[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Internet Servers form Smaug

Internet Servers form Smaug

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Magnefikko   Poland  (38 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 28 Oct 2005 07:50 PM (UTC)
Hi! Do internet server exist possible place on what Windows Smaug ?

It walks about it me that SMaug was started up 24 hours on day without he start-up of on computer...

I thought over a Uni.cc (www.uni.cc)but there it is possible to place only Linux Mud's...

Five'o clock-wisky and tea :-)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 28 Oct 2005 07:57 PM (UTC)
Are you looking for a Windows host for a MUD? Very unlikely to find one.

Are you asking if it's possible to run a MUD using Windows? It's possible.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 29 Oct 2005 06:43 AM (UTC)
Hmm...That it acted necessary on Windows Smaug continuously:

A) To have including computer continuously (Very Bad Idea...)
B)Start on Windows some server (I'M Can't do this...)

Help:-)

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 29 Oct 2005 09:28 AM (UTC)
Why is it a bad idea to have the computer on continually? For one thing, to run a MUD you will have to (unless it is only open for part of the day). For another thing there is a school of thought that it is better to leave a PC turned on, than to keep starting it up and shutting it down.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sat 29 Oct 2005 03:39 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 29 Oct 2005 06:24 PM (UTC) by Zeno

Yeah, it's not a bad thing to leave a computer on. I have mine on 24/7, and I have never had any computer of mine have a HD failure or anything that would "break" it. There's something called chip creep when you turn it off as well, which is bad.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Samson   USA  (683 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Sat 29 Oct 2005 06:12 PM (UTC)
Leaving the PC on 24/7 is all well and good if your energy costs aren't sky high like mine :)

So whether it's a good idea or not isn't relevent when you have to shut down as much as possible to keep the electric bill down. You'd be surprised how much one PC will chew on during normal use. Of course I'd say most of that cost will be generated by the monitor if you're using a CRT, and any sound equipment you might have running.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Sat 29 Oct 2005 10:58 PM (UTC)
However I can't conceive of how you can run a MUD 24 hours a day without the relevant server being left on all day, unless magic is involved. :)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 29 Oct 2005 11:00 PM (UTC)
Of course. I was not referring to my MUD servers in that instance. I was referring to my 3rd box that doesn't do all that - it's only used for me to play on. So leaving it running 24/7 is silly when you consider what electricity costs in California.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ephyu   (7 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Wed 16 Nov 2005 02:59 AM (UTC)
Well, some people, like me, have non-static IP addresses, and my players (mostly friends) just contact me via IM to find out what IP the server's on when they want to play.

Oh, and fun fact: Turning a computer off, when it has high-end parts such as newer model processors or video cards, will actually cause _more_ damage to it. This is because unless you have a after-shutdown control for your cooling system (something I'm buying soon myself) your cooling system shuts down. This means your processor fans and video card fans stop spinning, though there's still heat in the processors themselves and in the heat sinks, which won't be evacuated.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 18 Nov 2005 11:53 AM (UTC)
If the heatsink on your fan is large enough then the post-shutdown problem doesn't come in to play. With no new heat being generated behind it a good copper heatsink will draw it out pretty quickly. That's what heatsinks do :)

In my experience it hasn't made a whole lot of difference whether or not the PC is left on vs being turned off. The average lifespan of the components is generally alot longer than the typical upgrade cycle most high end users keep to, myself included.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sat 17 Dec 2005 03:28 PM (UTC)
Hmmm... Leave capabilities included computer 24/7 not.
For example, something walks about such me :
-silverden.com (tendrils.silverden.com)
-doom.betterbox.net
-fj.wolfpaw.net
etc.
So many that I search similar servers but free ... :-)

[Go to top] top

Posted by Dralnu   USA  (277 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Mon 19 Dec 2005 07:02 AM (UTC)
2. As for fans stop running when comp goes off, run a wire from the fans (hehe, for you tech geeks out there) to a battery/transformer to adjust the power so it just stays on all the time
3. Don't want to leave a comp on all the time? Set up several in paralell (sp?) and have one kick another on after ___ hours, then slowly switch hosting duties to it, then shut previous comp off via shut down command. Good luck programming :)

For running a server all the time, if you run 'doze, you might see problems with fragmentation if it stays on for a long time i.e. Blue screen of Death. Running it on Linux, however, you'll only need to take it down every so often to do preventave maintnace and upgrade things, and that isn't required, just greatly encouraged

BTW, on the cooling problem, you could try a liquid cooling system, and have the pump wired outside the box, and have a thermostat inside check the temp at diffrent points to tell it to turn on or off, or add fans to the box itself and keep them running 24/7 to keep air circulating. Might not do as well for the chips themselves, but better then leaving them to sit and roast
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 19 Dec 2005 01:55 PM (UTC)
1. Chip creep = Bad Thing(tm). Basically caused by the chips such as your BIOS or anythying else not hard soldered on to the board eventually working itself loose due to natural heating/cooling. This can happen even if you leave the PC on 24/7. It is generally why some tech sites will tell you to gently press down on such chips while you have the PC open just in case.

2. There is no need to get silly about keeping the fan on 24/7. If the loss of power is such a bother, buy a fan setup that runs for 60 seconds after the PC shuts down. No more having to be paranoid. But as I said, a good copper heatsink will do just fine on its own once the power is off. No more new heat and all. Basic physics.

3. Suffice it to say, I'm not turning the servers off. There appears to still be confusion about that. The only PCs that get shut off are the Windows boxes. There is no real reason for those to run 24/7 when they don't get *USED* 24/7.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Wed 21 Dec 2005 03:45 AM (UTC)

So many that I search similar servers but free ... :-)

I think you will have problems. Why would someone donate use of a PC, network bandwidth, support and so on for free? You may as well ask for a free motor vehicle.

If you have a friend with spare capacity you may organise it, however I doubt that a search on the Internet will find lots of reliable places offering free servers.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Dralnu   USA  (277 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Sun 25 Dec 2005 09:56 AM (UTC)
My previous post was half-sarcastic, but also half serious. As for free servers, Nick has a point. You would be better off finding someone who requires a monthly fee to run. Silverden is decent, though last I played a MUD off them they were having drive and net issues I think, but that was awhile ago so I'm pretty sure they are going on fine. I havn't dealt with a server before, but I know a little from player experince on how consistent the server was running, but I think they also had a problem with a bit of lag, but again, awhile ago. Good luck to you.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

45,601 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]