[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Unable to Receive External Connections

Unable to Receive External Connections

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Ryanicus   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 13 Sep 2007 12:49 PM (UTC)

Here's the problem. I'm running XP SP2 on my PC and I've got my mud in a cygwin environment. The time has come to get some people helping to build/test but no one outside my router can connect. I'm behind a Linksys WRT54GC ver. 2.0 with port forwarding on port 5003, TCP enabled. I have also made the necessary exception/open port in the windows firewall. I can connect to my server by localhost and/or 127.0.0.1 and I am also able to connect using my external IP and/or host name as listed by ipconfig. When I run Microsoft's port query 2.0 I get the following:

Querying target system called:
Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...
IP address resolved to localhost
querying...
TCP port 5003 (unknown service): LISTENING

Querying target system called:
x.x.x.x [my external ip]
Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...
IP address resolved to [my host]
querying...
TCP port 5003 (unknown service): LISTENING

However, when I do a port scan at http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scanner/ I get this:
Scanning ports on x.x.x.x (host)
x.x.x.x isn't responding on port 23 (telnet).
x.x.x.x isn't responding on port 5003 ().
The external IP responds to pings normally but the port doesn't accept connections. I've tried varying the port number with no change. I do not believe the problem is with the XP firewall because I've tried disabling it completely and nothing changes. I also do not believe this is a problem with port forwarding because when I disable it I am no longer able to connect through my external IP or host. I've also tried TCP, UDP and both. Most recently, I removed the router and took the wire directly from the wall to my PC/server. This also changes nothing. I'm a novice when it comes to networking but I've put a lot of time in and I really want to solve this. Cheers.

-ryan

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 13 Sep 2007 02:23 PM (UTC)
Are you sure that your external IP is actually an external IP? You might be behind another router at the ISP level, so that your IP is in fact only good for other people behind that router, and not the whole world.

If you have another computer, one test would be to put it behind the same router as the one with the server, and try the 'external IP' and see if it works.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ryanicus   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 13 Sep 2007 04:15 PM (UTC)

Thanks for the reply. I tried connecting from the comp in my buddy's room down the hall and it worked. This lends evidence to the ISP NAT router theory. Is there a work-around or am I fubared? I'd prefer not to pay for hosting, I'm just beginning development. Cheers.

-Ryan
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Thu 13 Sep 2007 08:33 PM (UTC)

Also, check out dslreports.com, see if any of the tests there can help.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Isthiriel   (113 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sun 16 Sep 2007 02:47 PM (UTC)
When you did the port forwarding on the router, did you also open the port in the router's firewall?

I'm not talking about the XP firewall, I'm talking about the firewall rules built into the router.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,425 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]