[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Linewrap difficulties with XP

Linewrap difficulties with XP

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Myrzon   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 15 Oct 2002 04:33 AM (UTC)
I have been using MUSHclient with Windows XP for many months now, with little to no troubles at all. However, recently I have installed SP1 for XP, and afterwards there has been a problem with the word wrapping of the input line. Whenever I go past the certain colum where it usualy has wrapped to the next line, the characters just continue on, and off of the text area itself. It makes it very difficult to use the client for roleplaying, or anything that requires me to type over a line of text. Any insight on this problem would be greatly appretiated... It's really driving me nuts.

Thanks

~When at first you don't succeed, redefine success~
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 15 Oct 2002 10:00 AM (UTC)
I don't seem to be able to reproduce this. I just downloaded the 140 Mb download that is the XP service pack 1, bearing in mind that a few years ago I didn't even have a 100 Mb disk drive, and installed it. I then tested MUSHclient which seems to work normally, see screen dump below ...

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Myrzon   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 15 Oct 2002 01:54 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 15 Oct 2002 05:47 PM (UTC) by Myrzon

No one else seems to be able to recreate this problem either on their own computers either... For some odd reason it seems to be localized just to mine. But SP1 is the only thing that I can think of that could have caused it, there was nothing else I installed that night. Could there be any reason at all that this is happening?

EDIT: I have also attempted to reinstall the program, but it still doesn't fix the problem.

~When at first you don't succeed, redefine success~
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 15 Oct 2002 06:35 PM (UTC)
Gee... A problem with a Windows OS that shows up randomly for no apparent reason after a service patch... Who would have thought. lol

My guess would be either that something was unintentionally changed with regard to the control used for the input box or the dll containing that control was somehow corrupted, at least that would be my first guess. This is not unheard of, though supposedly such things are not supposed to happen with XP. Only goes to show that the old joke is still true, "The only way to use Windows and have it never mess up your computer is to use the still shrink wrapped box as a book end and install something else."

Sadly I haven't a clue how to track down the missing/corrupted files on my own Win98se system that causes it to eat system memory at a fast pace and lock up, so I am not exactly in a position to suggest how to fix yours. :p
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 15 Oct 2002 09:38 PM (UTC)

Sadly I haven't a clue how to track down the missing/corrupted files on my own Win98se system that causes it to eat system memory at a fast pace and lock up, so I am not exactly in a position to suggest how to fix yours. :p

You have heard of the old definition?

Upgrade.
Exchange your old bugs for new ones.

I am using NT 4 (requires minimum 16 Mb memory) rather than Windows 2000 (requires minimum 64 Mb memory) or Windows XP (requires minimum 128 Mb memory). My mind frankly boggles at what an operating system would do to require more memory than was routinely installed in PCs a couple of years ago for the operating system and all your applications (say, 16 Mb to 32 Mb).

Using NT 4 with Service Pack 6 - which is a fairly mature operating system with comparatively minimal requirements, is something I would recommend. It is a lot more crash-proof than the "95" variants (95, 98, ME) and reasonably quick and easy to use.

A couple of days I backed everything up, and totally reformatted the hard disks, and then started installing from scratch the things I really need, in the process discarding the junk that has accumulated over the last few years. So far so good. As soon as I get the compiler back on I'll look at doing a new MUSHclient version which addresses recent issues (see release notes).

As for your problem Myrzon, it is hard to know what to suggest. The command window is just a multi-line Edit control, the sort of thing used all over the place in Windows. Can you remove the service pack? When I installed mine it gave me the option to back up the old files. Alternatively, try reinstalling it, maybe it didn't get finished.

If you are desparate try using a notepad window and then from that type in your long descriptions and do a "send to world" or whatever the menu item is exactly.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Wed 16 Oct 2002 03:30 AM (UTC)
I would consider NT. If A) it wasn't easier and less expensive to install a Linux partition for free, B) I could still use games without installing a copy of DOS I can't buy anymore to run some old games and C) I could afford to replace any hardware that turned out not to work with NT. Upgrade implies being able to to better things, not lose half of what you can do now. ;) lol

But seriously, the problem 'may' have something to do with my video card being in partial failure and not being able to replace it right now. If not, then I can probably trak down the problem eventually. I just tend to prefer using it than fixing it and going to NT is an expensive fix for something that can still go wrong again later and be even less repairable do to the OS differences.

I know it is fixable and I neer plan to install a newer version of Windows if I can avoid it, 'unless' MS fixes a lot of problems and makes some serious changes to their assumptions about me as an end user. Such as the most recent Media Player bit where apparently they expect to be given sys-admin level access to media stored on your computer without your permission, approval or any notice. And also due to the 16M -> 32M -> 128M jumps you noted, which is a sign of a lot of junk being installed we are not being told about imho.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,308 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]