[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  VT support?

VT support?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Akai Alonkai   (4 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 11 Apr 2010 04:38 AM (UTC)

Hello again...

I was just wondering what is everyones opinions on VT.

I'm not sure but VT is either Virtural or Visual Text. I have seen one mud with it implemented which are Forgotten Kingdoms and I have been told Mortal Realms also has it but I haven't seen that for myself.

I was wondering things such as cons and pros... Difficulties of implenting over the benifit it could give, and so on.

If anything maybe open up possible discusions on it. The one mud I've seen it on works nice with most MUD clients, even works with newer Telnets.

Just wanted to see if anyone had opinions on this...

Creep

This was actually in a topic from 2002, but there wasn't a single reply. I've played on the same MUD Creep mentioned, and while the VT is nice.... MUSHClient doesn't support it.

I think it's fairly obvious what I'd like to see. Full VT support (Even Windows telnet has it >.<). In the program itself, or in a plugin, either way would work. The only problem I can see with it, is that every implementation of VT I've seen so far, forces the screen to a specific number of lines, so maybe if MUSHClient gets the support, it could manage more lines between the top and bottom of the 'interface' somehow?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 11 Apr 2010 06:01 AM (UTC)
This has come up a few times in the past. :)

Yes, Windows telnet supports it, but it isn't a MUD client.

MUSHclient is a MUD client, but doesn't support VT sequences.

The reason is that basically everything MUSHclient does, does not make sense if characters can come down individually, screen addressed to column 5, line 7, and then column 22, line 15.

Under these conditions:

• You can't trigger on end-of-lines, because lines never really end
  • You can't log lines for the same reason
  • You can't scroll back, because scrolling back is really line by line.

It's just a different beast, sorry.

All I can suggest is PuTTY which is a nice full-featured telnet client. It supports SSH, UTF-8, and has lots of other features.

It is free. You can get it from:

http://www.putty.org/

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sun 11 Apr 2010 06:28 AM (UTC)
Could a plugin put the VT interface in a mini-window, maybe?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 11 Apr 2010 07:46 AM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 11 Apr 2010 07:53 PM (UTC)
So the question is... who would be inclined to code the plugin? my scripting knowledge is exceptionally limited.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

11,943 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]