[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  erasing zones make planets and planet list code

erasing zones make planets and planet list code

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Phobos   (79 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 16 Oct 2007 11:29 PM (UTC)
Ok now my last post went really well so im gunna see if yall can help me out with this. My goal is to erase all the zones on a smaug and make planets. I know that some of the zones will erase with no problem but i also know some of them are coded in rather extensivly. So if anyone can explain how i would go about making a set of vnum into a planet please let me pick your brain. Also if someone could explain how i would go about making a planet list where the command to see the list of planets would be planets please leave that as well.

I thank you all for extenting your knowledge out to me in advance
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 17 Oct 2007 12:23 AM (UTC)
Here is a list of what you can't remove in Smaug:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~helspawn/smaug/olc-start.html#eraseall

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 17 Oct 2007 12:47 AM (UTC)
Seeing that im modifying it to be an SWR changing these area will not effect my mud i am just wondering how i would go about making a zone of vnum into a planet

Like if i have 1 - 500 for vnum how would i set it as say Earth or whatever

I'm eventually going to make space like the stuff inbetween planets so i need to be able to have the planets seperated from each other. When i give vnum to a person the area is placed in my building folder now would i just rename the file Earth.are and make the name in the arealst then i know the planet list will have to be coded in but first thing is to make the planets into areas.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Findecano   (18 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Wed 17 Oct 2007 01:32 AM (UTC)
Why not download the SMAUG version of SWR?
www.fussproject.org/

However, you will then also be limiting yourself to only people who know about SWR muds, which is less than the SMAUG community at the moment.

Your choice. SWR on fussproject is still SMAUG based, so you will still probably get support behind coding, its just the commands you wont.

--------------------------

Other than that, to change an area's name etc you would use the aset command.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 17 Oct 2007 01:46 AM (UTC)
Seeing that im modifying it to be an SWR changing these area will not effect my mud

No, that's not true. The MUD makes a lot of assumptions about special vnums, that serve a very specific purpose like new-player-room, after-death-room, special object vnums (blood, corpses, coins, puddles and so forth). So you really can't just go deleting stuff willynilly without knowing exactly what you are doing.

If you will allow me to give some advice, let me suggest that you start simple: learn the ropes of basic SMAUG administration before you go on to completely taking everything out and making all new stuff. Be 100% comfortable with creating, editing and even deleting areas before you do anything special. You need to learn to walk before you want to run, or even jog. Trust me, it might be frustrating to have to slow down at first, but you will save yourself a lot of time in the long run. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 18 Oct 2007 03:44 AM (UTC)
Ok well then i how do i install an area after its made so i can start walking well mabey not that far guess so i can crawl
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 18 Oct 2007 04:07 AM (UTC)
Ok well like if say helix is assigned 200 - 300 vnum and it shows helix.are in the area folder but not in the area list how would i go about making it as an area in the mud so it would show as whatever i would want to name it
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Thu 18 Oct 2007 06:38 AM (UTC)
Normally you assign vnums to somebody. They do whatever they do to build those. When they're done, you use the command 'install'. That moves the area to the right place. Don't forget to look up help files, e.g. the ones on this site:
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?wiki=installarea

In general, you don't want to manually be moving files around in the file system. Use the in-game commands to administer the system.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 24 Oct 2007 07:07 PM (UTC)
ok the install gave me a little problem i have been able to install an area but now i am having trouble being able to make areas separated for assignment...

Like since my chat is Helix i have an area helix.are
so i installed helix.are <Mountains>

Then my next area was Lakes so i had helix.are <lakes>

all of the areas are shown as helix.are so how would i assign lakes to someone instead of assigning the first helix.are in the list?

Thank you all for the help that has been provided thus far and if you could help me with this i would be most greatfull.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,213 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]