[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Configuration window size

Configuration window size

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Chyort   USA  (58 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 03 May 2008 05:46 PM (UTC)
Is there some way to change the Configuration window size that im just too blind to see?

I ask because when ever i edit my triggers, im stuck trying to decide what i want to look at. the trigger window is embedded in an already too small configuration window, and i just cant see all the details that i would like at once. i know i can resize the trigger/send/whatnot bars, so everything fits into the small window... but then i lose a lot of detail. i also know the trigger window it self has a slide bar, but its agrivating having to slide that thing every 2 seconds...

with my 24 inch widescreen monitor. i have a lot of wasted real estate when im trying to edit my triggers.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 04 May 2008 03:58 AM (UTC)

They were designed in the days when it was good practice to make sure that dialogs, which could not be resized, would fit into a 640 x 480 monitor screen. If not, you wouldn't be able to see the OK button and that would be *really* annoying.

However of course these days not many people use that window size any more.

It is probably time for the configuration windows to be redone, assuming a somewhat larger screen size.

For the meantime, all I can suggest is that the "match" and "send" boxes both have "..." buttons next to them which open up resizable windows for typing in the important text.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Chyort   USA  (58 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sun 04 May 2008 04:14 PM (UTC)
i know about the ...'s in editing the triggers. its the overview of all my triggers that i was more interested in.

Trying to pick out 1 specific trigger in that mess is annoying. more so because i have a lot of triggers that have the same match, and only slightly different sends.

Anyways... thanks for the responce.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sun 04 May 2008 09:28 PM (UTC)
If you do make it bigger, let it auto-resize to something smaller if the screen resolution changes. Can't tell you how many fracking programs I have run into when using some other game, where I wanted to do something in another program, like clicking a button, because it was causing issues with the game, or I needed to check something, where the program had no clue the resolution had changed, and the button was 6+ inches "below" the bottom of the display, where you can't get to it.... There is a reason why programs have system events for resolution changes and "auto-size" as features on their windows. lol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Mon 05 May 2008 03:13 AM (UTC)
I remembered today that the layout of the dialogs is separate from the code these days. It is all in the en.dll file that ships with MUSHclient, so it can be translated to other languages.

I am working on a new version of en.dll that is designed for larger-resolution monitors, so you simply drag and drop the new file into your "locale" directory and restart.

Unfortunately, Shadowfyr I am not sure about auto-switching on screen resolution change on-the-fly. The resources DLL is loaded at program start-up.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 05 May 2008 05:05 AM (UTC)
As an example of the reworking I am doing, here is an example trigger, in the current MUSHclient:

And here is the revamped one which assumes more screen space available:

Note that it is not particularly easy to allow for resizing of dialog boxes on-the-fly without considerable work. The individual elements in the dialog have to be "attached" to each other, so that (for example) an edit box's label always appears just next to it. Thus for the time being there will just be a fixed, but more spacious, layout.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 05 May 2008 06:14 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 05 May 2008 06:16 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

If you want to experiment with the new, more spacious, layout follow the instructions below. This should apply to any of the recent versions that use the en.dll file (say, version 4.14 onwards).

• Download this file: http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/mc_resources_4.24_large.zip
    (120 Kb)

• Close MUSHclient if it is currently running (quit it).

• Unzip mc_resources_4.24_large.zip, which gives you one file: en.dll

• Find your MUSHclient install directory (eg. C:\Program Files\MUSHclient), and locate the "locale" subdirectory.

• Rename the existing en.dll file as en_small.dll (or some name you will remember).

• Copy the new en.dll file from the download into the "locale" directory. (In other words, replace the old en.dll file with the downloaded one).

• Start MUSHclient and try opening your world configuration. All of the configuration windows should look larger.

The main changes are:

• All world configuration windows, in particular lists (eg. trigger lists) will have much more room.

• The "edit" windows for editing triggers, macros, aliases, timers, variables (as in example screen shot above).

If you need to revert for some reason, delete the new en.dll file, and replace it with the file you saved in the earlier step (en_small.dll).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 05 May 2008 06:40 AM (UTC)
I should mention that this resource file is designed for use on monitor resolutions 1024 x 768 or greater.

Nowadays many people with 17 inch or greater sizes are likely to be at least using 1024 x 768 pixels, so this shouldn't be a problem.

The DLL does not introduce any program changes at all, so you can swap in or out the en.dll files depending on what monitor you are using. If you are using a laptop, the original one that comes with MUSHclient may be required, but on larger monitors you can use the file released above.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Mon 05 May 2008 07:17 AM (UTC)
This alteration is such the time saver... Thank you very much Nick.

One thing I am wondering is the method that the dll's are loaded, if you could add in a check for the resolution, and based upon that choose a certain dll to use. I mean it works for localization of mushclient, correct ?

-Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Mon 05 May 2008 07:41 AM (UTC)
Yes that certainly could be done, however this interim measure works with various recent versions of MUSHclient, and didn't require a recompile or new version.

Maybe a future version could check for resolution and select the correct file automatically, and even do what Shadowfyr suggests, and change the resource file on-the-fly if the screen resolution changes.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Wed 07 May 2008 06:11 AM (UTC)
Another fun thing is to use something like 'Resource Hacker' on the en.dll, and you can alter the dialog sizes to whatever you want them to be. I've been looking into making the dialog sizable, but it does not have that option, so it is not an included resource in the dll. No matter, is still fun to arrange things in a way that a person prefers more then the default.

-Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

33,747 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]