[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Sysdata.dat

Sysdata.dat

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by MegaMoth   (4 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 18 Apr 2002 01:59 AM (UTC)
After careful deliberation amongst my co-owners and working with each item, we have decided to use Smaug.
Now the first step is setting the system date(sysdata.dat) so I ask,would anyone be so kind as to tell me what each field does, and what each number reprisents?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 18 Apr 2002 05:11 AM (UTC)
I don't know of any resource that spells them all out. I can tell you a couple ...

Waitforauth - if 1, new players are placed in the introduction area (newgate.are). They then need to have immortal approval before they can leave that area (for the name they have chosen). Otherwise they start in New Darkhaven.

Nameresolving - if 1, name resolving of players is disabled (ie. it remembers an IP address, not a name)

IdentTries - number of times it tries to connect to an "ident" server to look up a connection. Set to zero to disable.

MudName - name of your MUD (put a ~ at the end).
eg. MudName Nick Gammon's MUD~

As for the rest, you would have to work them out from the source. Most of them will be levels at which you can do something. I will work through one as an example. I am using Cygwin shell here to search for things, but any editor with a "find in files" capability would do the same thing. What I type is in bold.

Let's look at this line:

Writemailfree 51

Straight away I would guess that you need to be level 51 to write mail "for free" - whatever that means, just from the name. However, let's explore in more detail ...

Let's search for that exact word in the source ...

$ grep Writemailfree *.c
db.c: fprintf( fp, "Writemailfree %d\n", sys.write_mail_free );
db.c: KEY( "Writemailfree", sys->write_mail_free, fread_number( fp ) );

OK, that tells us that the word "Writemailfree" in the sysdata.dat file is put into the variable "sys.write_mail_free".

Now let's search for what that does ...

$ grep write_mail_free *.c
... some lines appear here ...
boards.c: if (get_trust(ch) < sysdata.write_mail_free )
... some lines appear here ...

Amongst the various lines that appear, the above one looks relevant because it is testing the value of write_mail_free.

So, let's edit boards.c and see what the test is all about ...

if (get_trust (ch) < sysdata.write_mail_free)
{
    quill = find_quill( ch );
        if (!quill)
    {
    send_to_char("You need a quill to write a note.\n\r", ch);
    return;
    }
    if ( quill->value[0] < 1 )
    {
    send_to_char("Your quill is dry.\n\r", ch);
    return;
    }
}

Right, there is the answer. You need to be level 51 to write mail "for free", and if you are below level 51, then you need a quill to write mail (notes).

If anyone knows straight away what the others do, that would be great to hear from them. Otherwise, if you work out what they do, please post your results here, so others can benefit from your knowledge.

Also, read doc/SMAUGDOC file that came with SMAUG, that has a lot of helpful information in it.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Norman   USA  (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 30 Apr 2002 10:48 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 30 Apr 2002 10:49 PM (UTC) by Norman

You could also do some of it within the Mud if you want to setit.

Just type help cset or just cset by itself and it spells out SOME of the stuff, not all of it. :)

D

eg:
CSET
Cset is used to set the system's 'control panel' settings.
Syntax: cset <field> <level>
Fields: save - saves the control panel settings
dodge_mod - divide dodge chance (% learned) by this (default 2)
(more is avaliable in the help)

NOTE: I have modified my Control Settings so some things on the screen may be different:

(32700/32700) (15/75) (15000): cset

Mud_name: Our Test Mud Site
Mail:
Read all mail: 58 Read mail for free: 51 Write mail for free: 51
Take all mail: 58 IMC mail board vnum: 0
Channels:
Muse: 56 Think: 60 Log: 53 Build: 53
Building:
Prototype modification: 56 Player msetting: 56
Guilds:
Overseer: Advisor:
Ban Data:
Ban Site Level: 61 Ban Class Level: 61 Ban Race Level: 61
Defenses:
Dodge_mod: 2 Parry_mod: 2 Tumble_mod: 4
Other:
Force on players: 56 Private room override: 61
Penalty to bash plr vs. plr: 40 Penalty to non-tank bash: 80
Penalty to gouge plr vs. plr: 40 Penalty to non-tank gouge: 80
Penalty regular stun chance: 15 Penalty to stun plr vs. plr: 80
Percent damage plr vs. plr: 100 Percent damage plr vs. mob: 100
Percent damage mob vs. plr: 100 Percent damage mob vs. mob: 100
Get object without take flag: 59 Autosave frequency (minutes): 20
Max level difference bestow: 10 Checking Imm_host is: ON
Morph Optimization is: ON Saving Pets is: ON
Pkill looting is: ON Persistent Wiz Lock: off
Save flags: death passwd give zap auction receive
Idents retries: 20
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

10,246 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]