[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Newbie needing help with Cygwin/smaug codebase

Newbie needing help with Cygwin/smaug codebase

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Lyrien   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 10 Feb 2013 07:31 PM (UTC)
Im a complete newbie trying to run DBsaga 2.0. I've got the codebase downloaded and I have Cygwin ver.1.7.17-1. I've read some of the how to compile threads and other posts but I don't exactly understand what I should do. The dbsc is in a zip file still. Do I need to move that folder somewhere into Cygwin? Im only doing this for personal use, learning to build and general fun. Can anyone give me a simple step-by- step newbie friendly guide to get this running on mushclient please?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 10 Feb 2013 08:42 PM (UTC)
There was a thread recently involving Cygwin:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11923

You should probably also read this:

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

To run most MUDs you need both a codebase (eg. Smaug, Mux, MUSH) and also the appropriate database / rooms file.

It isn't clear exactly what you have.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 11 Feb 2013 09:11 AM (UTC)
I got it worked out now the codebase was outdated. I now have used the make command and compiled everything but now when I use ./startup in the src folder I get Permission Denied. Is it something to do with using Windows 8?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 11 Feb 2013 10:36 AM (UTC)
Might be. It might depend where you installed Cygwin, maybe.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 11 Feb 2013 09:43 PM (UTC)
Ah that might be the problem. Should I just re-install it in a different location then such as My Documents?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 11 Feb 2013 11:44 PM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 14 Feb 2013 04:10 AM (UTC)
Okay. I tried re-installing Cygwin to My Documents instead; however, now when I bring up the terminal it is completely different and does recognize any default Cygwin command.
This is what it shows when installed to a folder that is not default..

bash-4.1$

When I tempt to use LS to find the directory, I am given this message.

bash-4.1$ ls
bash: ls: command not found
bash-4.1$ ls

Please keep in mind this is Windows 8. I had no problem a few years ago using the program on XP. What am I missing? And where should I try to install cygwin since the C:\ location is giving me permission issues when trying to use ./startup?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Thu 14 Feb 2013 05:39 AM (UTC)
I honestly don't know about Windows 8. I don't have a copy.

I can only suggest you Google something like "cygwin windows 8" and see what happens.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,476 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]