[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Core Dump

Core Dump

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Jaquio   USA  (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 20 Sep 2008 07:38 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 20 Sep 2008 07:41 PM (UTC) by Jaquio

Hello, I am new to MUDs and everything including coding and Linux. I am wanting to make a Unique DBZ mud I am going to remove all the area files, and recreate them all myself and maybe a few friends. But anyways! Whenever I startup the(nohup ./startup &) btw I am using Ubuntu 8.04 it works UNTIL I use saveall and it creates an alliance file then I either restart the mud or hotboot it does a segmentation fault when loading alliance data. Here is the core dump file http://98.28.59.254/1006.txt if you could help that would be good.

Oh yeah, I am using the DBSaga 2.5.2 codebase since I couldn't find any other ones anywhere.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 20 Sep 2008 08:35 PM (UTC)

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 20 Sep 2008 09:17 PM (UTC)
I have cleared it and then it works yes, but whenever I do a saveall it just writes "EndIt" to the alliance file and doesn't restart again. I have to clear it each and everytime I hotboot/restart the server, which is a pain in the rump.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Mon 22 Sep 2008 11:56 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 23 Sep 2008 09:39 AM (UTC)
It is hard to solve a problem when you just say you get a segmentation fault under certain specific circumstances.

See: http://mushclient.com/gdb

If you run the server under gdb, and then when it crashes do a backtrace (bt) then you at least see the general part of the code that is responsible.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 23 Sep 2008 10:54 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:18 PM (UTC) by Jaquio

GNU gdb 6.8-debian
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...

warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
Reading symbols from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libz.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libz.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Core was generated by `./../src/dbsaga'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
[New process 9203]
#0 0x080fafec in load_alliance () at clans.c:533
533 LINK( alliance, first_alliance, last_alliance, next, prev );

When I typed list, I got this

528 continue;
529 }
530 else
531 if( !str_cmp( word, "EndIt" ) )
532 {
533 LINK( alliance, first_alliance, last_alliance, next, prev );
534 fclose( fp );
535 return TRUE;
536 }
537 else

and bt returns this

#0 0x080fafec in load_alliance () at clans.c:533
#1 0x080ff492 in load_clans () at clans.c:1487
#2 0x08122753 in boot_db (fCopyOver=0 '\0') at db.c:977
#3 0x0810e1df in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfcdf594) at comm.c:366
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:10 PM (UTC)
It seems to be linking the newly read data into the alliance list - is that properly initialized? I don't have the code to hand, but perhaps first_alliance and last_alliance need to be set to NULL in the initialization code?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:26 PM (UTC)
See that is the thing, don't understand much of this nor coding. I am new and trying to learn but wanted to get a codebase up an running first. The code can be found here http://98.28.59.254/DBZANB.tar.gz it is really just the stock DBSaga codebase but hoping to make a lot of modifications to it in the future. If you could help that would be great, if not perhaps you could explain what you just said?

lol, I may sound like a newbie coder and I will admit that I am but I am just trying to learn.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 24 Sep 2008 07:32 AM (UTC)
Well here's the problem. I absolutely applaud your desire to learn more about coding, MUDs in general will be improved by new coders coming in and learning the ropes as old ones retire, or lose interest.

However the problem with tackling modifying server code, when you are not experienced in C or C++ is going to be a long, frustrating road, if you don't understand the basics of C programming.

You will find some time spent on simpler C programs, getting to grips with the basics of memory allocation, pointers, setting up linked lists, string manipulation, and stuff like that, well rewarded as it will give you the basis to understand a MUD server.

I suggest finding some books (or web sites) which give some C tutorials, and get some general practice. This will also help you understand compiler error messages, and runtime error messages, so you will know the difference between normal and abnormal.

If you just want to get a MUD server up and running, and add some tweaks later, then perhaps a codebase that doesn't have fundamental problems would help. The SmaugFUSS (Fixed Up Smaug Source) is a good place to start. It runs pretty reliably "out of the box", so you shouldn't have these initial frustrations.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

23,282 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]