[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Mac Version of MUSHClient

Mac Version of MUSHClient

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Hlao-roo   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 14 Jul 2001 01:56 AM (UTC)
Hi. I've several friends who use Macs (if I could afford one, I'd use one too) and all whom frequently complain that they can't find a decent Client program for Macintosh. Would it be terribly difficult to make a Macintosh version of MUSHClient?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 14 Jul 2001 06:20 AM (UTC)
It wouldn't be particularly easy. I use Microsoft's compiler with MFC libraries, which *are* supposed to be compilable on the Macintosh, however last time I enquired the Mac version cost thousands of dollars. I would need to sell a *lot* of copies to justify spending that much on the tools, and as Macs now have around 7% of the total PC market, I doubt if I would.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Madjack   Ukraine  (16 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 26 Feb 2009 07:09 AM (UTC)
I would like to help develop mac os x version of Mushclient.

Macbook pro late 2008 (MB471)
[Go to top] top

Posted by WillFa   USA  (525 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Thu 26 Feb 2009 07:45 AM (UTC)
Mushclient runs good under Wine, and I have a friend that is running it under Crossover.

I'm not sure how much more 'native' MC would be if compiled for the mac...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 26 Feb 2009 07:48 AM (UTC)
A lot of MUD clients exists for mac, but they are ugly and not usable. MUSHClient would be a leader in mac mud clients category. And MC would be more beauteful and usable by mac users.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Thu 26 Feb 2009 08:28 AM (UTC)
Let me let you into a secret - for the last couple of years all my development and testing of MUSHclient has been on an iMac.

To do this I purchased Parallels (for around $AUD 100), and installed an OEM copy of Windows XP (itself around $AUD 130). This is fast and convenient for me, it is quick and easy to use.

I also have various other PCs around the house, and can test Vista and Ubuntu when required.

As far as running MUSHclient on a Mac goes, you have the cheap option, or the slightly more expensive, but easier option.

• Cheap - install Boot Camp, and under Boot Camp, install Ubuntu (or another Linux), then install Wine, and run MUSHclient for nothing. The only problem is rebooting to use MUSHclient, however mudding sessions tend to be long, and rebooting only takes a minute or so.

• Less cheap - install Boot Camp, and under Boot Camp, install Windows XP (or Windows 98 or similar), and run MUSHclient for the cost, if anything, of your Windows disk.

• Also cheap - install Parallels, or VMware Fusion (around $US 80), then under either of them install Ubuntu. This way you can have both OS/X and Ubuntu running simultaneously.

• More expensive - install Parallels, or VMware Fusion (around $US 80), then under either of them install Windows XP or Windows 98. You can then run MUSHclient under that, and switch to OS/X to get your mail etc.

Quote:

I would like to help develop mac os x version of Mushclient.

Here is the source code, you are welcome to go for it ...

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=9265

The big problem is that the source uses the MFC libraries, so a fairly major rewrite would be required.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 26 Feb 2009 08:41 AM (UTC)

[Go to top] top

Posted by Aheram   (23 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Mon 13 Apr 2009 07:28 AM (UTC)
Been using MUSHclient under Parallels/Win XP (via Boot Camp), but it will be awesome if I can play it natively.

MUSHclient was one of the main programs that made me invest in Parallels and Win XP (about 200 bucks) when I got my Mac. The others one were Microsoft Expression Web 2 and Paint Shop Pro.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Highlander   USA  (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Fri 16 Mar 2012 02:25 PM (UTC)
I know that the last response to this was several years ago, but I believe that the problem/topic remains valid. Other clients exist for the Mac, but all seem to fall short. Atlantis seems to be the best to me, but I miss some features from MC, like tab completion that the author of Atlantis is hesitant to implement. Is there any hope for a native Mac version of MUSHClient, even as someone's project on the side?

Thanks!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 16 Mar 2012 10:41 PM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11157

It works quite well under Wine on a Mac.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

35,730 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]