[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Log file rollover

Log file rollover

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Dave   Australia  (93 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 01 Sep 2003 04:07 AM (UTC)
Don't know if this has been suggested before, but it would be nice if MUSHclient automatically opened a new log file when the day turns over (assuming the date field for "day" is found in the log file in General|Logging). This CAN be done with a plugin and a timer, but I think it would be more appropriate to do this within MUSHclient itself. If you're logging to a daily file, you sort of expect it to log to "correct" filename, instead of whenever MUSHclient closes/reopens.

Dave
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 01 Sep 2003 07:22 AM (UTC)
Its perfectly appropriate to do it with a plugin and a timer, thats exactly what the plugin system was designed for... (it wont only do it when mushclient closes/opens, you can set it up to do it whenever the day changes)

There is someone who had questions about changing days and such with logs in the forums past... Do a search for the thread, there might be some examples.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 01 Sep 2003 07:30 AM (UTC)
Did you read what I posted? I know it can be done with a plugin, I was simply asking for it to be included in MUSHclient.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Mon 01 Sep 2003 07:59 AM (UTC)
I dont see why thats an issue, plugins were designed so that mushclient wouldnt get bloated by a bunch of people wanting something and insisting it goes in, and thereby forcing others to have it, even if they dont use it.

Thought you thought there was some problem with it being used as a plugin ("If you're logging to a daily file, you sort of expect it to log to "correct" filename, instead of whenever MUSHclient closes/reopens.")

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 01 Sep 2003 08:09 AM (UTC)
I meant that I expect MUSHclient itself to log to the correct filename when the day rolls over, which is why I suggested it be put into MUSHclient itself instead of a plugin. I'm all for not having bloat, but I'd hardly call logging to the logical filename bloat.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Mon 01 Sep 2003 08:18 AM (UTC)
This subject was canvassed fairly recently. I see where you are coming from, but say you put the hour/minute/second in the log file name, do you expect a new log file every second? I don't think so. If not, however you could argue that the log file name "does not show the correct time".

The name is the date/time you opened it. It is up to you to close/re-open it (say in a plugin or a timer) at a frequency that suits you. Say, every hour.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,491 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]