[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Notepad....

Notepad....

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Tatewaki2365   (34 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 07 Dec 2004 11:25 AM (UTC)
Is there a way to do some kind of 'past special', or paste it in a way that doesn't require revising from MS Word? What I do when I want to send my description to the MUD (Or an application), I write it in MS Word, then paste it into notepad, and use the 'send to world' command. But when I do this, it generally takes out all of the formatting that was done in Word. Is there a way to transfer that over as well, or should I just suck it up and spend an extra few seconds to revise it again?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Gore   (207 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 07 Dec 2004 11:28 AM (UTC)
hrm.. what I'd suggest is to write it in notepad, so you don't have to worry about that formatting, but I don't know much about MS Word, as.. sad as that is =p I do all my text editing in notepad heh
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tatewaki2365   (34 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 07 Dec 2004 11:46 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 07 Dec 2004 11:48 AM (UTC) by Tatewaki2365

I would, except it doesn't offer the same options as Word. It's alot easier to write in Word than it is in notepad; the autowrapping is especially one of my pet peeves - I can never get things lined up unless the word processor I'm using is capable of setting boundaries for me, so that I can type and not have to worry about trying to type a certain amount of letters/numbers before pushing enter. But it also applies for indentations, etc.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 07 Dec 2004 12:49 PM (UTC)
Word processors generally have a problem when trying to convert their changes to other programs in that the method used is not standardized, where a text editor, like note pad, is. In note pad you can turn the word wrapper on/off, but generally a mud will require manual line breaks to be entered automatically. The problem with trying to do the same as a word processor like word is that the auto-wrapper it uses doesn't use \n or \r to force a new line, and this is generally whats needed for muds that run on a linux platform. Indentation should be the same if your using spaces to force the space you need, where things like tabs can be changed arbitrarily.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 07 Dec 2004 05:58 PM (UTC)
You could write a small script that takes the notepad contents (GetNotepadText), formats to 78 columns or whatever you want (look for linefeed, backtrack to previous space), and then puts it back (SendToNotepad) or just sends it to the world (Send).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,726 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]