[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  memory increase continuously in server 2003
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

memory increase continuously in server 2003

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Unia_nt   (17 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 11 Mar 2016 09:41 AM (UTC)
Anyone who met the mushclient consume memory continuously? I open 8 worlds and 2 dummy worlds in mushclient under server2003, after 3-4 days, the memory used by mushclient will be 400M+ and continuously increasing.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (1,641 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 11 Mar 2016 11:09 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 11 Mar 2016 11:10 AM (UTC) by Fiendish

Could it be your plugins? Throw a memory usage check function into each of your plugins and then call it when this happens again.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 11 Mar 2016 03:47 PM (UTC)
I thought it's not caused by my script...I run garbage collection every 1 hour.

An obviously phenomenon is when I minimize the mushclient window, the memory consumption showed dramatically decreased from several hundreds M to 10+ M, and then increase fast again. So every 5 days, I had to close and restart my mushclient.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (1,641 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #3 on Fri 11 Mar 2016 05:25 PM (UTC)
1) Garbage collection runs on its own automatically.
2) Forcing garbage collection doesn't actually mean that a plugin isn't expanding. what does collectgarbage("count") return for each of them?

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Fri 11 Mar 2016 10:16 PM (UTC)
Template:version Please help us by advising the version of MUSHclient you are using. Use the Help menu -> About MUSHclient.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 11 Mar 2016 10:18 PM (UTC)
If a script allocates memory (eg. makes a miniwindow) and then doesn't de-allocate it, that can stay around forever.

You could try this:

Template:bug

Please provide a summary of your world configuration:

• Either use the scripting Immediate window (Ctrl+I) to execute: Debug ("summary")

or

• Install the Summary plugin (see "Summary" feature) and type "summary"

Then copy the resulting information from the output window, and paste into a Forum message.

You need version 4.55 onwards of MUSHclient to do this.

See if there are more miniwindows (or something) than you expect.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 12 Mar 2016 03:53 AM (UTC)
Thanks Nick and Fiendish for your comments!

If there are no other guys met similar things,that should be my own problems.

I will try to debug this problem by myself first to observe the memory usage of all worlds and each plugin.If still no observation, I will post the Debug("summary") to this forum.

By the way, I don't use mini window, but one dummy world to print info., another dummy world for chat info., and 3 small plugins.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 12 Mar 2016 07:50 AM (UTC)
Please state which version of MUSHclient you are using.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sat 12 Mar 2016 10:22 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

3,151 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]