[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Function improvement

Function improvement

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 11 Dec 2004 10:20 PM (UTC)
I recently did a function to handle berserk (uncontrollable demon form), so they attack random things in the room, or travel elsewhere to find others. I am looking for comments on how to improve this function, problems it could cause, and so on. Basically, I'd like some criticism on it, so I can learn more.

void hanyou_dform_randoms( CHAR_DATA *ch )
{
    int chars=0;
    CHAR_DATA *rch;
    sh_int door;
    EXIT_DATA *pexit;

if ( IS_NPC( ch ) || ch->race != 2 || ch->fighting || (ch->race == 2 && !xIS_SET(ch->act, PLR_TFORMED) ) )
        return;

if ( IS_SET(ch->in_room->room_flags, ROOM_SAFE ) )
        return;

if ( number_percent() < 30 )
        return;

for ( rch = ch->in_room->first_person; rch; rch = rch->next_in_room )
    {
        if ( ch == rch || xIS_SET(rch->act, ACT_PACIFIST) )
           continue;
        if ( can_see( ch, rch ) )
        {
          chars++;
          if ( number_percent() < 20 )
          {
               act( AT_FIRE, "In a frenzy, you jump at $N!",  ch, NULL, rch, TO_CHAR    );
               act( AT_FIRE, "In a frenzy, $n jumps at you!", ch, NULL, rch, TO_VICT    );
               act( AT_FIRE, "In a frenzy, $n jumps at $N!",  ch, NULL, rch, TO_NOTVICT );
                if ( IS_NPC(rch) )
                  do_kill( ch, rch->name );
                else if ( !IS_NPC(rch) )
                  do_murder( ch, rch->name );
          }
        }
    }
    if ( chars < 1 )
    {
      door = number_door();
      pexit = get_exit( ch->in_room, door );
      if ( pexit != NULL && pexit->to_room )
      {
        act( AT_PLAIN, "Finding no victims, you wander elsewhere.",  ch, NULL, NULL, TO_CHAR    );
        move_char( ch, get_exit( ch->in_room, door ), 0, FALSE );
      }
    }

return;
}

Yes there are some obvious things, such as putting all the ifchecks in one ifcheck near the top.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 11:26 PM (UTC)
Well, I would use the RACE_* name instead of the number two, if it ever changed you would have to manually edit it, and people, yourself included, would understand with a quick look about which race your refereing too.

I would also look at your calls to do_kill and do_murder, have you tested that, should that one attack kill them, will rch still be valid, or will it have been cleared?

Also, with your call to do_kill for npc's, I think you need to pass the short_descr to it instead of name, I think it get_char checks against that instead of name, can't remember off hand though.

Also, just for clarity, I know its small and maybe its just me, I would check chars == 0 rather than < 1, same thing but it better expresses your purpose, IMO.

Also, you don't technically need the return; at the bottom, as any void when hitting the end of the function will return by default.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 11:36 PM (UTC)

Well I have tested it, and it works fine. But perhaps that could be a problem in the future.

Not the short desc, (unless I one_arg it) because they are the keywords for the NPC.

*shrug* If somehow it turns out to be negative, this is why I did is less than, instead of 0.

True, might as well remove that return.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sun 12 Dec 2004 08:33 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 12 Dec 2004 08:34 PM (UTC) by David Haley

The chars variable cannot go negative from the code you have; but comparing it against 0 is just better stylistically.

You should also do checks for closed doors and the like when the character wanders looking for victims.

Edit:
You should also probably break out of the for loop when you find a victim, because I don't believe you can do_kill on multiple people anyhow. This would also solve that rch problem Greven brought up.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 12 Dec 2004 09:08 PM (UTC)
Ah yes, since I only increase chars. Whoops, makes sense. Here is the redone function thanks to your suggestions.

void hanyou_dform_randoms( CHAR_DATA *ch )
{
    int chars=0;
    CHAR_DATA *rch;
    sh_int door;
    EXIT_DATA *pexit;
    char buf[MAX_STRING_LENGTH];

if ( IS_NPC( ch ) || ch->race != RACE_HANYOU || ch->fighting || (ch->race == RACE_HANYOU && !xIS_SET(ch->act, PLR_TFORME$
        return;

if ( IS_SET(ch->in_room->room_flags, ROOM_SAFE ) )
        return;

if ( number_percent() < 30 )
        return;

for ( rch = ch->in_room->first_person; rch; rch = rch->next_in_room )
    {
        if ( ch == rch || xIS_SET(rch->act, ACT_PACIFIST) )
           continue;
        if ( can_see( ch, rch ) )
        {
          chars++;
          if ( number_percent() < 20 )
          {
               act( AT_FIRE, "In a frenzy, you jump at $N!",  ch, NULL, rch, TO_CHAR    );
               act( AT_FIRE, "In a frenzy, $n jumps at you!", ch, NULL, rch, TO_VICT    );
               act( AT_FIRE, "In a frenzy, $n jumps at $N!",  ch, NULL, rch, TO_NOTVICT );
                  sprintf(buf, "hyoukaiform: %s atk %s.", ch->name, rch->name );
                  to_channel( buf, CHANNEL_DEBUG, "Debug", LEVEL_IMMORTAL );
                if ( IS_NPC(rch) )
                {
                  do_kill( ch, rch->name );
                  break;
                }
                else if ( !IS_NPC(rch) )
                {
                  do_murder( ch, rch->name );
                  break;
                }
          }
        }
    }

if ( chars == 0 )
    {
      door = number_door();
      pexit = get_exit( ch->in_room, door );
      if ( pexit != NULL && pexit->to_room && !IS_SET(pexit->exit_info, EX_CLOSED ) )
      {
        act( AT_PLAIN, "Finding no victims, you wander elsewhere.",  ch, NULL, NULL, TO_CHAR    );
         sprintf(buf, "hyoukaiform: %s moves %s.", ch->name,  dir_name[door] );
         to_channel( buf, CHANNEL_DEBUG, "Debug", LEVEL_IMMORTAL );
        move_char( ch, get_exit( ch->in_room, door ), 0, FALSE );
      }
    }

}

Do not mind the debugs. For my use. Does it look all good now?

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

10,895 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]