[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Question about Rom 2.4 pc_race_table[]

Question about Rom 2.4 pc_race_table[]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Baron Sengir   USA  (29 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 06 Nov 2009 04:33 AM (UTC)

I've stumbled across a bit of a problem that I can't seem to narrow down involving interactions of races and classes. Perhaps someone has come across the same problem and might have suggestions as to either fixing, or working around it?

I've added/changed numerous races (to a total of 9 playable) with stock values, and it worked normally. I then added two new classes and set everything to generic stock values, and it worked as well. A third addition was the inclusion of a 6th attribute for stats, which I named appearance.

In const.c, I have changed all of my races to include the new stat, as well as the new classes.

{
"human", "Human", 0, {100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100},
{""},
{10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10}, {15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15}, SIZE_MEDIUM
},

^^^^ The MUD works normally with this. The problem lies in the next portion. My MUD will be running on a system that uses lower stats than D&D, and starting characters will begin with "1" in each stat (to be increased immediately after creation with additional options), with a maximum defined between "5" and "10" (based upon race. Humans max at "5", vampires max at "10", and others in between).

I changed the race statistic line to this:
{1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1}, {5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5}, SIZE_MEDIUM

Upon compiling, I recieve no errors. If I create as a human mage, it creates as normal. However, if I create as a human cleric, the MUD crashes. After repeated tweaking, I have narrowed it down to apparently the MUD doesn't like the starting stats to be "1". Can anyone give me some info or suggestions? I have looked all over the code, and am unsure what to do next. Thanks in advance.

Baron Sengir
aka Co-Admin/Head Coder of "Dark Ages: Legendary Secrets"
Currently in R&D Phase
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 04:41 AM (UTC)

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 05:18 AM (UTC)
Alright, the newbie strikes yet again. I did not know anything about gdb, however I found references to it here on this site, as well as a link to a discussion on how to use it. After crossing my fingers, I checked and lo and behold, gdb is configured on my online server. I read over Nick's explanation of how to use gdb (and I believe I understood a good half of it), but the problem now seems to be in actually using gdb on my core.* file.

I managed to track down the core.* file in the ../area folder of Rom. To be certain I got the correct one, I removed the numerous ones that were there (through multiple crashes while testing) and then intentionally crashed the MUD again to get a fresh core.* file, labelled as:

core.7183

I have tried using the commands listed but gdb simply loads up and tells me that : No such file or directory.

I have tried a few permutations, to no avail. Perhaps I am misreading the syntax?

gdb (pathname) (core.*)

In my case:
gdb DALSQuickMUD/area core.7183

I even thought that perhaps the obj files path was what is needed, and tried that as well, to no avail.
gdb DALSQuickMUD/src/obj core.7183

I also experimented with a few other pathnames/combinations, but it continuously gives me the same readout. Perhaps because I am on an online server/provider that my pathname needs to be more inclusive? Thanks again for any input.

Baron Sengir
Currently in R&D Phase
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 03:09 PM (UTC)
Not pathname, but the MUD exec. The file that runs the MUD.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 04:48 PM (UTC)
Thanks for clearing that up. I tried running gdb again using the startup file, which is this:

gdb ../area/startup core.7183

The error message it is giving me now is-
"...(serverhost)/DALSQuickMUD/area/startup": not in executable format: File format not recognized

'startup' is my executable, so it should work, right? Thanks again for input.

Baron Sengir
Currently in R&D Phase
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 07:37 PM (UTC)
No, that is a script file. You want the rom file (the output from the compiler). It should be in the src directory.

In any case, you should be able to start like this:

cd ../area
gdb ../src/rom

That changes you to the area directory (where you need to be to run the MUD), and then runs gdb with the executable as the argument.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 10:26 PM (UTC)
Doh! Alright, well that explains a lot about why I couldn't get gdb to recognize the format. Filing this information away for future use, slowly I'm learning what exactly each is used for. I changed back to the area file and managed to run gdb as you stated. This is what I received:

GNU gdb 6.8
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...

warning: exec file is newer than core file.

warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_dns.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_dns.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libresolv.so.2
Core was generated by `rom 3000 copyover 5 -1'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
[New process 7183]
#0 obj_to_room (obj=0xb7dfa7a4, pRoomIndex=0x0) at handler.c:1956
1956 obj->next_content = pRoomIndex->contents;

So if I'm reading this right, in "handler.c" down at line 1956 is where it is hanging up and crashing? Here is a list of my current code around this line (brought up by using 'list' in gdb):

1951 /*
1952 * Move an obj into a room.
1953 */
1954 void obj_to_room (OBJ_DATA * obj, ROOM_INDEX_DATA * pRoomIndex)
1955 {
1956 obj->next_content = pRoomIndex->contents;
1957 pRoomIndex->contents = obj;
1958 obj->in_room = pRoomIndex;
1959 obj->carried_by = NULL;
1960 obj->in_obj = NULL;

Doesn't this function take an object that is loaded into the virtual memory (forgive me if I'm mixing terms and wrong context) and sets it as 'in the room', removing it as being 'in the inventory' from a player ?

That would infer a problem with the items, wouldn't it? But if that was the case, why would it work when I have different statistics set?

Baron Sengir
Currently in R&D Phase
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 06 Nov 2009 11:20 PM (UTC)
warning: exec file is newer than core file.

Fix this first. You need to make sure you don't gdb a core created from an older compile.

Compile, crash it and use that core. Don't compile after the crash or the backtrace may not match up.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Sat 07 Nov 2009 01:24 AM (UTC)
Or compile, and then run it the way I suggested, so it crashes when running gdb. Make sure you have the -g3 (from memory) option on the compile as mentioned on my gdb page so you get the symbols.

Once you get the crash, make sure you type "bt" (backtrace) so you can see the calling sequence.

If this is indeed the offending line:

obj->next_content = pRoomIndex->contents;

In gdb, type "p obj" and "p pRoomIndex". If either of them is NULL (zero) then that is a clue.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Wjmurdick   (13 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sat 07 Nov 2009 09:02 PM (UTC)
Gah, get rid of the static arrays. That would be my suggestion. Yea, I know, not helpful.
[Go to top] top

Posted by ThomasWatts   USA  (66 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Sun 08 Nov 2009 10:02 AM (UTC)

What does gdb say?

IT'S OVER 9000!

I haven't posted anything worthless in awhile.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Mon 09 Nov 2009 11:39 PM (UTC)
I think I am getting the hang of navigating and getting information from gdb. Many thanks again Nick for your post on gdb, it has been massively instrumental in my learning. Now, however, I have another newbie-ish question. I am not as up to speed on how variables look from within the memory itself as I once was about 10 years ago. To clarify that:

p pRoomIndex gives me:
$2 = (ROOM_INDEX_DATA *) 0x0

Is the 0x0 the same as 0 or NULL ? If so, I think I have an idea of why it might be doing what I think it is doing. I'm researching it more while I post this, and hopefully will get more insight (or even better, have it resolved). Thanks again for the help and tips!

Baron Sengir
Currently in R&D Phase
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Tue 10 Nov 2009 12:05 AM (UTC)
Yes, 0x0 is their way of representing hex. For example, 0x16 is hex 16 not decimal 16 (so that would be 22 in decimal).

Of course, hex 0x0 is the same as zero.

And on this processor at least, a pointer of zero is a NULL pointer.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Tue 10 Nov 2009 05:12 AM (UTC)
Many thanks to all who helped me track this down (and contributed to helping me learn how to use gdb and a better way of debugging). I will still need to toy with it a bit more, but I at least understand a lot of the fundamentals. In any case, I seem to have tracked down the problem and have fixed it.

Simple enough, really. I'll keep this short so I don't bore everyone too badly, but posting in case someone else comes across this problem and could track it down easier.

By changing the starting values of the attributes to "1", I massively lowered the capabilities of starting characters to carry and wield anything of weight (I forgot about the modifiers for carry and wield that are in tables as the applies). When the new character created, it tried to equip a weapon that weighed more than it could handle, and so the mud attempted to make the player 'drop' the item into the room. Since this was a new character, the ch->in_room was still NULL. Therefore, it cannot move an obj from the character to a NULL room. I edited the tables to reflect the lower stats being able to carry and wield weight.

Thanks once again, you guys rock!

Baron Sengir
Currently in R&D Phase
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Tue 10 Nov 2009 07:13 PM (UTC)
Well done for spotting the problem! Now you have the techniques for finding other things, when they go wrong. Gdb is very useful for that.

As for the bug, that was subtle, wasn't it? Hopefully you also put in a check in the drop function to make sure a room exists before you try to drop something into it.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

44,584 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]