[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Lua
. . -> [Subject]  Appending date strings to saved notepads

Appending date strings to saved notepads

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Balerion   (18 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 30 Jan 2007 05:24 PM (UTC)
I've got some of the os calls out of the Sandbox, as directed elsewhere on the site, which I've been using to append a time stamp to pages that get directed to a notepad window. I'm thinking I'd like to keep daily logs of these things using SaveNotepad. My only problem is that I can't figure out how to give each file a unique name based on the day -- something like "my_notepad - 2006-01-30.txt" -- while using the SaveNotepad function. os.date doesn't seem to work inside the SaveNotepad function, and putting the desired timestring into a variable doesn't work as the Notepad just spits out the variable name (such as "t") rather than the variable content.

Is there any good way of doing this?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 30 Jan 2007 06:50 PM (UTC)
I don't see why it wouldn't work, apart from coding errors. Can you please post your version, using os.date, that you say doesn't work?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 30 Jan 2007 10:16 PM (UTC)
Almost certainly it's my own mistake somewhere. I tried a number of things, but they're all variations of something like this:

t = os.date(%Y-%m-%d)
SaveNotepad("Game Log","c:/MUSH/MUSHclient/logs/Page Log - t.txt",0)

I'm guessing the problem is that I don't really understand how the os.date output gets put within the SaveNotepad function.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 30 Jan 2007 11:02 PM (UTC)
Oh. Lua has no idea that you're talking about the variable t and not the letter t. And that's a really good thing, actually -- otherwise it would replace the two t's in "txt" with your date!

Try:
SaveNotepad("Game Log","c:/MUSH/MUSHclient/logs/Page Log - " .. t .. ".txt",0)
instead. The .. operator is for string concatenation.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 30 Jan 2007 11:05 PM (UTC)
Ah-ha. I hadn't quite understood what the .. .. thing meant before. Thanks. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Wed 31 Jan 2007 03:23 AM (UTC)
Also, os.date takes a string argument. Eg.

print (os.date(%Y-%m-%d)) --> Error: unexpected symbol near '%'

print (os.date("%Y-%m-%d")) --> 2007-01-31

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,648 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]