[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  MSP

MSP

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Vector   USA  (28 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 21 Mar 2004 08:41 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 21 Mar 2004 08:42 AM (UTC) by Vector

I installed the plugin for MSP. The msp_path is set to c:\Program Files\MUSHclient\msp, where the MSP files are located. When I use the restore command that has a sound attached to it, I get the following:

!!SOUND(action/restore.wav V=75 L=1 P=50 T=action)Ok - restore done on Vector.

Did I miss something in the instructions?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 21 Mar 2004 08:29 PM (UTC)
Looks like the trigger isn't firing, however when I installed the plugin and tried that exact line (copied from your post) it worked.

Did you actually install the plugin? Is it in the list of plugins?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 03:42 AM (UTC)

Name Purpose Author Language
msp Emulates MSP (MUD) Nick G vbscript

Could it be a problem with MUSHclient?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 03:50 AM (UTC)

What sort of problem? I copied your string:

!!SOUND(action/restore.wav V=75 L=1 P=50 T=action)Ok - restore done on Vector.

I hit Shift+Ctrl+F12 to bring up the "debug" window. I pasted that into it, and hit OK. With the MSP plugin installed I see this:

Ok - restore done on Vector.

I hear a "ding" because I don't actually have that file on disk. So as far as I am concerned, it works. Can you try those steps and report what happens?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 07:15 AM (UTC)

I pasted the string into the Debug window, and hit OK. With the MSP plugin installed, this is what I see:

!SOUND(action/restore.wav V=75 L=1 P=50 T=action)Ok - restore done on Vector.

I hear no sound. The MSP files are in C:\Program Files\MUSHclient\msp\.

The sub-directories in msp are: action, skills, weather, combat, and spells.

Do I need to turn on sounds in the client? I have turned on MSP in the mud with "msp on".

[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 08:05 AM (UTC)
If the plugin is handling other sounds properly, it may be that this is simply a file the plugin cant handle for one reason or another - bad sample rate, bad compression ratio, whatever. I had something similar with 2 sounds that just refused to play in MC though media player handled em just fine - turned out they had bad sample rates for the plugin as far as I remember. If the plugin isn't playing other sounds, Id recommend double checking your actual install path for MC vs the path in the file. I have a fairly odd file structure on my machine so I had to do a bit of fiddling with the path to get any sounds at first.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 09:54 AM (UTC)
The plugin is not handling any sounds. I used set_msp in the client to set the path for MSP sounds. The path is the following:

set msp_path c:\program files\mushclient\msp

Can you go into more detail about checking the actual install path versus the path in the file? I also hit "Reinstall" on the Plugins window to see if that would fix the issue.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 02:13 PM (UTC)

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 08:14 PM (UTC)

I pasted the string into the Debug window, and hit OK. With the MSP plugin installed, this is what I see:

!SOUND(action/restore.wav V=75 L=1 P=50 T=action)Ok - restore done on Vector.

I see only one ! here, which is a slight problem.

One possibility is that you have another trigger that matches on !(something) which gets picked up before the !! trigger for the MSP sound.

Let's stay focussed on the real problem here.

The problem is not ...

• Where your sounds are - if it can't find the sound file it plays a ding. However the !!SOUND string should still be suppressed. The fact that you see it means the trigger is not firing - that is the problem.

• Whether MSP is on at the MUD or not. The fact that you see !!SOUND on your screen shows it is.

Forget the MUD for the moment. Pasting in the string into the debug window (with both !! in it) should simulate receiving it from the MUD.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 10:09 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 23 Mar 2004 11:48 AM (UTC) by Vector

The problem was triggers were not enabled. I pasted the string into the Debug Window, and I hear a "ding". So, I set my msp_path to the location where the sound files are, and MSP is working now.

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kernighan   USA  (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Mon 28 Mar 2005 12:25 AM (UTC)
I've found two issues with the MSP pluging distributed with MUSHClient

1) It appears to assume that an mp3 will be played, or that a filetype for the sound file will be specified, I'm not sure which. Either is contrary to the MSP protocol spec. There is no requirement to specify the sound type in the !!SOUND line, and the file may be in a format other than mp3. For example, Medievia uses WAV files, and the !!SOUND line does not contain the filetype. I've managed to hack the current MSP plugin to handle this, but it makes it Medievia specific, and that doesn't seem right.

2) It is not required that their be text to display before or after the !!SOUND line. On muds that don't do this (again, like Medievia), this means the MSP plugin outputs a blank line, breaking up the formatting of the normal text on the screen. I fixed this by commenting the output bit entirely, but I don't think this is really the right way to do this, either.

--Kernighan

Kernighan's scripts for Medievia
http://www.geocities.com/mishikal/
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kethlar   USA  (7 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Fri 01 Apr 2005 03:38 PM (UTC)
I have looked around and I cant seem to find this error which Iam getting... Actually I just dont understand what it is saying.

I am playing a SWRs mud... SWReality 1.0, codebase to be exact. And I have the MSP plugin and it is enabled and the triggers are enabled... but I get this error:

http://www.wheelmud.org/odomus/Images/mspprob.jpg

This is the best way of giving it to you, so you know exaclty what iam talking about.

I have the MSP setto that above all correct and such and for some reason it jsut doesnt want to read form there or something.... I cant figure out what is wrong. Device Type? It is a .WAV file and I dont know why it isnt working at all... NEver used MSP frainkly, and I wanted to try it now iam getting this blecy thing can anyone of you guyshelp me?

-Kethlar

"In the END everyone dies, I just make that END come sooner"
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #12 on Fri 01 Apr 2005 06:44 PM (UTC)
Whats the line that it's triggering on? (you'll have to disable the plugin or whatever to see the full text with all the technical goodies.)

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kernighan   USA  (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Fri 01 Apr 2005 11:43 PM (UTC)

If you read my post (immediately preceding yours), you'll note that I stated that the msp-plugin as distributed by MushClient won't work for WAV encoded sound files. You can fix this manually by editing the plugin, and having it append ".WAV" to the filename (but I view this as a hack, and not a great solution). By default, mushclient will only play mp3 based sound files with its current MSP plugin.

Kernighan's scripts for Medievia
http://www.geocities.com/mishikal/
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Sat 02 Apr 2005 03:47 AM (UTC)
It should also be noted that 'most' systems that play back content will correctly run an mp3, even if it is incorrectly named '.wav', so appending it might work with both, even if wrong. Other formats...

The "let me guess what the file is from the internals, instead of supplying me with actually information about what it "should" be" is a Microsoft aberration. In general, its safer to 'tell' an application what it is looking at, not expect it to guess. Though, the most common case of it causing problems it trying to download a .zip from a site running and MS server, which incorrectly uses the default "text" type. Any non-MS browser assume that the type is right, and tries to display it, instead of downloading it. Can drive a person totally nuts and also creates a 'huge' security hole, since the OS can take a file that looks like .zip, decide its a .mp3 when it arrives, from the file name, try to play it and suddenly decide that no, its a .avi, with some imbedded HTML, which then loads a web page, probably without you having the slightest idea it happened. Not real great design... And MSP having been created first for use on Windows applications, continues this insane trend. :p
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

46,280 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]