[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Forum
. -> [Folder]  Problems
. . -> [Subject]  Edits to a post are missing, though the "Amended on <date>" is visible.

Edits to a post are missing, though the "Amended on <date>" is visible.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Daniel P   USA  (97 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 26 Mar 2018 03:43 PM (UTC)
I recently edited a post I made last week, and noticed that even with a hard refresh from the browser, all I see is that

1. The post was edited with the "Ammended on Mon 26 Mar, 2018" but ...
  2. The changes I made (i.e. added a comment with an [edit] tag to http://mushclient.com/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=14209) are not actually visible.

Editing the post again shows that my changes have been correctly captured, though. Is this an issue with the software, or is there some new approval process to post edits?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 26 Mar 2018 04:50 PM (UTC)
Weird. I opened your post to edit, and indeed I saw your edit content secretly hiding in there. But then when I saved it, everything now shows up.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 26 Mar 2018 04:57 PM (UTC)
Odd. Sounds like a permissions issue might have gotten changed somewhere in the forum software.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 26 Mar 2018 09:11 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 26 Mar 2018 09:12 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

There was a change to the forum recently. Posts are now "cached" in a HTML version to save reworking all the forum codes every time they are viewed.

If the cached version was not updated then you would see the old version even if you edit it and see the new version. The cached text is not visible to you (except indirectly, when you view the post).

It looks like the caching failed to update in your case. Let me know if it happens again.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Mon 26 Mar 2018 09:15 PM (UTC)
There might be a race condition there. The cache is updated the first time the post is viewed (it was easier to do it that way) which might have somehow got the cached HTML replaced by the older version.

I had better do the job properly and update the cache at the exact time that the edit is aved.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 26 Mar 2018 11:04 PM (UTC)
I've reworked the caching so that it is done at post amend time, not display time. This *should* fix the problem.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 27 Mar 2018 07:25 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 27 Mar 2018 07:26 PM (UTC) by Daniel P

[EDIT] by adding this after the fact.
[EDIT] Yep. Seems to be fixed. Thanks, guys!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,469 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]