[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Inexplicable delay after sending a command. (Second-hand explanation)

Inexplicable delay after sending a command. (Second-hand explanation)

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2  3 

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #30 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:12 PM (UTC)
Intel Core 2, 1.86 GHz
2GB RAM

Running the Execute() test:

First run:  0.067598256224301
Second run: 0.039072563697118
Third run:  0.059434928232804

Replacing the for loop with a single Execute("say test test test test..."):

First run:  0.0013294985983521
Second run: 0.0011004192056134
Third run:  0.0011353397858329

I decided to try my own version of the test because everyone I had heard from saw it when just sending one command.

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Hanaisse   Canada  (114 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #31 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:12 PM (UTC)
I can't get the 3rd test to print out the "Time to receive all output = " line after I see "You say ' End timing test. '"

aka: Hana
Owner in Training of: Fury of the Gods
alm-dev.org:4000
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #32 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:15 PM (UTC)
A better test again might get rid of some of the decimal places, I think the last ones are a bit irrelevant. Try this:

tstart = GetInfo (232)

for i = 1, 20 do
  Execute ("look")
  Execute ("score")
end -- for

tend = GetInfo (232)
print (string.format ("Time taken = %1.3f seconds", tend - tstart))

Running that I got:

Time taken = 0.003 seconds

Effectively this truncates the results down to milliseconds, after that I think things become a bit problematic, because things like another program becoming active for a few microseconds are going to affect the results.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #33 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:17 PM (UTC)

I can't get the 3rd test to print out the "Time to receive all output = " line after I see "You say ' End timing test. '"

Check the trigger. Make sure that what it is matching on is what you see. In my case:

say End timing test.
You say 'End timing test.'

Thus my trigger matched: *You say 'End timing test.'

The leading * was to allow for a prompt in front of "You say".

If your "say" comes out looking different, change the trigger appropriately.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Hanaisse   Canada  (114 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #34 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:28 PM (UTC)
I'm running Smaug so it's exactly the same match as yours. Even removing the preceeding * it doesn't print. Might be a colour code in there, I'll check.

Also, modified execute test: Time taken = 0.074 seconds.

I'm in Canada and my server is in Belgium so I do expect some delay and that's probably what I'm seeing in these results. As I said it doesn't particularly bother me anyway. :)

aka: Hana
Owner in Training of: Fury of the Gods
alm-dev.org:4000
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #35 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:35 PM (UTC)
For what it's worth, you can fairly easily subtract network delay from your test by running 'ping <server>' in the console window, and subtracting that amount from the test results. It only makes sense to do that with the trigger version of the test, though.

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #36 on Tue 15 Dec 2009 10:40 PM (UTC)

Also, modified execute test: Time taken = 0.074 seconds.

I'm in Canada and my server is in Belgium so I do expect some delay and that's probably what I'm seeing in these results.

That test simply times how long the local echo takes. Where the server is doesn't matter.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #37 on Thu 17 Dec 2009 07:49 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 17 Dec 2009 07:50 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

The other variables it would help to look at are:

• Operating system - is there a common thread here? For example, is the "slow" version always running on Vista? (Or are you still using Windows 95 maybe?)

• Operating system configuration. Occasionally I get complaints that MUSHclient shows text "right to left" in the command window. This turns out to be that they have activated right-to-left keyboard entry in Windows. The command window is just a Windows "Edit" control, and thus is subject to operating-system parameters like that.

• Other operating system optional things, like "sticky keys".

• Other known external software, such as "automated macro" recording. This may be slowing down processing of input as the keystokes are first recorded by this software.

• A virus or trojan horse (keylogger). Try scanning for viruses. Maybe when you press <enter> the keylogger busily adds what you typed to a lengthy file on disk (or sends it over the Internet to the site which installed the Trojan).

• Some other unusual configuration you haven't mentioned, such as running under Ubuntu, or on a Mac on Parallels, or via a network using pcAnywhere.

• They keyboard is some non-standard keyboard, like a gamers keyboard with an LCD screen, or a wireless keyboard, and it is a long way away from the computer.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #38 on Thu 17 Dec 2009 07:58 PM (UTC)
I use Vista Home Premium myself and don't experience a delay... so I'm not sure it's specific to a single OS. I also have a G11 (pretty much a gamer's keyboard, just missing the LCD from the G14), though admittedly I don't really use its macro keys.

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #39 on Fri 06 Jul 2012 12:11 AM (UTC)
This thing still exists. I was helping someone switch to MUSHclient, but because MUSHclient gave 4 second delays and other clients didn't, she gave up on it. (Same computer, same MUSH and login data...)

I don't blame her, and after suffering through it with me for two hours I can't ask her to go through a bugtesting session. :/ Regardless, I felt it was necessary to point out it still lurks somewhere, somehow.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #40 on Fri 06 Jul 2012 07:51 AM (UTC)
Post noted, but no details given about the world, client version, operating system, MUD. What can you do?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #41 on Fri 06 Jul 2012 08:41 PM (UTC)
Newest version, I pointed her to it. OS, I don't know. Game is Firan (firan.legendary.org). Again, I can't say I experienced it, but the fact people are getting this problem means it does exist in some really weird combination of circumstances.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #42 on Sat 07 Jul 2012 12:28 AM (UTC)
I just connected to Firan under XP and the latest MUSHclient. Interaction seems instantaneous to me.

No information was given as to what, if anything, she had loaded (eg. plugins). There was a vague idea before that Python might be to blame. Who knows?

I accept that under some circumstances some people are having problems. With such little detail though it's impossible to go further. Next time:

Template:bug

Please provide a summary of your world configuration:

• Either use the scripting Immediate window (Ctrl+I) to execute: Debug ("summary")

or

• Install the Summary plugin (see "Summary" feature) and type "summary"

Then copy the resulting information from the output window, and paste into a Forum message.

You need version 4.55 onwards of MUSHclient to do this.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #43 on Sat 07 Jul 2012 01:10 AM (UTC)
Yeah I know you can't do anything with it. It was a straight fresh first-time install, no plugins or anything involved. No Python either, obviously. :-) My posting was intended to hopefully point out it isn't plugin-specific and help point out it isn't an old issue that has no relevance anymore.

Maybe someone else will see it, realize they have it, and stuff can pick up from there. Who knows. :)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

104,067 views.

This is page 3, subject is 3 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2  3 

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]