[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Dawn of Time
. -> [Folder]  New Dawn Muds Announcements
. . -> [Subject]  New MUD start-up [Dawn]

New MUD start-up [Dawn]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Jeremystratton   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 21 Jul 2012 01:54 PM (UTC)
Fresh install of Dawn of Time 1.69r
Base game is playable, although tweaking/building will commence soon.

**Coders and Alpha testers welcome. No guarantees and no promises.**

I have a fresh install of DoT that appears to be running. Preliminary testing showed a friend could log in, create a character and start playing.

I don't know what interest is left anymore in MUD creation, but I and 1 other person, both non-coders, will be working on this.

It's on my my own machine, so downtime will happen.

DoT shows promise for non-coders to be able to still highly-customize a unique MUD.

"Coding"

Problems will be with startup errors, anomalies and new errors and building as tweaking continues.

Any coders willing to help out a little, and/or from time to time, on specific, problematic areas are welcome.

"Alpha Testers"

MUD creation/coding knowledge a plus, but certainly not necessary. Hopefully it serves as a bonus that this is a fully functioning base version of Dawn of Time, so you could very likely have fun, while running around and testing. Like coders - no promises. There will likely be broken features and systems with occasional offline time.

"Disclaimer"

This is a new install that is "brand-new". A lot of planning needs to be done to be even half-serious about continuing this project. For that reason, at least initially, I can't promise anything. It's going to be hard enough to find the time to consistently work on this, without much help or coding knowledge.

This is the beginning, hence the "Alpha 1.0"
Base install is up and running, building has not even commenced yet. "If you're going to do something, you should do it right".

"Initial planning"

The initial, rough outline is to continue learning the editors and functionality, start planning online and offline resources and create a new test area to build in, place objects and mobs, and test different possibilities. After the testing area has been explored and working with mobs, objects, and many of the other functions, then work on Version 1.0 of the real world can start.

The initial vision is for heavy roleplay, but with some, limited OOC options. This is all subject to change, but I would say Achaea is a MUD that I'm highly impressed with. So for the "feel" and "idealogy", think Achaea, in a totally new, unique world with many of my own ideas for mechanics. I'm a lover of crafting, so I will probably work on a very heavily focused crafting/merchant/auction/economy side as well.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Sun 22 Jul 2012 09:34 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 22 Jul 2012 09:35 PM (UTC) by Jeremystratton

Sorry if this double-post is a "no-no". I can add it to the OP, if so.

I've got what appears to be a fairly stable install of Dawn1.69r running. All seems good and I've made it public for testing, before I embark on editing and building.

Address: 24.165.135.71
Port # : 4000

It's up 24/7, except for unexpected problems. It's an Alpha phase, so there will be problems, but I'm already looking at mitigating that by getting a script installed that checks the on line status every 5 minutes and auto-connects if it detects its offline.

There's also am Alpha-test forum I created to track progress, bugs from testers and coders, general questions; a place to just centralize everything.

http://fantasymud.proboards.com

There is, of course, a full working game, "Dawn of Time" with the fresh install, so please feel free to sign-up and start playing.

Thanks!
-Jeremy
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #2 on Tue 24 Jul 2012 02:53 AM (UTC)
I'll be curious to see how you feel about this project after a month or so. Please keep us informed!

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 24 Jul 2012 05:03 AM (UTC)

That time many go through; Whether learning to make a MUD or sitting down to write a book. I'll probably be quite out of the dazzle-in-my-eyes honeymoon phase, staring at actual work that doesn't look fun or feel fun, but seems like "work" that doesn't seem to return much results for the amount of time needed.

I'll take it as it comes, but I always tell myself and others, "No promises". I keep expectations low and try to concentrate on the minute-to-minute stuff, and curb that part of a person that get fired up because of what they think the finished project will be like. It's actually a little like gaming. I'm not a "get to endgame fast, because that's where the fun is" kinda guy. I like the journey. I prefer not to look ahead to what's fun, but see what's fun from second to second, right now, in front of me. I try to be more excited on what I'm doing now: the discovery of a cool snippet, learning a bit of code I actually got to work or building an area.

Thank you for the well wishes, but no promises. ;)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #4 on Mon 17 Sep 2012 12:57 AM (UTC)
I tried connecting to see what you've been up to, but it seems to be offline at the moment. :\

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,413 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]