[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Frames to world window

Frames to world window

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  3  

Posted by Drow   (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 05 Aug 2007 05:52 PM (UTC)
I'm listening to this broken record about notepad and colors etc for a day now here on the forums, and I was wondering if the following could be implemented?

Instead of not being able to dock the notepad to the world window, nor being able to change the color of specific words or lines, I suggest implementing frames to world windows, so that it would be possible to split your world window and have an area beside it that would accept any input via scripts.

The second one could be limited so that it can't be typed on directly, it can't be switched to either (this in fact is a feature which i like, since switching to the notepad windows constantly is irritating, and yes there was an alias to this, but come on ;)). As it's a frame it would follow your window where ever you move it, and if I'm guessing right, it wouldn't be a notepad window, it could be made to accept any kind of coloring.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 05 Aug 2007 06:51 PM (UTC)
Window->New Window doesn't work? Something like this:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Dekotis/MudClientFinished.jpg

You can already do. Not sure if that's what you want though.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sun 05 Aug 2007 07:19 PM (UTC)
Not exactly. Did a 5 minute picture manipulation to explain myself further. Now with the side panel there being another window, those green statuses could all be in different colors, but most of all. they would follow my window around not being a notepad.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb139/tsarajar/mushclient_w_frames.jpg
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 05 Aug 2007 10:23 PM (UTC)
A 3-way split is an interesting idea, and might be achievable without too much hassle. I had most of the code already written to write to coloured windows but was having problems with when they got created/destroyed. Your idea of a split would solve that issue.

I am hampered a bit by what the MFC libraries offer. I *think* they offer the second split, in which case it should be fairly easy. If not, it is a major hassle.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Mon 06 Aug 2007 03:14 AM (UTC)
There is a bit of a problem splitting on the right like in your example, because the splitting stuff insists on a "balanced" split, like this:

Example 1

What can be done fairly easily is a split at the top, like this:

Example 2

Now if I did this we could have full colour drawing to the top pane (extra text), with the others behaving as normal. That would be OK, woudn't it? You could put status stuff there, or chats, or whatever.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Mon 06 Aug 2007 03:34 AM (UTC)
The second option looks a lot better to me. The fourth pane wouldn't be particularly useful if you can't adjust the size without adjusting the command window to match. I can still think of plenty of uses for that extra little window though.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Mon 06 Aug 2007 03:56 AM (UTC)
In my experience in using the frames in VB, you CAN have the panes be unbalanced, in 2 methods, TRICKING the 4the pane to use a 1 as the height or in other words making the 4th pane use the remainder of the height of these panes (1+2)-3. OR you COULD make pane 3 overlap pane 4 by setting the height of pane 3 to be the height of pane 1 + 2.

There is another option and that is make the split NOT encompass the input area, but be split IN the upper section of the already existent split. That would be a split in a split, but that might be the easiest way to accomplish this. The only foreseeable issue that would occur is the window sizing based upon number of characters, as it would not typically include the NEW split section.

I think the upper and lower method WOULD work, but be a little more difficult to discern from actual mud text, as it would be "inline" with the rest, IF possible the side split would IMO be much better in terms of being visually pleasing, and then again the option to choose which method would be even better :)

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 06 Aug 2007 07:33 AM (UTC)
Yes, I gather I could make the left-hand side one view of 2 panes, and the right-hand side a second view with one pane. It is all getting a bit complicated, and I think the top pane could work OK. You can always have a different colour scheme (eg. white background).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 15 Aug 2007 03:21 PM (UTC)
Did you decide on whether or not to implement this?

Also...an attachable info bar below the world window instead of bottom of the main window wouldn't be such a bad idea. As an option.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Thu 16 Aug 2007 06:23 AM (UTC)
Well I was waiting to see how much enthusiasm there was for it. Ten days elapsed without any comment, after I said it was possible. This sort of thing takes quite a bit of work - there is the code needed to actually put the text in the third window, resizing it, having an option to see it or not, handling clicking in it, and so on.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Thu 16 Aug 2007 08:42 AM (UTC)
I still like the idea, however long it takes. The windowing will be worth the wait if you have other projects to work on that take priority.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Isthiriel   (113 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Thu 16 Aug 2007 11:07 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Thu 16 Aug 2007 02:32 PM (UTC)
I of course would like to see it implemented and a couple of friends of mine that i develop scripts for ( As I ask for opinions on how I should proceed with my plug-ins ).

I think it basically comes down to how many do actually develop "complex" scripts, and how many of those actually take part in this forum, against those that only know how to make a simple trigger and don't even want to learn more complex scripting, which of many might want to see this kind of features as long as they just downloaded them in a readily made script. What a sentence ;) But what I mean is... the more complex and specific features we request, the smaller is the audience. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tsunami   USA  (204 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Thu 16 Aug 2007 04:49 PM (UTC)
I'll add in my two cents, I'd support this idea; I like it a lot.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Thu 16 Aug 2007 06:26 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 16 Aug 2007 06:28 PM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

Well Nick, I am more enthusiastic about the side one, If for no other reason than that its might be useful for displaying static stuff, not chat, or other things that need to be the same "width" as the mud text. The only real limitation I can see with the resulting mini window in the corner is... There isn't much you could do with it, and some of the things one might use it for (like spell icons, etc.) won't work, since there is no support for icons/images in said windows at this point. But, even the top split is interesting. Now the obvious solution to allowing "either", without the mini box would be to change the nesting level of the windows. I.e., make the split a subwindow of the existing world window, so your not splitting the input window, just the MDI that is hosted above it.

That however would mean more code changes, since notes, etc. would be now directed to something like 'main->world->output_frame->output', 'main->world->input' and 'main->world->output_frame->split', instead of 'main->world->output' and 'main->world->input'. If you get what I mean. Still, any way you plan to do with it, it would provide an interesting feature. It might even help the idea of a tutorial, since the script could do something like:

Top = 1
SetSplit 50, Top 'Obviously, if you allow a choice as to where the split happens,
                 'it might also be nice to specify if it is above or "below" the
'                'world, or on the right/left. And even if it only splits one way,
                 'this would still be useful.

SendToSplit "Hi! And welcome to the tutorial!"

and so on, then open/close it as needed when the "helper" wants to say something, without messing with the simulated game much.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

98,408 views.

This is page 1, subject is 3 pages long: 1 2  3  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]