[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Error 10065

Error 10065

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  3  4  

Posted by Mr Anonymous   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 30 Nov 2004 02:10 PM (UTC)
Alright, I just downloaded and installed version 3.55, upgrading from 3.50. As soon as I try and open a connection to any MUD, it waits for a couple of seconds then sends me an error 10065 dialog box. If I retry, same result. I tried a backup of my files: same result. Reinstaling 3.50: same result. Restarting everything: you guesssed it, same result. I've tried turning off the firewall, but it still doesn't connect. This is on Windows ME. Any suggestions?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 03:33 PM (UTC)
What have you done recently? Sounds more like a computer/ISP problem rather than MUSHclient. Have you tried using Quick Connect? Did you try turning off all firewalls, virus protectors, and so on? What OS? This only started happening after you upgraded?

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 05:24 PM (UTC)
10065 is no route to host. It's probably not a MC issue.
Theres something blocking you from connecting. But not a MC thing (if you want to test it, connect via telnet).

Could be a router, could be your ISP, youve turned off your firewall... hmm, I think if the mud is down you get a 'timed out' error, but you might want to check that anyway.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 05:32 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 30 Nov 2004 05:36 PM (UTC) by Mr Anonymous

I'm 100% sure the MUD is up. I can connect to it via normal telnet, but when I get MUSH to connect it fails. And no, Quick Connect does not work either. This only started happening once I started using 3.55, and the OS is Windows ME.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 05:40 PM (UTC)
Make sure you don't have any proxy options turned on. The only thing I know that does this is your computer/firewall is blocking outgoing connections to a certain port.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 07:17 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 20 Nov 2007 04:13 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I don't think any networking code has changed in this version, and personally I can still connect to MUDs, and I presume others would have said something if it was a major bug.

Can you try a couple of things?

• You say Telnet works, is that from exactly the same PC? And to the same MUD?

• Can you find the IP address, and use that? (eg. rather than www.smaug.org try 216.251.47.10). Looking up the name to IP address is another step in the process.

• Try version 3.50 again, see if the problem goes away.

• If you are using a firewall like ZoneAlarm, check its configuration. With ZoneAlarm you let applications through, but I think it checks it is exactly the same file (in case a virus replaces one by another of the same name). So, you may have let mushclient.exe through, but that is the *old* mushclient.exe, not the new one.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 07:33 PM (UTC)
It's exactly the same PC, and exactly the same MUD. 3.50 doesn't work, I reinstalled it and it works with neither the backup or the real file now. I turned off all firewalls, the only things running that show up on the task manager are Explorer, Systray, however many Firefox windows are open at that given moment and MUSHclient.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 08:09 PM (UTC)
I just upgraded from 3.54 to 3.55, and I have no problem. In fact, I do use ZoneAlarm and I have never had a problem like this. Nick, does reinstalling MC reset all client settings?

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 09:11 PM (UTC)
It shouldnt. If you uninstall, it will remove the registry, but installing overtop shouldnt change anything.

Unless of course youre asking about with zonealarm.
With norton, then yes, reinstalling is a new instance, and you have to allow stuff through again.

Which Ill bet is his problem, he probably, inadvertantly set something so he disallows MC to connect via whatever firewall. Although he says he turned them off, so who knows.

What else have you installed to change things? Could his winsock be bad?

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #9 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 09:16 PM (UTC)
So the problem isn't really the upgrade, as the earlier version doesn't work either.

You could try an uninstall and reinstall of MUSHclient. That will delete all registry entries that MUSHclient put there.

However I can't think of anything it puts in the registry that would stop it connecting.

I haven't used Firefox, but a quick browse of their web site seems to indicate it has some sort of filtering or blocking system. Here is a quote from them:

Quote:

Every transaction within the “TrustZone” is monitored, logged and measured enabling any issues arising to be fully auditable. All functions within the “TrustZone” cannot be changed or disabled unless a request is made to Firefox by programme owners/moderators

Did you install Firefox recently? The fact that your earlier versions of MUSHclient also do not work seems to indicate it is not a problem with MUSHclient per se, but how your system is configured.

It is possible that Firefox, or whatever the problem is, is configured to allow telnet through but not MUSHclient. Try another client. Try checking your Firefox configuration/logs.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 09:32 PM (UTC)
I don't understand what Firefox could possibly have to do with the connection, I don't think it messes with any other programs, it just minds its own business.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 09:33 PM (UTC)
Oh, that Firefox is a company, I think he means the browser.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 10:09 PM (UTC)
Oh I see. My mistake. However I stand by my statement that this not a bug in MUSHclient. After all, it happens to his earlier versions, which used to work.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Tue 30 Nov 2004 10:15 PM (UTC)
Yes, I agree with that too, it's unlikely that it's a MC bug. Try to have MC connect to a port on your machine, if it can, then it's not MC's fault. If it can't, it means that the fault is on the PC, before it reaches the network adapter.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 02:21 PM (UTC)
Ok. I purged all trace of v3.50 and 3.55 from my PC. I then install 3.56, put in one of my backup world files and...same thing. Trying to connect to localhost elicits the same response. So, what fault on my PC could be getting in the way?
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

99,787 views.

This is page 1, subject is 4 pages long: 1 2  3  4  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]