[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Development
. . -> [Subject]  Compiling mushclient from source.

Compiling mushclient from source.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  3  4  

Posted by Robert Powell   Australia  (367 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 21 Jul 2009 10:45 AM (UTC)
What requirements does mushclient to compile from source. I have visual studio 6, does it require anything other than that?

Just a guy having a bit of fun. Nothing more, nothing less, I do not need I WIN to feel validated.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 22 Jul 2009 03:41 AM (UTC)
I use Visual Studio 6 with their service pack supplied, from memory.

You may possible need to grab lua.h and a couple of files from the Lua distribution.

How about trying, and if you have any problems, report what they are?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 24 Jul 2009 11:45 PM (UTC)
What was the workspace made with, because i cannot open it with visual studio 6 sp6?

Just a guy having a bit of fun. Nothing more, nothing less, I do not need I WIN to feel validated.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 (UTC)

Amended on Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:01 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Are you talking about the file MUSHclient.dsw? I open that with Visual Studio 6. It's not exactly lengthy:

Microsoft Developer Studio Workspace File, Format Version 6.00
# WARNING: DO NOT EDIT OR DELETE THIS WORKSPACE FILE!

###############################################################################

Project: "MUSHclient"=.\MUSHclient.dsp - Package Owner=<4>

Package=<5>
{{{
}}}

Package=<4>
{{{
}}}

Global:

Package=<5>
{{{
}}}

Package=<3>
{{{
}}}

Do you get an error message, and if so what is it?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:09 AM (UTC)
Sorry for not being clear, i cannot seem to open the project file within developer studio, it complains about it not being made with it, specifically when i open the project file it says: This makefile was not created in developer studio, and then it tries to make a new project, opening the workspace does not seem to do anything either, im not sure if this is a vista problem or end user error or i have something missing that's needed.

Thanks Nick

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:19 AM (UTC)
Are you using Visual Studio to open the file MUSHclient.dsw using the File menu -> Open Workspace? And if you open that file with another editor (eg. Crimson Editor) does it look like what I pasted below?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:24 AM (UTC)
I am specifically using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 12:25 AM (UTC)
Yeah, using File -> Open Workspace and nothing happens, opening the .dsw in another editor, it looks identical to the one you have posted above.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 01:46 AM (UTC)
Well to test this all out I installed Visual Studio 6 from my 1999 CDROM, onto a PC running Vista Home edition. This PC has never had Visual Studio on it, nor been used to compile MUSHclient.

The first thing to say is, that even without patching Visual Studio from what was on the CD, once installed, and once I unzipped mushclient_4.40_src.tgz with WinZip and opened the mushclient.dsw file, it opened up OK in Visual Studio, showing all the files etc. that are in the project.

However I am hitting a number of issues that stop a successful compile - these tend to happen as new files are added to the project but are not added into the CVS repository. Thus they are not extracted when I make a source distribution.

I am documenting these right now, and will post again soon. However my point is you should be able to get the project open.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 02:04 AM (UTC)
OK, what I needed to do to compile and run was the following:

• Install Visual Studio 6.0 from CD

• Download http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/src/mushclient_4.40_src.tgz

• Unzip that file with WinZip - I placed it into a directory I made called "source" in my "Documents" folder under Vista (in other words, the source should end up in a directory "mushclient" under the "source" directory. The archive mushclient_4.40_src.tgz already has that directory in it, so you don't need to create another one.

• Download http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/src/zlib.zip

• Make another directory inside the "source" directory mentioned above, called "zlib"

• Unzip the file zlib.zip into the zlib directory (the archive zlib.zip does *not* have a zlib directory in it, you must create that yourself)

• Download http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/src/mushclient4.40_src_extras.zip and open it with WinZip. Then drag files out of it as per below:

• The file mushclient4.40_src_extras.zip has some files missing from the mushclient_4.40_src.tgz archive - namely:

• cursor1.cur file
    • sqlite3.h file
    • sqlite3.c file
    • lua5.1.lib file

The file cursor1.cur should be placed in the "res" subdirectory of the mushclient source directory. The others should be placed directly into the mushclient source directory.

• You should now be able to compile it successfully.

• In order to *run* it you need a couple of other files which are part of the normal MUSHclient distribution.

• First, grab a copy of lua5.1.dll from your normal MUSHclient installation. Put that into the same directory as where mushclient.exe ended up (that will be WinRel or WinDebug under the mushclient source).

• Second, grab a copy of the "locale" directory (and everything in it), and put that in the same place, otherwise it won't find its resources.

• Now you should be able to test.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 03:05 AM (UTC)
I still cannot get the workspace in 4.40 to open, nor in 4.37 and 4.20, however, 4.19 i can get to open no problems, it would seem that the pkzip versions of the source are all working fine but the gnuzip ones are doing something funky that VS does not like?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 04:09 AM (UTC)
It is probably line-endings. Try grabbing WinZip - after all, that worked for me.

Failing that, I had some utilities that fix up line endings. Try running unix2dos on the .dsw file at least, and possibly also the .cpp and .h files.

http://www.gammon.com.au/downloads/dlutilities.htm

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Sat 25 Jul 2009 04:38 AM (UTC)
Yeah, that's exactly what the problem was, for some reason the files all had unix line ends, i dont think i have ever had that trouble before, i was using winrar, which has never given be a problem with these things.

Thanks for all the help Nick, i now have something to amuse myself with on the train to the city each morning.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Sun 26 Jul 2009 05:04 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 26 Jul 2009 05:07 AM (UTC) by Twisol

This is somewhat related to the main topic, so I don't really want to make a new thread, and it's a pretty simple question.... Can I ask why you use Visual Studio 6? From what I hear, it's very outdated and not standards-conforming. I use VS 2005 at the least, and I'd love to start messing with and compiling the source, but (a) VS2005 can't convert the workspace file to the newer version, and (b) I'm not fond of moving backwards, especially when it apparently doesn't conform to the standard.

If I could get past that initial hurdle, I wouldn't mind trying to help move the codebase forward, either.

EDIT: Well, I realize why you use VS6 - when MUSH was begun that's probably what was in use, right? Then I'd ask why you still use it, but then I realize it probably looks like an incredible time sink to move all of your code forward (considering the lack of standards compatability too). But the rest of the post stands. =/

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Sun 26 Jul 2009 05:45 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 26 Jul 2009 05:55 AM (UTC) by Worstje

I'm not really much of a C programmer, but I'm pretty sure I can answer that question since I came across that dilemma on a forum somewhere at some point.

MSVC 6 has a bigger amount of backwards compatibility. The specific file would be msvcrt.dll I believe. It's come standard with every version of Windows, even as far back as 95 I think, and it simply works. VC2005 and higher have new versions which need to be installed seperately on systems, and I think they might not even work on older systems. In the end, the newer development environments and compilers have different requirements which clash with the backwards compatability issue - many people still use those older OSes.

(Also, why take a new version if the old one still works fine? :D)

Edit: come to think of it, it is probably another file used in linking. I just realized CRT is in that filename, which doesn't apply to MUSHclient since it isn't a CRT application.

Edit 2: This link has the story I was thinking of, and reading it explains the C++ exception handling stuff that applies to non-CRT apps as well. I guess I was right-ish after all. http://kobyk.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/dynamically-linking-with-msvcrtdll-using-visual-c-2005/
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

137,745 views.

This is page 1, subject is 4 pages long: 1 2  3  4  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]