[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Odd problem, cygwin seems to work, but the mud wont take it

Odd problem, cygwin seems to work, but the mud wont take it

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Zynk   (11 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 10 May 2005 05:33 AM (UTC)
When i compile in cygwin it is making the corresponding .o files for all the .c files in the src directory. However when i then run the mud, it runs as if i hadnt changed anything. Does this have anything to do with the smaug.exe file being in a different folder than the code? This seems like a really weird problem. I went in and tried to change the who list so that you dont have to type who 1. I just plain commented out the whole if statement that is the response it gives if you just type who with no arguments in act_info.c, and commented out the include REQWHOARGS in mud.h, recompiled then rebooted the mud, and nothing changed, who still gives the arguments that i commented out. This seems like a really abnormal problem, it might have to do with the way i have my mud setup but im not sure which part might be setup weird so if you think you might have an answer if i gave more info please post what you need and ill fill that in.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 10 May 2005 03:58 PM (UTC)
When you do a compile, a new exec file should be made. (If you get errors, it won't). Make sure the exec you're running is the one that is new.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zynk   (11 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 10 May 2005 04:11 PM (UTC)
ah alright i see my problem then. When i compile i get undefined reference errors all over to mcount, crypt, RENAME, and re_exec. In the directions here with cygwin it talked about getting this error with re_exec that i had to go and either comment or uncomment a line in the makefile which i did and it changed nothing. Also in the makefile there were other lines pertaining to these errors but when i commented/uncommented them, no difference occured in the compiling(do i need to change it somewhere else other than just that line to make this work?). There was a previous post about 1 of the undefined reference errors, but the conclusion of that post was to get a new program other than cygwin to compile because cygwin often had problems with the smaug code.
That post also talked about disabling 'backtracing' to fix it. How can i do this with cygwin.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Thu 12 May 2005 06:35 AM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

If you change the Makefile you should recompile everything. Deleting all the .o files (first) will achieve that.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Dralnu   USA  (277 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Tue 24 May 2005 05:31 PM (UTC)
After you compile, go back to the area dir and put in

../src/smaug &

and that will start it up w/ changes included. I had the same problem. Windows doesn't remake the .exe files associated w/ the program, so and copies and maybe shortcuts need to be deleted and redone to be able to run it through the .exe file instead of cygwin.
Think that oughta help ya some

BTW, Nick, might want to mention in your compilation FAQ that little fact w/ Windows, and might help people w/ this problem and save forum space
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,941 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]