[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Attack of the eight-legged freaks

Attack of the eight-legged freaks

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Garaelb   (54 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 17 Jul 2003 10:58 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 17 Jul 2003 11:00 PM (UTC) by Garaelb

I checked my bug.txt file for the first time this morning. Some of them I was able to figure out and fix soem of them I have no idea what they mean. I am very much afraid of bugs. They bite and they sting and they creep around in the code. Help me destroy them, before they destroy me. I've tried RAID (tm) and I've called the Orkin man (tm) but they don't do these kinds of pests. You're my last line of defense, and then it's global thermo-nuclear war, and we all know what that means.

The following is a list of bug species found in my game:

Quote:
[*****] BUG: add_help: duplicate: IMCLIST. Deleting.
[*****] BUG: add_help: duplicate: IMCFLAGS. Deleting.
[*****] BUG: add_help: duplicate: RCHAT RIMM RCODE. Deleting.
[*****] BUG: add_help: duplicate: RWHO. Deleting.
[*****] BUG: add_help: duplicate: RWHOIS. Deleting.

Dont know what these are but there is a whole bunch more of them all in a row, and they are very frequent.

Quote:
[*****] BUG: fread_number: EOF encountered on read.
[*****] BUG: fread_to_eol: EOF encountered on read.
[*****] BUG: load_planes: can't open plane file for read.

I'm clueless here! EOF means End of File I know but what file?

Quote:
[*****] BUG: Dam_message: bad dt 1027 from Cave Troll in 11049.
[*****] BUG: Write_corpses: Cannot open file.

I'm not really into grave robbing but I would like to know what write_corpses: is having a hard time opening.

Quote:
[*****] BUG: death_cry: invalid vnum

I kinda understand this one but with no vnum listed have no idea where to look for it. It has been a bug from the stock game.

Quote:
[*****] BUG: add_help: duplicate: ICE-POLICY. Deleting.
[*****] BUG: Read_object: vnum 11039 bad type.
[*****] BUG: ------------------------> 55

Ok I looked at vnum 11039 and it is a Longbow_type item which is what it is suppose to be. I really don't understand how to make bow weapons I guess. And that "---> 55" part really throws me for a loop.

Quote:
[*****] BUG: Dam_message: bad dt 1037 from Gnome Slave in 11072.
[*****] BUG: Dam_message: bad dt 1037 from Gnome Slave in 11072.
[*****] BUG: act_string: player a pedestrian has sex set at 3!
[*****] BUG: act_string: player a pedestrian has sex set at 3!

Ok The dt is a mystery - I figure it means damage type but I don't understand what is bad about my damage type. I get this on a couple of critters. And the sex thing is set to either does the game not understand that flag? It is one of the options listed!

Quote:
[*****] BUG: Save_god_level: fopen

I've only seen this one once, but I'm thinking God would like to be saved. :-) Help me take a byte out of bugs. :-)

~G~
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 17 Jul 2003 11:37 PM (UTC)
Sex accepts 3 numeric values - 0 1 2, anything beyond these will return a bad value bug. As for how a mob would get a sex value of higher than 2 or less than 0, check out any gear they may be wearing that modifies the sex of the wearer or potentially a sex change spell affect. Seemingly your write_corpses function is supposed to write some data to a file somewhere and the file a) doesn't exist or b) doesn't have write permissions set on it. The add_help entries are exactly what they say they are, dulpicate helps that are being deleted. Why they are duplicate is another matter entirely and might need some investigation. As for the bad dt messages, check out the dice formula's on the mobs in question, you may find they exceed the coded support for damage dice. The death_cry errors most likely stem from bad mprog references to objs or mobs that were intended to be either loaded or referenced when the mob died.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 01:15 AM (UTC)

The sex thing issue was easy enough to fix, but it bothers me a bit that the game offered the Male, Female, Nuetral, or Either and I selected Either, and then it bugs out.

Quote:
Seemingly your write_corpses function is supposed to write some data to a file somewhere and the file a) doesn't exist or b) doesn't have write permissions set on it.

The write_corpse has been a bug from the opening of the game. No idea where it is though. :-(

Nor do I know where or how to find the duplicate help files that are being deleted. more :-(

for the damage_dice code bug the damage I have set for that critter is 3d6+3 meaning
3 six sided dice + 3 points.
Maybe I don't fully understand how the damage dice works yet. Thats actually pretty much true. I don't get the
185d1+30 or what ever it might be. It seems to follow the same method but who uses 1 sided dice?

The death crys are annoying but I can live with them for right now.

Any ideas on the fread_eol errors or the how to make a bow and arrow issue?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 04:13 AM (UTC)
Log: Sorrin (5) killed by a Fire Ant at 10423
Monitor: Sorrin (5) killed by a Fire Ant at 10423
Log: [*****] BUG: Write_corpses: Cannot open file.

I just got this on my screen form one of the players.

I'm pretty sure this is the write_corpse error that shows up in the Bug.txt log.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 07:03 AM (UTC)
I think you need a corpse or corpses directory - do you have that?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 09:16 AM (UTC)
Area
....Imc
boards
clans
classes
councils
diety
docs
gods
log
player
.... A-Z dirs
races
system

thats it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 05:52 PM (UTC)
Create a corpses dir. I seem to recall from several other forums that its supposed to exist for smaug but for some unknown reason isnt included in the standard install package. That should eliminate the write_corpse errors youve been seeing immediately.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 06:53 PM (UTC)
kewl deal Meer - added it and killed my test char several times and no more corpse errors.

From looking at the Dir structure posted above is there anything else that I am missing?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Fri 18 Jul 2003 09:48 PM (UTC)

[*****] BUG: Save_god_level: fopen

And a god or gods directory?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,920 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]