[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Tips and tricks
. . -> [Subject]  Running under wine.

Running under wine.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Faux   United Kingdom  (77 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 26 Apr 2005 03:04 AM (UTC)
I just thought I'd post my experiences of running MUSHclient on linux, under Wine.

Linux: Kubuntu 2.6.10-5-386.
Wine: 20050310.
MUSHclient: 3.65.

It works, pretty well.. go Wine people.

It works far better than in the screenshots in another thread, either Kubuntu provides, or wine is more intellegent at picking, sensible fonts. There are still a few visual corruptions, but in general, the interface looks a lot better.

The /wine switch appears to make absolutely no difference.

The only thing that's noticably (irritably) broken is scrolling. When incomming text moves stuff up the screen it's fine, but when Is croll with either the mouse wheel or the scroll-bar, the window becomes majorly garbled (outside of the lines that are been drawn). At a guess, wine isn't clearing the whole line as the new text is being drawn.
I know that making MUSH run under linux isn't your primary concern (as it shouldn't be), but would it be easy to make mush clear the entire line before it draws the text (if only with /wine.. I guess it doesn't because a) it's not necessary and b) it's not optimal, speed-wise)?
I can do some screenshots if that'd help my rubish explanation :)

As an aside, I'd recommend kubuntu for playing around with linux. Not sure what the live-cd is like, though.. if you have an old hard-disk, it's well worth playing with.

Faux.

Faux, from Discworld. Feel free to come talk to me =)

http://faux.servebeer.com/
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 26 Apr 2005 03:54 AM (UTC)
The /wine switch was intended to only disable the script system. Since then.. It think WINE now does allow scripting to work right in many cases, where before it wouldn't. Leaving it off only matter if you a) don't have an ActiveScript version of something installed under WINE *and* b) you enable scripting and try to use it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sat 20 Aug 2005 12:03 AM (UTC)
Clearing the window before drawing would make it flicker horribly. It would drive most people mad. The way most GUI interfaces work is that the program "invalidates" the part of the screen that needs redrawing, and then redraws the entire window (possibly optimizing out lines it knows don't actually need drawing). However the actual drawing is clipped to the invalidated region. I haven't had a problem with scrolling and Wine, so I suspect that updating the Wine version may fix it for you.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,379 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]