopefully someone will.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Thu 28 Aug 2003 09:57 AM (UTC)
I possibly would also want to really make my own areas with maybe exceptions to the beginning area (possible editing) and some other areas.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Boborak   USA  (228 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 28 Aug 2003 04:11 PM (UTC)
Hi, I think I speak for alot of people when I say this is probably a bad place to ask of such help. While mentoring is nice, the best way to learn in my personal opinion is trial and error. The problem with asking for a "teacher" is that it requires the teacher to take time out of their schedule to exclusively help a complete stranger, a trait that is rare for most people. If you REALLY want to learn to 'code' a mud, I suggest you look for a good beginners book on coding C and using Unix, sit down and do the trial-and-error bit. If you have issues with something, do a search of these forums. You'll find answers to problems ranging from the simplest beginner issue to some of the most complex things involved with SMAUG. Fortunately most of the people who frequent these forums are more then willing to help you with any problem you have. If you can't find help here you could also find help on the SML archives. But unfortunately asking for a 'mentor' will likely be an un-answered call. Hope I've enlightened you a bit and I didn't sound to harsh.

-Boborak
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Thu 28 Aug 2003 08:54 PM (UTC)
I agree with Boborak - your request is so general it is hard to help.

However there are some useful pages on this site, as well as heaps of forum posts about various things.

For instance, pages on "how to compile", "how to install Cygwin", an FAQ on general SMAUG commands that an admin might use.

The other SMAUG FAQ may also be helpful.

There is an area editor you can download which simplifies writing your own areas.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 28 Aug 2003 11:13 PM (UTC)
Yeah i got and have used the area editor before, the compiler is new to me, so how exactly do i use it, i read up on the installing that i have down.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 29 Aug 2003 12:53 AM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

If so, which part are you having problems with?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 29 Aug 2003 01:48 AM (UTC)
Actually all i was asking is where do i extract the zip file to? smaug1.4a.sce
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Fri 29 Aug 2003 04:01 AM (UTC)
Doesn't matter where you extract it, but you have the wrong zip. I've posted in your other topic what one you should get.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Boborak   USA  (228 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Fri 29 Aug 2003 04:27 AM (UTC)
If you are using Cygwin you need to find your 'root' Cygwin directory (the directory you installed cygwin too), usually c:\cygwin\. From here there will be a \home\ directory. In that directory should be a directory with the name of your cygwin user.

For example: C:\cygwin\home\bobbytheuser\

That is my personal reccomendation as the location in which you should extract the files. From there you will likely have a dist\ directory or a smaug\dist\ directory, which is your mud servers 'root' directory.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

21,548 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]