[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  Help with Cygwin

Help with Cygwin

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Brulen   (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 18 Aug 2004 02:29 AM (UTC)
I was following Nick's walkthrough on how to compile.
Having no experience in compiling at all I did find it very helpful. But and there is always a but.

when I got to the part where he explains how to grep files and to edit using vi I ran into problems. LOL
when I enter

vi act_obj.c

I get

bash: vi: command not found

does this mean I need to reinstall Cygwin with the vi editor
or can I use another editor and how do I find out which I have.. LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 18 Aug 2004 03:31 AM (UTC)
Yeah, you do. You need to install all of Cygwin's packages, pretty much.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 18 Aug 2004 06:49 PM (UTC)
Actually, instead of downloading more stuff for cygwin and reinstalling, visit www.liquidninja.com and download metapad. It's a freeware textpad replacement that won't muck up your file formatting. Alternately, there's www.textpad.com with a much more powerful text editor that wont muck up your formatting and can handle more intricate functions.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 18 Aug 2004 10:02 PM (UTC)
vi can be a pain to use if you aren't used to it. If you want to use it, I wrote a fairly lengthy post about doing it recently. And yes, when it says "vi: command not found" that is exactly the problem, you didn't install it.

I have been using SciTE recently for development and been very happy with it.

http://www.scintilla.org

It is free, fast, does syntax colouring, and is very reliable. And it works in a natural way (ie. like a Windows program) which is more than you can say for vi.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 20 Aug 2004 05:25 AM (UTC)
Thanks everyone. I will check out the other editors..
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 21 Aug 2004 07:16 AM (UTC)
I downloaded scintilla ad I think I have it installed correctly but I am not sure.. but I am still facing the same problem.. I have no idea how to open or edit any of the files..

I am still not giving up.. Neva Die!!!

Anyway if anyone can help me figure out how to use a editor in cygwin to modify codes and such I would be forever in their debt..

[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 21 Aug 2004 06:29 PM (UTC)
Metapad and TextPad both open like the standard windows notepad. Scintilla I would imagine is much the same as well and opening files should be as simple as double clicking the file you want.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Sun 22 Aug 2004 12:41 AM (UTC)
Scintilla is a editing control, SciTE is a program which is an actual editor. Follow the link on the other page, to here:

http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html

Then download it. Personally I find it very good.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 22 Aug 2004 07:32 AM (UTC)
I got it all working now and your right Nick if feels more familiar..

Thaks again..

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

23,879 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]