[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Wine
. . -> [Subject]  Notepad in wine

Notepad in wine

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 23 Jul 2007 04:38 PM (UTC)
I'm having the hardest time getting the internal notepad working in MUSHclient. I had it running fine for a bit a few days ago, but normally, all that trying to open up the notepad window does is crash I'm currently running wine 0.9.41 and MUSHclient 4.14.

If anyone else has had this problem and has managed to figure out how to keep notepad stable, please let me know.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 23 Jul 2007 09:39 PM (UTC)
I tried version 4.14 with Wine (20040408) and the Notepad worked without crashing.

Do you mean it crashed since you updated to 4.14, or it worked with a certain version for a while, and then crashed, or what?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 23 Jul 2007 10:44 PM (UTC)
I always had MC crash when I opened up notepad when running it in wine. Every time I've had it on an actual Windows install, it runs pretty much flawlessly and is more stable than pretty much anything else that I run regularly.

Currently, I'm using the standard source from www.winehq.org, same as I had done when I used Ubuntu. For a while I was using the Gentoo sources, since I'm running that distro now, but I still had no luck. The only combination that I found was stable for one run was wine 0.9.41 and mc 4.12. I managed to be able to run mc with the notepad just fine for one day, which is how I found the bug in the ReplaceNotepad function. After that day though, mc crashed out every time I've opened up the notepad. I've tried it both with and without the /wine settings, and it's been the same... something is crashing wine.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about tracking this error, especially if I'm the only one who is being plagued by it. I can gather any information that is needed to help track this down, and I've started asking a few people who I know on the wine mailing list, but I haven't gotten any help so far. All I know is that something is causing an Unhandled page fault on read access. And this is the same exact error thrown with every version I've tried, from standard source, to Ubuntu sources, to Gentoo sources.

On a possibly related note, whenever I try to use ActivateNotepad, I always get false returned, and the window won't open. Is there any way I can catch that error to see why it won't open?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 25 Jul 2007 05:06 AM (UTC)
Try installing version 4.15, and changing the fixed-pitch font in the Registry (see the release notes). Maybe it is a font issue.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 25 Jul 2007 08:28 AM (UTC)
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Wine crashed out when I tried to open the notepad file. Still nothing useful back from wine about why I'm getting this problem under so many different distros, especially when no one else seems to be having this issue. Somewhat fortunately, this is easily recreatable, so I have been able to send a few dumps off to people.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 25 Jul 2007 10:56 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 25 Jul 2007 11:28 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I have just tried running under Knoppix 5.0.1 (booting straight from the CDROM), which comes with Wine 0.9.12 preinstalled.

MUSHclient works fine there, including the notepad, even without the /wine option. See screenshot below.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 25 Jul 2007 11:26 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 25 Jul 2007 11:27 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Thu 26 Jul 2007 01:52 AM (UTC)
i understand that it works for you... that doesn't help unless I know the difference between my install and yours. As I said though, I can't find a reason for the notepad to not work.

Out of curiosity, what processor type do you have? I've seen a few posts on newsgroups about this error coming up for AMD64 chips (which I'm running), but it's only been for issues with 3d games.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Thu 26 Jul 2007 02:51 AM (UTC)

What I was trying to show was that if you boot Knoppix off a CDROM, then that gives you a baseline. It should be the same install, same Wine and everything, as I have. If it is a CPU issue then that might prove it, although you said it worked for a while.

When it crashes do you get a backtrace in the shell window? That might show the general area where the problem is.

I have a feeling it is a resource issue - like it is trying to load a resource (menu, or something), it gets a null pointer, but presses ahead anyway. Maybe, the region code, for example.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 01 Aug 2007 08:14 PM (UTC)
Well, I figured out a way to kind of fix the problem here... I set the Windows version to 98, and it seems to work ok with the notepad. However, now I'm sometimes getting an error from the spellchecker when I open up MUSHclient. Unfortunately, this error doesn't consistently come up, and I forgot to copy down the line number and file last time it did.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Amy   Australia  (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Fri 28 Nov 2008 09:55 AM (UTC)
Thanks heaps for posting your fix Shaun, I was having exactly the same problem. MUSH 4.15 with wine-1.0, and Ubunty Hardy (wubi version).

Any scripting works -except- for notepad functions (AppendToNotepad, etc).

Fix (for me): winecfg -> set mushclient.exe's "Windows Version" to Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME. Anothing above that will make mush crash.

I don't understand any of this, but here's the first few lines of the traceback I get (maybe it's meaningful to someone?):

=>1 0xb7da1283 strlen+0x33() in libc.so.6 (0x0032f238)
2 0x7eda9dbe in user32 (+0x49dbe) (0x0032f2e8)
3 0x7edac632 EditWndProcA+0x22() in user32 (0x0032f2f8)
4 0x7ee065ba WINPROC_wrapper+0x1a() in user32 (0x0032f328)
5 0x7ee06c9e WINPROC_wrapper+0x6fe() in user32 (0x0032f368)
6 0x7ee0aaf2 CallWindowProcA+0x52() in user32 (0x0032f3a8)
7 0x005329d9 in mushclient (+0x1329d9) (0x0032f3c8)
24 0x10003fb5 in lua5.1 (+0x3fb5) (0x0032fa94)

Since it only seems to happen for some people, could it be that I'm missing a library?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Fri 28 Nov 2008 08:26 PM (UTC)
It isn't your fault - something the notepad does isn't compatible with XP - however it runs under "normal" XP and Vista, just not Wine's version.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

32,091 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]