[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  cygwin bin files on different folder

cygwin bin files on different folder

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Lt_noodle   (39 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 13 Dec 2005 04:00 AM (UTC)
Hello everyone. Some of you might remember me, I think it was a long time ago. Now I need help, again... Sorry.

I put my SmaugFUSS on the c:cygwin/bin So its with the 68.1mb worth of cygwin files i need to compile the mud. Now I type

cd smaugfuss/src
then...
../../make

and this is what it says

/usr/bin/smaugfuss/src/../../make -s smaug
Compiling o/imc.o....
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [o/imc.o] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2
bash-3.00$

Now I think I know why it won't work, probably because the gcc is on the same folder as make. But I am looking for a way to seperate the cygwin files from the src files because it really slows down my comp when they are together and now when i try to make it doesn't work.

Do I have to put all of my cygwin files on my src folder again so I can successfully make or is there a way to just seperate both of them? When I am at bin and I type ls or any other commands it works out fine, but when I am at another folder and i type ls it won't work because ls is not in that folder, so if I am at my src folder I'd have to type ../../ls to see it and when i do it with ../../make it just stops at gcc. Any help I would greatly appreciate. Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Robert Powell   Australia  (367 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 13 Dec 2005 04:18 AM (UTC)
Just type make from the same directory as the makefile, ie: the src folder and you should be ok.

As for putting smaug in a directory off of /usr/bin is another matter entirly.

In linux/unix type systems you have a /home directory that contains all the user directories. It is best practice to keep your personal files (including smaug) in your own user directory. Ie: /home/username/smaugfuss

Then you can just enter the smaugfuss/src and type make to compile the code.

/usr/bin is used to store user binary files and somewhere you need not go.

Hope thats a little helpfull.

Just a guy having a bit of fun. Nothing more, nothing less, I do not need I WIN to feel validated.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Tue 13 Dec 2005 07:29 AM (UTC)

I put my SmaugFUSS on the c:cygwin/bin So its with the 68.1mb worth of cygwin files i need to compile the mud.

I definitely would not put the SmaugFUSS in the cygwin/bin directory. That is totally the wrong place for it.

You should have a "home" directory with a subdirectory of your name.

For example, if I type "cd" I go to:

/home/nick

I unpacked my SmaugFUSS files there, so they are in:

/home/nick/SmaugFUSS

However if the error message is "gcc: Command not found", then it sounds like you haven't installed all the stuff you need to make SMAUG, like gcc (the compiler).

You better update your Cygwin to include developer tools.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Wed 14 Dec 2005 01:15 AM (UTC)
Yes I think i kind of understand now. A couple months ago i transferred all my cygwin files when I was going to reformat and when i pasted 'em back in there it gets alot of errors so I decided to reinstall. Now I think everything is in order. THanks.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 14 Dec 2005 01:42 AM (UTC)
Oh no... another problem and I have no Idea what to do.
When I run bash this is what it says:

The procedure entry point strtoimax could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin.dll

It was running normally before. What seems to be the problem then? Can someone help me please ? Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 14 Dec 2005 02:09 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 14 Dec 2005 02:33 AM (UTC) by Lt_noodle

Alright... I just deleted the whole bin folder and pasted the bin files I had on cd.

Now I made a new folder inside /home
i created a folder named noodle
then inside i put SmaugFUSS

here's a log of what I did

bash-2.05b$ make /home/noodle/smaugfuss/src/
make: Nothing to be done for `/home/noodle/smaugfuss/src/'.
bash-2.05b$ ls /home/noodle/smaugfuss/src
Copy of Makefile color.c hotboot.c md5.h save.c
Makefile color.h hotboot.h misc.c services.c
convert.c comm.c imc.c mpxset.c shops.c
act_comm.c comments.c imc.h mud.h shutdown.txt
act_info.c const.c imccfg.h mud_comm.c skills.c
act_move.c db.c imm_host.c mud_prog.c special.c
act_obj.c deity.c interp.c o startup
act_wiz.c fight.c magic.c planes.c tables.c
ban.c fixup makeobjs.c planes.h track.c
bet.h fixup.l mapout.c player.c update.c
boards.c grind mccp.c polymorph.c vg_suppress.supp
build.c handler.c mccp.h qstart
clans.c hashstr.c md5.c reset.c
bash-2.05b$

Now ls works but how come make doesn't work?

EDIT: okay I also changed the makefile alil bit

#Uncomment to compile in Cygwin
#CYGWIN = -DCYGWIN

yeah i just erased the #

EDIT2: I did this one and it didn't work

/home/noodle/smaugfuss/src/../../../../../bin/make -s smaug
Compiling o/imc.o....
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [o/imc.o] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2
bash-2.05b$

I have gcc and all that stuff. Before I transferred my old cygwin files on cd everthing works. Now it doesn't....

EDIT: Okay it all worked now. I was really pissed and out of nowhere i typed make clean tada!!!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,294 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]