[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  MXP and Pueblo
. . -> [Subject]  documentation on MXP afk and MXP recommend_option

documentation on MXP afk and MXP recommend_option

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Xtian   (53 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 11 Nov 2009 07:23 AM (UTC)

Is there a source for the exact syntax your MXP <afk> and <recommend_option> extensions expect? I could only find some hints in the changelogs.

I'd be insterested in the following - and I think it might be useful for others to:

1.) What syntax does MXP <recommend_option> exactly expect? ("option1 option2 ... " or "option1=on ... " ?).
What defaults would these options otherwise have?

2.) What syntax does MXP <afk> expect - in the shortform and with the challenge-keyword.
What where your intentions for it? (because exchanging MXP <afk> responses cancels the idle state on the connection, doesn't it?)
Why did you implement the additional challenge word?

Did you add other MXP extensions, that I missed?

Thanks
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 11 Nov 2009 10:48 PM (UTC)
(because exchanging MXP <afk> responses cancels the idle state on the connection, doesn't it?)

Presumably, server-side support for this would treat these messages as not changing idle status of the connection as far as the MUD is concerned.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 01:58 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 12 Nov 2009 02:01 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Server sends: <afk>

or: <afk challenge=goatsblood>

Client replies:   <AFK 75 >

or (if a challenge given): <AFK 4 goatsblood>

The AFK figure is the number of seconds since user input (ie. a command typed). The AFK response would cancel TCP idle-time, yes.

The challenge was intended to make it harder for a client to simply spit out AFK replies periodically. The idea was that the server would send out a random challenge, and that challenge had to be incorporated in the response.

As for <recommend_option> the release notes explain it fairly well:

Implemented MXP tag <recommend_option> that lets a server recommend that a client option be set. This has to be enabled on the MXP/Pueblo configuration page.

The options that the server may set are currently: mud_can_change_link_colour, mud_can_remove_underlines, underline_hyperlinks and use_custom_link_colour.

eg. <recommend_option use_custom_link_colour=0>

This is basically to let the server recommend that the client turns on, or off, one of those four options.

In MUSHclient, you have to have enabled the option "MUD can change some options", and if you have that checked, then the recommendation is acted on.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Thu 12 Nov 2009 02:08 AM (UTC)

1.) What syntax does MXP <recommend_option> exactly expect? ("option1 option2 ... " or "option1=on ... " ?).
What defaults would these options otherwise have?

option=value (where 0=off and 1=on).

The defaults are whatever they had the client configured to be.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Xtian   (53 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 20 Nov 2009 06:02 PM (UTC)

Nick Gammon said:

The afk tag works like this:

The challenge was intended to make it harder for a client to simply spit out AFK replies periodically. The idea was that the server would send out a random challenge, and that challenge had to be incorporated in the response.

I am curious, did this work as intended? ;)
Did this become necessary because the <afk> it was misused by players?

Nick Gammon said:

As for <recommend_option> ...

I will just add for completeness sake: On my installation this means that the options are by default:

user custom link colour is ON
mud can change link colour is ON
underline hyperlinks is ON
mud can remove underline is OFF
mud can change some options is ON
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 20 Nov 2009 07:35 PM (UTC)

I am curious, did this work as intended? ;)
Did this become necessary because the <afk> it was misused by players?

There is a thread somewhere about this. Basically we gave up on the idea because it is too easy to defeat it. The whole point is to defeat botters, right? But people who want to advance by having a bot running for hours killing mobs, or gathering resources, are going to have the motivation, and quite possibly the skill, to work around it.

For example, a simple plugin, which uses a timer, which uses the Windows PostMessage function call to put keystrokes into the Windows message queue. I could probably write such a thing in 15 minutes. Then, it could periodically do a "look" or "sigh" or something, and MUSHclient would think they had actually typed that, and clear the AFK flag.

Or there was the Logitech G15 gamers keyboard.

Template:post=6656 Please see the forum thread: http://gammon.com.au/forum/?id=6656.

I think that could be programmed to do things in a loop, with a delay. So you plug that into a spare USB port, configure it to send some harmless command every 10 minutes, and hey presto! AFK flag cleared.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,415 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]