[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  PennMUSH
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Cannot start as a service on Windows 2000

Cannot start as a service on Windows 2000

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Misfit815   USA  (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 23 Oct 2007 01:29 PM (UTC)
I'm running the precompiled 1.8.3 patch 0 on Windows 2000 Server (with all the latest updates).

"pennmush.exe /run" executes fine, however "pennmush.exe /start" fails to start the service properly. Or, to be more accurate, the service starts and then stops. I've installed it, uninstalled it, had a look at the Registry to see that paths were correct, etc. The System Event Log has the following:

"The PennMUSH for Win32 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action."

This is Event ID 7031, with the Service Control Manager listed as the source.

Any guesses, folks?

Thanks.

J
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 23 Oct 2007 09:48 PM (UTC)
Does the current user have the rights to start a service?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 24 Oct 2007 01:02 AM (UTC)
Current user's a member of the Administrators group.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 24 Oct 2007 05:51 AM (UTC)
That doesn't necessarily mean you can start services. Each group has actions which it can or cannot do. You need to check in the Users and Groups tool, I forget its exact name.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 08 Feb 2008 01:16 PM (UTC)
I'm coming back to take a second stab at solving this problem.

I'm a member of the Administrators group and no other. I haven't jacked with the default policy settings for Administrators. If I don't have the rights to do it, no one does.

I've tinkered with PennMUSH in the past, and it's reasonable to assume that I've had one or more previous versions installed on this box. Is it possible that there's a relic left over somewhere?

I've uninstalled it as a service, wiped out anything relevant in the registry, and installed again with no change. Could I have missed cleaning something?

And, btw, "anything relevant" ended up being...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PENNMUSH

...which I had to use regedt32 to delete because of its security settings.

J
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 08 Feb 2008 02:26 PM (UTC)
For what it's worth, pennmush_run.exe stays running after I've closed the shell window in which I executed "pennmush /run". I've obviously rebooted the computer before attempting to run it as a service (and so the two issues don't directly conflict) but I wonder if they are related.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 08 Feb 2008 02:41 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure when this started happening (I've obviously been screwing with it for a while now), but the service's behavior goes something like this:

- The service starts, spawns pennmush_run.exe, and then terminates.
- Subsequent calls to "pennmush /status" claim that the service is not running, as does the Services MMC Snap-In.
- Yet pennmush_run.exe continues to run (visible in Task Manager) and, sure enough, I can connect.

Of course, the only way I can shut it down is to kill the process (or reboot), so it's not a nice solution. But it's working.

Is this how it's supposed to work?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 08 Feb 2008 07:55 PM (UTC)
No, it is supposed to be controllable from the command line.

Have you checked the service in the Services Manager in the Control Panel? Maybe that will shed some light.

A simple way of closing down would be to shutdown the MUSH internally wouldn't it? (or does it restart itself) - ie. type the shutdown command from within your client.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,183 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]