[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Room Description Layout Issues

Room Description Layout Issues

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Gothalyptic   (18 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 06 Feb 2007 12:44 AM (UTC)
Ok, here's the issue. I have searched many different keywords and didn't see my issue brought up before.

I have a few rooms laid out, no issue. Exits linked, again no issue. I do redit desc and pull up the editor, no problem. I type a few lines in (im in playing mode right now, so I can learn before going completely live aside of friends and others.). I then /s on a new line to save.

This is where the problems start. When I do look (or even l) here is what the description looks like:

Room Name Here
description line one with a few words.
Description line two with a few more words.
Description line three with a few more words again.
Few more lines. You get the point.
EXITS: North, South

It's not centered. It seems each time I hit enter it does a new line (no issue) but it won't align all the lines I put in to the left like the stock zones currently are descripted.

What am I doing wrong? I tried to fill up each line with about 70-75 characters before hitting enter. It still does the same thing. it does it on my MOTD's as well. I have tried to /s after each line and reedit as if to add a line, but it still does the same. I'm confussed. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 12:53 AM (UTC)
What you're seeing is the expected behavior, although it might not be the desired behavior. The editing code doesn't reformat what you entered; it just stores it exactly as is.

By the way, did you mean "justified", "line-wrapped" or really "centered"?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 12:59 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 06 Feb 2007 04:28 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I mean like all the other stock smaugfuss rooms are. You know like this:

Room Name Here
blah blah blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah. more blah and even more blah
yep a few more blahs here.

EXITS: North, East

Instead what I get when I do a look is this:

Room Name Here
blah blah blah blah blah.                                   
                         Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.                                                  
           blah blah blah.                                 

EXITS: North, West

In the redit edit screen, when I hit enter to advance down a line (to avoid the mud from cutting the sentence off) it puts it on a new line at the end of the first line instead of right below the first line. Unfortunately I'm on a friends winblowz machine tonight so the command prompt telnet won't let me cut and paste verbatim, and the posts get edited to show correctly on this forum.

Edited by Nick Gammon to insert the [code] tag.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 01:02 AM (UTC)

Uhm... basically each start of the new line is one line down and at the END of the previous line. If that makes sense.

Ignore the dots, lets see if I can portray this right.

Room Name Here

blah blah blah blah this is line one description....... .................................................This would start line two description. ...........................Thiswould start line three description. .............................................. ............This would be line four description. ............ ................................................EXITS: North, West

Hopefully that works. Ignore the dots tho.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 01:03 AM (UTC)
Nope forum not formatting it right. Line one formats fine, Line two starts on line two but at the END of line one so there's a big huge space before line two's sentence and so on.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 01:28 AM (UTC)
Use the code tag to show us what you mean.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Conner   USA  (381 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 02:30 AM (UTC)
This was recently discussed at The FUSS Project (http://www.fussproject.org/index.php?a=topic&t=1098) basically the problem is with copy_buffer and it only impacts certain clients, like the telnet that comes with windows or putty.

-=Conner=-
--
Come test your mettle in the Land of Legends at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 04:28 AM (UTC)

Nope forum not formatting it right.

The forum does not show "as is" formatting unless you use the [code] tag. Click on "What are forum codes?" when you edit a post, for a list.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 08:34 PM (UTC)

Appreciated.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Conner   USA  (381 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Tue 06 Feb 2007 09:21 PM (UTC)
Always glad to be able to help instead of just needing help. :)

-=Conner=-
--
Come test your mettle in the Land of Legends at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Wed 07 Feb 2007 12:20 PM (UTC)
The problem, and it's a known issue with "raw" telnet clients, is that telnet is interpretting the exact codes sent by the mud. In this case it's being sent "new line" which any actual mu* client will, based on proper standards, interpret as "new line, carriage return". Without the code for carriage return all a raw telnet client will do is move the text down a line and start printing where the previous line ended. The issue is actually in the telnet implementation and isn't really something that can be readily fixed server side.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #11 on Wed 07 Feb 2007 07:17 PM (UTC)

The issue is actually in the telnet implementation and isn't really something that can be readily fixed server side.

Conceivably the "low level" output routines could check for linefeeds that are not preceded by a carriage-return, and insert one.

Most serious MUD players will use a proper MUD client, in which case the problem goes away.

However there is potentially a possibility that poorly-formatted MUD output would put off someone who was "putting a toe in the water", so they would lose interest, and never get to the stage of getting themselves a good client.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Wed 07 Feb 2007 08:48 PM (UTC)
That's one option but you will be doublespacing everything sent to an actual mu* client unless I'm forgetting a way to determine "raw" telnet clients. You could I suppose add a dummy check to the negotiation phase of connecting but this may well be more trouble than it's worth to fix given the very small number of people willing to use windows telnet for anything they don't absolutely have to.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Wed 07 Feb 2007 09:04 PM (UTC)
Why would this double-space everything? If you make sure that you never have \n on its own, and always pair it with a \r, you should be fine (unless clients are breaking lines with \r as well, but I don't think they do).

Of course, you have to be careful with people using the sequence in the wrong order; you'd have to realize that \n\r and \r\n are "basically" the same, and you don't need another \r in front. (Although it shouldn't do any harm, except perhaps to a Mac.)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Wed 07 Feb 2007 09:15 PM (UTC)
Nick will have to correct me if I'm wrong about how clients that interpret /n as /n/r work. If the client is reading /n to include /r adding an actual /r would in fact double space everything sent to that client since both the mud and the client are applying /r to the same /n.

The fact that MS can't manage to properly apply a protocol standard isn't something that should inconvenience the rest of the world, despite the fact that it regularly does so.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

46,569 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]