[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Save window position and trouble copying + pasting

Save window position and trouble copying + pasting

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by forral   USA  (79 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 16 Mar 2010 06:55 AM (UTC)

I have some quick, and rather silly questions

1) Is it possible to save the window positions when I shut down MUSH so I don't have to keep adjusting? I just installed a bunch of plugins on aardwolf and having to readjust the windows is annoying.

2)Is it possible to maximize windows independent of each other?

3) going along with #2, can windows be 'grouped'? By this I mean, lets say I want my aardwolf window open and all the plugins associatied with it to act a certain way, and other windows associated with another mud to act independently (window position, behavior, etc)..is this possible to accomplish?

4) Biggest issue is, for some unknown reason, I'm having trouble copying + pasting inside MUSH. Before, I had version 4.47 and it worked fine. I installed 4.43, and I got the trouble that I can copy text FROM MUSH to another window, but not into mush itself, or into the trigger boxes. When I INITIALLY start up MUSH it works fine, but then it doesn't work, not sure what I'm doing to cause this to happen. I was advised to install v4.51, and its the same problem. I have v4.47 installed on Ubuntu through WINE and it works just fine. Any advice?

Thanks,

Forral
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 16 Mar 2010 08:13 PM (UTC)
1. It *should* remember the window positions when you start again. Make sure you have write access to the directory where MUSHclient.exe is, as it saves window positions there.

Some of the plugins distributed with Aardwolf have been rewritten over the last couple of years to use miniwindows. These should remember their positions (they do it in the plugin's "state" file), and are drawn inside the main window, so you don't have to manage lots of separate windows.

Template:post=9580 Please see the forum thread: http://gammon.com.au/forum/?id=9580.

2. I don't believe Windows lets you maximize one window for a client without them all maximizing. At least the library I used to build MUSHclient doesn't let me do that.

3. Grouping? See the miniwindows I mentioned above.

4. I don't know about the pasting. I often have MUSHclient open for 7 days or more at a time. The pasting never "goes away". I suspect this is some artifact with Wine. Also make sure you have text on the clipboard as that is what it looks for (not rich text, for example). Maybe the program you are copying from doesn't put text there (it sounds silly I know, but what other reason would there be?).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 16 Mar 2010 11:51 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 16 Mar 2010 11:52 PM (UTC) by forral

In response to #4, I might have been a bit unclear (was 3am when I typed that post). In wine it works JUST FINE, and it worked fine up until 4.47 with windows, also. I'm experiencing this problem on WINDOWS, both with version 4.43 and the latest version (4.51).

Also, I will update my aardwolf plugins, glad to see they are using miniwindows now. Thanks.

I should also mention with #4 that the copying problem is only present IN MUSH itself, not any other windows program. I can copy FROM Mush TO a notepad, but not vice versa, nor can I copy text from the output, and make a trigger within MUSH.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 17 Mar 2010 06:17 AM (UTC)
The thing with the clipboard is, it can have various types of things on it. For example, if you copied from Wordpad it might have styled text (RTF) and ordinary text.

So it would help to know the exact program you are copying from.

And then where are you pasting into? The little box inside a trigger edit, or the larger box that appears when you click the "..." button?

forral said:

When I INITIALLY start up MUSH it works fine, but then it doesn't work ...

After what period of time? It works the first time? The first hour?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 18 Mar 2010 06:45 PM (UTC)
I don't know exactly how long it lasts, just a few minutes initially, I haven't actually tested.

And I cannot paste anywhere in mush, whether in the input window, or in the box that says "Trigger:" when trying to actually make a trigger. I can't paste code into the larger box either. And I'm copying text FROM mush, to paste INTO mush itself, not from any outside source.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 18 Mar 2010 08:45 PM (UTC)
OK, first please test if it is the copying that is failing or the pasting. Copy some text and then switch to Notepad or something and check it pastes (or not).

Also try copying with the menu rather than Ctrl+C - maybe Ctrl+C has been remapped somehow. (Some plugins DO remap what Ctrl+C does).

I have a copy of v4.51 running here which has been active for 20+ hours, and copy and paste works fine. You are the only person to report a problem with copying, so I suspect it is something on your PC.

Try it on a new world file, with no plugins, scripts etc., and see what happens.

Did you recently install other stuff that might affect the clipboard, for example:

• Some security gadget that clears the clipboard "in case you had a password on it"

• Some program that takes a picture of the desktop every 30 seconds (this would replace the text there).

Try running a virus scan.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

16,841 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]