[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Disconnecting

Disconnecting

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Pheonix3491   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 24 Jan 2005 11:04 PM (UTC)
Every time I don't type anything for longer than a minute, I get disconnected from whatever MUD I'm playing. This is VERY bad for me because I usually do many things at once that take longer than a minute. Also, I'm often staring at the screen for minutes at a time waiting for someone to say something. Is there a way to fix this problem?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tsunami   USA  (204 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 24 Jan 2005 11:42 PM (UTC)
Some MUD's allow you to set how long you may be inactive before you time out. Have you investigated this? If this is not possible there are two main solutions.

If the MUD sends a pre-timeout message, ie. 'You will time out in 30 seconds.', you could create a trigger for this to send some command like LOOK.

If there is no such line, then you may create a timer to send a command like LOOK every minute, which wouldn't be hard.

Hope that helps
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 24 Jan 2005 11:56 PM (UTC)
WOW! That helps alot! I didn't know what timers were, but now I do!! I set it so that every minute, it sends "look". Thanks!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 26 Jan 2005 01:16 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 26 Jan 2005 01:17 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

More likely to be your router. I would be surprised if a MUD disconnected you after a minute, that would be crazy.

And, it's not a MUSHclient bug either. I doubt you would have many enthusiastic MUSHclient users if it forced you to type something every minute.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Myss_ellie   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 26 Jan 2005 10:28 AM (UTC)
I recently had a router connected to my home network. I now find that I too have my worlds disconnect if I do not input for more than a minute. Problem being, am still trying to find the solution.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Wed 26 Jan 2005 10:39 AM (UTC)
Have you tried the router's internal configuration about idle connection timeout?

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Fri 28 Jan 2005 11:01 PM (UTC)
The router probably is configured to drop a connection if it does nothing for a minute. This would be OK for downloading a web page, but not for playing a MUD.

Try connecting to the router and looking for some sort of timeout interval. If that fails, you will have to do what the others do and send some harmless command every minute. Even a newline should probably be enough.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Myss_ellie   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Sat 29 Jan 2005 10:45 AM (UTC)
Thank you for your suggestions. Will be looking into that.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sat 29 Jan 2005 12:58 PM (UTC)
Well, the problem is... I dont HAVE a router. I'm not using it, anyway. And my friend has MUSHclient, and his also disconnects after a minute if he doesnt put a timer on. So obviously, it's not just me.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sat 29 Jan 2005 06:23 PM (UTC)
Note: Windows also has a setting, if you are on dialup, which defaults to disconnecting if the connecting is idle for some time. I had to turn that off on mine, since Windows seems to think that the only 'valid' non-idle activity is web browsing. Apparently telnet or even downloading (where most data is coming in, not going out), doesn't generate enough outgoing data to keep the connection live. I know the problem exists in 9x systems and I have no idea if it was ever fixed in later ones. It might be what is causing the problem.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Faux   United Kingdom  (77 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Sun 06 Feb 2005 11:50 PM (UTC)
I was having this problem (on a large scale network, so there's a router involved), but at the 10/15 minute ish mark.

It was solved by telling the mud to send each player an IAC NOP every minute.

Dunno if this applies to you, or would even help (seeing as it doesn't generate any `up` traffic).

Faux, from Discworld. Feel free to come talk to me =)

http://faux.servebeer.com/
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Mon 04 Sep 2006 06:10 AM (UTC)
I got a new router (RCA) and now I'm having this issue too. I'm disconnected after 10 minutes of inactivity. Is anyone knows how to fix this on the router, that'd be great.

I'd rather not have to send something to the MUD every once in a while, because that won't work for everything such as my shell (PuTTY).

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 04 Sep 2006 10:16 PM (UTC)
Can you give the exact name and model number of the router?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Mon 04 Sep 2006 10:56 PM (UTC)

http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/MiniSites/BAP/Cable/ModelDetail.html?category=cab%20modems%20DOCSIS&model=DCW%20725

I've looked through the router config like 20 times and I don't see anything relating to an idle/inactivity setting.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Tue 05 Sep 2006 12:46 AM (UTC)
Can't see anything in their manual to help you.

It is obviously a bit of an ongoing problem, and probably routers are configured to drop a connection with no activity after 10 minutes, assuming that the program must have gone away.

All I can suggest is:

• Google for more information - I tried "RCA router timeout" and got quite a few pages

• Contact their customer support center, explain the problem and hope they can help you

• Maybe a small application that does some sort of heartbeat (eg. refreshes a web page every 5 minutes) would keep the connection alive, however that won't work if it times out on a per-connection basis.

• In the case of MUSHclient, have a small plugin that monitors ingoing and outgoing activity, and if nothing is done in 5 minutes, does a "look" or something.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

55,452 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]