[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Blinking/italic

Blinking/italic

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 05 Sep 2004 05:19 AM (UTC)
Some MUDs support both blink and italic. And since blink is shown as italics, I can't tell the difference, for example, if someone has blinking then italic title. What can I change so I can tell a difference between them?

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 05 Sep 2004 05:48 AM (UTC)
It won't be easy, but using GetStyleInfo you can detect the presence of blink in a style run.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sun 05 Sep 2004 06:02 PM (UTC)
Or to translate Nick's response: Not at present, since the code to make something actually blink isn't exactly part of the standard text output system. And despite being a 'custom' window, Nick uses fairly standard text drawing features. There isn't a whole lot you could do to make it work, unless maybe you just forced a redraw of the entire window every so many milliseconds (half second maybe?) and had the blinking part redraw with the background color every other forced redraw. Hmm. How hard would that be and how much would it slow things down Nick? The key would be to make sure it only switches color 'when' the forced redraw happens, not every time it scrolls or redraws.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sun 05 Sep 2004 06:12 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 05 Sep 2004 06:13 PM (UTC) by Flannel

I would prefer to think of this problem as one more reason why we should be able to edit text with callbacks before it gets evaluated. (that MXP color changing thing was another)

Of course I understand the problems with that (Ansi colors, and plenty of other things). Although if someone was going to tweak things on such a low level, you'd think theyd be able to cope pretty well. Normal users arent really going to travel into this realm unless they know what theyre doing.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 05 Sep 2004 06:21 PM (UTC)
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be easy, if at all possible. The reason why I sort of need this, is because I do not allow blinking in players titles, but italics is fine. Its just I can't tell the difference.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Sun 05 Sep 2004 10:38 PM (UTC)
Then why do you ban people from using it? :P It's like IRC where people kick you out if you use color. If you don't like color, disable it in your IRC client. I hate that.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sun 05 Sep 2004 11:09 PM (UTC)
That really isn't the whole point though, heh. I'd like to see what text is italic or blinking.

I suppose I should remove the blink tags from mortals helpfiles though.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Mon 06 Sep 2004 10:24 PM (UTC)
If you just want to detect that someone is using blinking, and you don't allow it, then a "catch-all" trigger could catch every line (or for speed, the types of lines you expect), then quickly run it through a loop that uses GetStyleInfo. If the style run type is blinking, then you could do a world.note (eg. -- WARNING, the word "blah" is in blinking style).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 07 Sep 2004 01:26 AM (UTC)
Yeah, might as well just hide the color tags from mortals though. I don't have time to deal with enforcement, I'm pretty much always coding.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Tue 07 Sep 2004 01:38 AM (UTC)
Hiding the tags won't stop those that already know about them (or experiment to find them) from making use of them. Simple solution is add a lvl check for immortal to the blink tag in the code or just comment the blink functionality.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,142 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]