[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Oops, is that mud on your phone?

Oops, is that mud on your phone?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Fletchling   Australia  (54 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 03 Jan 2007 05:58 AM (UTC)
If anyone is interested, I've managed a workaround to get my favourite mud to work on my Windows Mobile5 phone, if I knew how to post a screen shot I'd show you.

Fletchling (aka Cuddlepie)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Derkew19   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 24 May 2007 05:49 PM (UTC)
I am very much interested. I've just gotten a new PDA phone and am dying to have a way to connect to my MU*s with it. Did you have to chane a bunch of code to get it to work?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 24 May 2007 06:47 PM (UTC)
I've been using pssh to connect to my computer, where I have a screen session running with mudix. Having MUSHclient running off of my Treo would be nice.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 25 May 2007 02:31 AM (UTC)
Well, you could completely re-write Mushclient in Lua, then install Plua on your Treo and try to see if you can get it to work there. Though, some tweaks are likely necessary and you might have to install UDMH, unless you already have it. Though, I am not sure if Plua lets you try to allocate large amounts of memory, so the UDMH memory manager would do you any good anyway. But heh.. At least you have support of the 4GB> SD cards in that one, unlike my TX. But again, I am not sure if Plua can run from an SD card... Hmm. Got to think about this one. ;) lol
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 25 May 2007 02:51 AM (UTC)
I like how you make out tweaks and memory to be the worst of your problems, in juxtaposition with rewriting all of MUSHclient in Lua... :-)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Fri 25 May 2007 09:19 AM (UTC)
Two things wrong with the plua bit from a hardware perspective. 1) plua is a bit buggy when run interpreting off of an SD card (no idea about compiled). 2) Although my treo can read/write to a 4GB card, it only recognizes the first 2GB. Unless I missed a firmware update somewhere in there.

As for rewriting MUSHclient in Lua... go for it. I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole. Plua itself does not have anywhere near the capability needed to create a client that does even a twentieth of what MUSHclient does, since it's a dumbed down version of lua. At least with the os functions and anything dealing with display and such. It has to be by design in order to run well on a palm device. plua < lua. I'm having a hard enough time writing a dice roller for my D&D character. Rolling dice isn't the problem, it's try to figure out how to fit stuff on the screen since the window management has left much to be desired.

Also, rewriting MUSHclient in any language, or even trying to convert out of MFC is a painful enough process you might as well just start from scratch.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 26 May 2007 02:05 AM (UTC)
You missed an update. The Treo and newer phones have fat32 drivers, or some such, available for them, so that they can access larger SD cards. They don't have a version of the driver for that out for the TX though. There is one company that makes some sort of alternate 4GB card though, which will work even without the driver, but 4GB is in that case the "limit".

And yeah, I suspected Plua would have some issues with running from the SD card, even if you could convince the system to store your data there, which you can't since Plua also doesn't support that well. Hopefully they will fix those things eventually. Sadly, its still probably the closest you are going to manage. They just don't make a lot of telnet clients, and zero game clients, for hand helds.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

21,741 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]