[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Tiny MUD Server - version 2

Tiny MUD Server - version 2

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2  3 4  5  6  7  8  

Posted by Enderandrew   USA  (37 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #30 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 09:36 AM (UTC)
What did you think of the various combat systems I described?

Honestly, I think my favorite would be a system that allowed for the Aggressive, Defensive, etc. manuevers.

I'll go check out the site.

"Nihilism makes me smile."
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #31 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 09:58 AM (UTC)
I admit that I didn't read over all of them in full detail yet. I agree that the 'standard' combat system is boring and uninteresting. I'm uneasy about reflex-based combat, though, due to the nature of text-based games. I think you should have to think fast, and adapt your strategy to what your opponent is doing, but that should be through skills and the like, not tapping at the right time on the right button.

For example, I rather like approaches like Dark Age of Camelot's where combat keeps on going without you clicking anything, but you can use special abilities depending on what's going on.

I think this is somewhat similar to aggressive/defensive/etc. stances. But I would have not only choosing a stance, but also choosing which skills to reflect your stance with. The two could conceivably be independent, that is, you could use typically defensive skills while using an aggressive stance. Or the two could be tied together. Either way, I like the idea of having combat stances. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #32 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 10:56 AM (UTC)
I read over the webpage, and I'm impressed!

The quick version of my combat idea would be one of the following:

Create a Rock/Paper/Scissors type combat system. A trumps B which trumps C which trumps A...

Or you could do something like...

Aggressive (+X power / -X defense)
Precise (+X to-hit / -X speed)
Defensive (+X defense / -X power)
Quick (+X speed / -X to-hit)

I have lots of questions for your project. Should I post them in this thread? I can't post on the forum there because I don't have an account. I don't know if I need to create an account in the mud to do so, but I can't at the moment because of the firewall here at work.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #33 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 11:27 AM (UTC)
Rock-paper-scissors is hard to model in what we have planned. Loosely speaking we're planning on having a classless system, so it's hard to pre-define what combinations of skills will be available. In fact, there are C(n,m) combinations, where n is the number of skills and m is the number of skills one can learn. ( C(n,m) = (n!)/(m! * (n-m)!), IIRC )

Those stances are the kind of thing we would have. They're pretty good and add interesting styles of play, especially since we plan on having speed + other attributes matter quite heavily.

For questions, as you noted our forum is currently private. It uses Nick's software, so I'll have to talk to him about what kind of access control we have. I'd like to have a public section, for reasons exactly like this one. :)

It'd probably be better to not post them on this thread. Perhaps make a new thread under MUDs | General, or give us a moment to work out the access rights and we'll set up a public section for the BabbleMUD forum.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #34 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 11:42 AM (UTC)
The Rock/Paper/Scissors thing I had in mind had nothing to do with classes.

Let's say there are three type of stances.

Type A can be Crane Style.
Type B can be Mu Shu Style
Type C can be Kentucky Fried Style.

A gives a bonus against B which gives a bonus against C, etc.

But honestly, I prefer the Aggressive, Quick, etc. method. My only concern with that is that players might always use the same attack (Aggressive, whatever). The idea is to vary combat.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #35 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 12:59 PM (UTC)
Oh, I see. But it seems that in that case, combat would be perpetually switching your style to match the weakness of the opponent's style. I imagine that such a thing could be done with triggers, which would turn it into a bot-fight of sorts.

I think that stance should depend on the situation. In some cases, you might want to hit hard, and not worry too much about your own health -- e.g. if you have a healer with you. But in others (e.g. without a healer) you might want to stay alive longer, chipping away at your opponent. And it also depends on your opponent: a wizard will womp you will spells but if you win the fight quickly enough, you'll end it before the powerful spells have a chance to launch.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #36 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 01:28 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 21 Feb 2006 01:29 PM (UTC) by Enderandrew

Each round when you take your action, the mob is also choosing A/B/C. So each round you really are playing a guessing game of rock-paper-scissors as it were. 1 in 3 chance for bonus, no bonus, or penalty.

I'm putting together a bunch of questions and suggestions that I'll throw at you later when you decide where you want them.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #37 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 01:48 PM (UTC)
Oh... ok. :) Again I misunderstood. That certainly sounds novel. How would skills and the like fit in?

Thanks for putting together the questions. I'm waiting to hear from Nick about the forum, and I'll let you know as soon as we figure something out.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #38 on Tue 21 Feb 2006 05:13 PM (UTC)
A public section of the Babble forum would be quite nifty. :)

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #39 on Thu 23 Feb 2006 01:45 AM (UTC)

Would it be okay for me to start a thread here, or do you think you might get a public forum soon?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #40 on Thu 23 Feb 2006 02:03 AM (UTC)
I haven't heard from Nick yet (since he's not posting here I assume he's away or busy). Go ahead and start a thread here; we'll move it to a Babble forum if/when it gets set up.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Dubthach   (47 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #41 on Thu 23 Feb 2006 04:37 PM (UTC)
The Roshambo combat setup that Ender is describing was used in Horizons...didn't really care for it. The stances that Ksilyan is describing are a lot like warrior stances in WoW. I much prefer the WoW system.

WoW further specializes by having certain skills only available in certain stances. So, you do have to change every once in awhile, even if your primary role is in one stance.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #42 on Thu 23 Feb 2006 08:08 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 25 Feb 2006 11:57 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

"WoW further specializes by having certain skills only available in certain stances. So, you do have to change every once in awhile, even if your primary role is in one stance."

I think that sounds like a really awesome idea!

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #43 on Sat 25 Feb 2006 11:58 PM (UTC)

A public section of the Babble forum would be quite nifty

What about the Wiki?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #44 on Sun 26 Feb 2006 01:34 AM (UTC)

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

309,204 views.

This is page 3, subject is 8 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2  3 4  5  6  7  8  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]