[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  PennMUSH
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Upgrading PennMUSH Server

Upgrading PennMUSH Server

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by TheDoctor   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 16 Apr 2002 09:52 PM (UTC)
I have an older version of PennMush running on a WinNT 4.0 Server box. I would like to run the lastest release. I downloaded the binary and copied my database to the new program's directory and ran the program.

When I tried to log on, however, I received a message that said something to the effect of "that user does not exist or has a different password." I went into indb and edited "#1"'s password but it still didn't work.

Any suggestions?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 16 Apr 2002 11:08 PM (UTC)
Have you read the post "Password Problems" in this section of the forum? There is a description about changing the XYZZY line, or omitting it.

There are different ways the password was stored, confused by a problem with big-endian/little-endian, a while ago, in the SHS algorithm.

If you only have the binary that is hard to change that bit, but I would try omitting the password, or typing it in in clear text. Failing that, create another character (a mortal) wait for the database to save, then edit it and find that character's password line, then copy and paste that in for #1. Then you should know the god password.

Failing all that, do what I suggested in the other post. Edit the source to change the check for wizards changing the god password (or omit the password check altogether), recompile and run that for long enough to get in as god.

If you are using the binary only that will be harder, but you could download Cygwin, download the source, and compile it under Cygwin.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 16 Apr 2002 11:48 PM (UTC)
I did follow those instructions. Didn't work. I'll have to try creating a mortal and copying that password in.

I would really like to avoid needing to compile the code.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 17 Apr 2002 04:26 AM (UTC)
According to the source code, the password attribute is "XYXXY", and if it omitted then it accepts the connection.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 17 Apr 2002 08:48 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,823 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]