[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  Trying to compile with Cygwin on WIN 10

Trying to compile with Cygwin on WIN 10

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Brandon   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 03 Jan 2022 01:49 AM (UTC)
I've worked my way through several issues so far (learning a bit about cygwin and installing make, c++, etc). I can get to the end (I think it's almost the end- I'm no programmer). It compiles everything fine but after finishing with weather I get an error that -lasan cannot be found. My research says it's some kind of address sanitizer for linking or something like that (see I'm not a programmer). My research also says there's none for windows. But I've seen on these forums that people have compiled this with cygwin on windows 10. Any suggestion or help? I wish I could just download an already compiled smaugFUSS. Years ago when I was on XP, I was trying to compile smaug 1.4a and never could. But I managed to get hold of smaug.exe somehow and was able to run my own mud. Trying to do so again and this is the wall I hit. Thanks for any help!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,518 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 02:23 AM (UTC)
What if you remove -fsanitize=address from the W_FLAGS line in src/Makefile?

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 03:12 AM (UTC)
Hi- thanks for the prompt suggestion! I gave it a go and same error. So I did make clean and tried make again. Same error at the same spot. I really thought your suggestion was the fix! Here's the WFLAGS I have.

W_FLAGS = -Wall -Wshadow -Wformat-security -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wredundant-decls

That's with your suggestion removed and another section removed. Here's the original
W_FLAGS = -std=c++1z -Wall -Wshadow -Wformat-security -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wredundant-decls -fsanitize=address

The first part was removed as was suggested from a forum post I read.

Would there be any other references to the fsanitize in another file needing changed?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 04:04 AM (UTC)
Would there be any other references to the fsanitize in another file needing changed?

You tell me. Where did you get your smaug source from?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 04:11 AM (UTC)
Since you're using Windows 10, any chance you could use Windows Subsystem for Linux instead of Cygwin?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,001 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 07:13 AM (UTC)
I get an error that -lasan cannot be found.

I’m surprised you get this message, after making the suggested change. Why would the linker want to use the library libasan if there is no call for it?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,001 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 08:17 AM (UTC)
Perhaps if you copy and paste the exact error message, including the surrounding lines, rather than just paraphrasing what it is.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 11:08 AM (UTC)
Hi, thanks for both of your quick responses! I am also surprised it's calling for lasan. I downloaded the source from smaugfuss github.

Here is my exact error

Compiling o/weather.o....
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/11/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lasan
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:57: smaug] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:46: all] Error 2

I can certainly try the subsystem linux. But I feel I've gotten so close here! lol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 11:50 AM (UTC)

So I have finally compiled it (still had some errors). There was a fsanitize reference in L_FLAGS of the Makefile. I removed it and it compiled (I think that was the only issue). It did give the same lasan error at the end but it did say it completed compiling the mud and I have smaug.exe in src. Now when I run smaug.exe I got a bunch of dll files missing. So I was able to copy each of those into the src folder. Now it runs and disappears. Where do I type the nohup starup thing? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I do appreciate all of you guys' help!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 04:44 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 03 Jan 2022 09:35 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

If you got the same error again then it seems like maybe you didn't remove all of the invocations? I see yet another one in D_FLAGS.

Quote:
Where do I type the nohup starup thing?

Are you launching from the command prompt?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Mon 03 Jan 2022 10:44 PM (UTC)
It runs and disappears? You mean, you double-click the .exe?

Make a command prompt (you get one with Cygwin), navigate to the folder and run it from there.

In fact you usually navigate to the area folder and run it from the source folder, ie.

cd <somewhere on your disk>/smaug/area
../src/smaug

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Tue 04 Jan 2022 12:17 PM (UTC)
Thanks again for everyone’s help! I finally figured it out. I needed to run in Cygwin from area folder using the ../smaug command. Worked perfectly! Thank you so much for your help!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,625 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]